Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Guards at Super Charger Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about security the other night, late at night while charging during a long road trip. I end up on the road quite a bit late at night and living in the midwest, quite frequently I pull into a station and find nobody is there. I'm always happy to see another car charging. There is one station I use in Columbus, Ohio, which is near a bar that has a lot of sort of rowdy clientele coming out late at night during weekends right behind station. There is also something a little unnerving about sitting in your car, being tethered just sitting there all alone late at night. I know, none of this is an issue during daylight hours, but in this part of the country, with some of the locations I end up charging at, and late at night... just makes you consider what options you would have should you have a situation. Being tied to the charger eliminates any quick egress out of a situation. Call me paranoid, but I do try to be aware of my surroundings late at night the best I can. The idea of security guards out here in the middle of nowhere... simply won't happen. However, it wouldn't be that difficult to set up cameras at stations, although there may be some inherited liability for Tesla and/or the landowner should the camera actually "see" an event unfold. I certainly don't want to give anyone reading this post the impression that I don't care for charging late at night, or regret my purchase. I absolutely love my car, and continue to recommend it. The fact is one is just as likely to have an issue late at night at a gas station, however, there is something weird when you are the ONLY person sitting out in the middle of nowhere, anchored by an electrical chord.

I was thinking about security the other night, late at night while charging during a long road trip. I end up on the road quite a bit late at night and living in the midwest, quite frequently I pull into a station and find nobody is there. I'm always happy to see another car charging. There is one station I use in Columbus, Ohio, which is near a bar that has a lot of sort of rowdy clientele coming out late at night during weekends right behind station. There is also something a little unnerving about sitting in your car, being tethered just sitting there all alone late at night. I know, none of this is an issue during daylight hours, but in this part of the country, with some of the locations I end up charging at, and late at night... just makes you consider what options you would have should you have a situation. Being tied to the charger eliminates any quick egress out of a situation. Call me paranoid, but I do try to be aware of my surroundings late at night the best I can. The idea of security guards out here in the middle of nowhere... simply won't happen. However, it wouldn't be that difficult to set up cameras at stations, although there may be some inherited liability for Tesla and/or the landowner should the camera actually "see" an event unfold. I certainly don't want to give anyone reading this post the impression that I don't care for charging late at night, or regret my purchase. I absolutely love my car, and continue to recommend it. The fact is one is just as likely to have an issue late at night at a gas station, however, there is something weird when you are the ONLY person sitting out in the middle of nowhere, anchored by an electrical chord.
For this reason, I and others have wanted an "eject" button for the charger that tosses out the connector automatically without getting out of the driver's seat. Hopefully, with robot-snake chargers, this will become a reality. Of course, I'd want an override if the power goes out (unlock charge port -- the car has an unlock charge port feature in its controls, and now I understand why).
...Oh, and having an IP/WIFI at a charging station would be pretty sweet.
Profit center? Sell Internet connection ...
Yes and all the smart thieves now wear hoodies, face masks and gloves making cameras ineffective.
We could have surveilance imagery signature registries for all people in our country, but right now, that is not a capability that most law enforcement will use for the sake of tracking down an electronics thief.

About the most they could do with imagery is set up a signature profile for the thieves, and if they ever get caught, go to law enforcement and the court and present evidence that the signature does or does not match the suspects. (I'm going to intentionally remain obtuse about what types of signature systems could be used, because some have practical applications to both control people by bad groups, and information for criminals to avoid getting caught by those employing systems for good purposes.)
Same can said for a Glock!
No, no you can't. Dogs don't accidentally go off and kill a kid every 12 hours on average. They also can't be used to massacre school kids. No, dogs aren't the same as guns. They aren't a man's best friend unless you're ISIS.
I think that's regional: I think the effectiveness of that type of system depends on the local support systems set into place. To the properly trained person with good morals in an area that that training will effectively integrate (mostly politics), it works fine. To an untrained person or person who has bad morals, or in an area that it does not integrate (bad politics, etc.), then the dog would be first choice for many. Each one may or may not be appropriate for the particular person and/or region.

I fully accept that currently, Teslas tend to be in areas that are more "dog friendly" among those two choices, and I expect that to be true for a fairly large chunk of time. I'm fine with that.
I have both a dog and a Glock. Never had to use either at a supercharger
True. At various times of my life I have had either or both of dog or Glock. I have never been in a situation at a SuperCharger that would have been aided by one of those items, and I suspect that I was also OK most times I was at a Chademo station, but the Chademo is a little more iffy.

Using Chademo I've already been stuck in a few lower-end parking lots, and sometimes even within a few blocks or less of a ghetto. Usually, the neighborhoods are a step above that, but it only takes one. Similarly, some SuperChargers are not that far from areas that while not in and of themselves ghettos, are frequented by those who used to be from ghettos, such as the Manteca Supercharger located in a mall in an area (Manteca) that is considered "not as bad as" some local ghettos (Modesto, Stockton, etc.); I can actually think of many times that I was at a SuperCharger or Chademo charging site and felt uncomfortable around the locals. Oddly enough, I've internalized it as a generalized fear every time I plug in. (Aha! Profit center ...)

In most cases the SuperChargers are sited to avoid a lot of this type of problem.

I like the idea of at least one person at every SuperCharger carrying a strong defensive mechanism (like a dog). Of course, the security guard helps too: they can order up some response by the local law enforcement, and have human-quality control on the information passed on.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiggerlily
Yes.. multiply that times all the super charger stations ...

If I was a Tesla shareholder, I'd be concerned...

Even as a present Tesla owner.. this concerns me..

as this takes away financial resources away from what the company needs to handling "security"...

How quickly you all forget they are charging now for SC overages and idle time... Where's that money going? As it was quoted as being "immaterial to the bottom line" its feasibly being shuffled around to pay for better care of the infrastructure.