Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self /Auto Park sucks!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About time Elon dispatched just 10% of engineering brain power to real-world issues of model S3X such as navigation, radio, emergency braking and parking for those too small to look over the clouds or too old or wised up to head to mars with their vehicle.

I've never had an incident, but I always do pay close attention and keep my foot hovering over the brake.

I find both parallel and perpendicular parking slow, but I find the parallel parking is not much slower than most drivers, the perpendicular parking with it's unnecessary extra back and forth on every parking job, and it's extremely slow speed however is extremely slow, and good at making other drivers impatient.

Autopark doesn't use the rear camera at all, just the parking sensors. That's why you have to have cars on each side of you when perpendicular parking or fore/aft when parallel parking.

(Well for AP1.0 hardware anyway. I have no idea how this will work with AP2.0 hardware.)

Bruce.

Twice I've had it identify parallel spots on the end and correctly park. Not sure how it did that since it was just sidewalk behind the spot.

Regarding parallel parking being slow... no matter how slow it ends up being, it has to be faster than some people I know (not looking at my wife here... really not looking over there) My wi... some people try to park between two cars and it takes then somewhere around 27.23 times of going back and forth, stopping around 5-10 feet from the car in front or behind before changing direction.

I am not sure, but I suspect that her approach is to move until she cant see the bumper of the car in front or behind her, then change direction... <grin>. ... er... I meant... "that person", not "her".

(BTW, this has nothing to do with male v. female driving, I have a friend who is a guy who is even worse!)

• Funny
Reactions: Sully's8
Regarding parallel parking being slow... no matter how slow it ends up being, it has to be faster than some people I know
I've found that parallel parking is "average" for speed, it's certainly not great, but many people are worse. But perpendicular parking is atrocious, I've seen some people who are pretty bad at it, but only a few take longer than the Tesla does. (though to be fair, the end result is centred in the stall and straight, even if it stays 3 feet from the back of the stall)

Used the Self / Auto park yesterday. I pulled up next to a car and put the car in reverse. I selected the auto park button and let the car parallel park. The car proceeded to back up into the space. It then pulled forward to straighten out but came too close to the curb and the front right rim rubbed ... luckily i hit the brakes and stopped the car. i now have about 4 inches of curb rash on my rim. Thanks Tesla!!!
That parking space must not be stored in the neural network yet. :confused:

What's really going to suck is when the AP 2.0 people show off their flawless autopark.

Some AP 1.0 owners will get the wrong idea, and they won't be as vigilant as they should. It's one of those things where Tesla attempted something that wasn't really viable with AP1.0 hardware, but they did it anyways. It's no where close to the 99.9% perfect kind of score I would demand out of something before I declared it viable.

I see no reason why AP 2.0 won't perform awesomely.

• Funny
Reactions: 182RG
The wheels should come with mini-airbags that deploy when it detects imminent collision. Make it happen Elon!
Haha, you should tweet it to @boredElonMusk twitter account.

I've had no curb rash issues with auto-park. It's performed flawlessly and gives me a thrill each time I have used it. It does a better job than I would and it's so cool to sit back and watch it! My issue is just getting it to notice that there's a spot I want to parallel park in. I drive forward and backwards and there's a perfect spot but it doesn't engage so I am sure I look pretty foolish going back and forth to someone looking at it from the outside.

Don't use Auto park! Plain and simple!

I used it a few times when the car was new, but frankly it was too slow for my liking (guy honking behind you because you are taking forever to || park). .. but also, I had zero faith in it's ability to park in tight spaces.

I wonder if other cars are better at self parking? Anyone know?

My MS parks so much better than my Lexus LS and much quicker, also. I have had no problems with parallel parking or with perpendicular parking (but that is more of a gee-wiz maneuver). I've always had faith the car would operate as advertised but I also know from flying to be ready to take over.

For me, auto parallel park does a good job, I use it all the time and I've never had any problem with it getting too close or touching the curb. It consistently ends up perfectly parallel a comfortable several inches from the curb. I do monitor its progress closely but I've never once had to intervene. It can park in a fairly tight spot - I believe spec is min gap of 2ft in front and 2ft behind required.

Could it be a bit faster? - sure, but it's not annoyingly slow by any means. I use it because of the consistent results I get and therefore safety from curb rash. If I have one complaint about auto parallel park, it's that instead of centering exactly between the car in front and behind, it tends to park a bit closer to the car ahead.

Auto perpendicular park on the other hand is too slow to use in a typical busy parking lot, with its three-point maneuver - it makes for a good demo but I don't use it.

all of you are lucky. i'm 2 months in and i parallel park 5 days a week at my kids school and have only seen the P icon on two occasions. and both times i was still rolling forward and didn't stop in time to activate it.

i really don't know how to get it to find a parallel parking space. i have tried pulling up farther, using my blinker, being super close to the cars on the right, etc etc. it hasn't picked up a space since like week 2. what am i doing wrong?

all of you are lucky. i'm 2 months in and i parallel park 5 days a week at my kids school and have only seen the P icon on two occasions. and both times i was still rolling forward and didn't stop in time to activate it.

i really don't know how to get it to find a parallel parking space. i have tried pulling up farther, using my blinker, being super close to the cars on the right, etc etc. it hasn't picked up a space since like week 2. what am i doing wrong?
I believe if there is more than one car length of curb space it does not engage for parallel parking. Likewise if there are two perpendicular spaces adjacent to each other it doesn't engage. I think the logic might be there is ample space in both scenarios for you to park by your self. No sure

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec