Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling A Beta Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t seen this yet, but has anyone sold a car with FSD beta on it? I bought my Model Y from a third-party and FSD stuck with it and now with all the great offers in used Teslas, I’m wondering if beta would stick with the car if I decided to sell (assuming FSD stuck, too).

Any ideas?

Actually I bet it would be removed and applied to the car you are buying. Dirty Tesla did this and the Beta transferred from his 3 to his new Y.

Since you earn the Bata by making the Safety Score the new owner would likely need to make a Safety Score in order to earn the Beta too. It would be too dangerous for Tesla to just allow a new owner access to the Beta without the Safety Score test and some time in the driver's seat.

Actually I bet it would be removed and applied to the car you are buying. Dirty Tesla did this and the Beta transferred from his 3 to his new Y.

Since you earn the Bata by making the Safety Score the new owner would likely need to make a Safety Score in order to earn the Beta.
I agree with @JulienW. I remember seeing something 'official' that said the beta didn't transfer. I don't remeber where but I'll try to find it.

That was sort of my thinking, too, with the same reasoning. I was also surprised he was able to get it in his Y, since this was so early in the testing.
He probably got the beta on his Y because he was already an approved tester. I highly doubt they would automatically give the beta access to a new owner with zero driving history.

If you are selling your car directly to another individua, rather than through a dealer, the software goes with the car. The only way it gets deleted is if you sell your car to Tesla or trade it in on another Tesla. Tesla will delete the software from the trade in and try to sell it again to its used car owner. Furthermore, the software doesn't get transferred onto your new car. You must buy FSD again, and qualify again with the needed Safety Score in order to get FSD beta.

The software is definitely attached to the vin and not to the person getting the Safety Score. How do we know this? In another thread, an owner who qualified for FSD beta with one of his Teslas, complained that had to qualify again with Saftey testing with each of his other two Teslas.

If you are selling your car directly to another individua, rather than through a dealer, the software goes with the car. The only way it gets deleted is if you sell your car to Tesla or trade it in on another Tesla. Tesla will delete the software from the trade in and try to sell it again to its used car owner. Furthermore, the software doesn't get transferred onto your new car. You must buy FSD again, and qualify again with the needed Safety Score in order to get FSD beta.

The software is definitely attached to the vin and not to the person getting the Safety Score. How do we know this? In another thread, an owner who qualified for FSD beta with one of his Teslas, complained that had to qualify again with Saftey testing with each of his other two Teslas.
Yeah, thought about that, too. With Dirty Tesla, it was all done through Tesla. But I’m curious how the beta would be handled via a third-party or private sale. I wanna believe it would stay, but was wondering if anyone had heard or experienced anything.

Just to be clear (because they’re often confused), “FSD capability” that is paid for and “FSD beta” that is explicitly granted by Tesla are 2 different things. FSD capability (purchased) has transferred with 3rd party sales, but FSD beta can be (and has been) pulled from a car/owner at Tesla’s discretion. We don’t know for sure, but until more actual examples I’d bet it doesn’t transfer:

Tesla states that Safety Score is independent of the driver and the car. Safety Score isn’t the same thing as FSD beta, but it certainly seems very tied together. From: Safety Score Beta
How does my Safety Score work if I have more than one vehicle?
Your Safety Score is vehicle specific. If you have more than one Tesla vehicle, each one of your Tesla vehicles will have its own Safety Score.

What happens to my Safety Score if I sell my vehicle?
If the vehicle ownership changes, the Safety Score data previously collected will not be used for the vehicle under the new owner, nor will it be used for a new Tesla vehicle you purchase.

This guy has 3 cars, but only one got FSD beta: Does one safety test & download of Beta FSD transfer to our other owned Model 3

If you are selling your car directly to another individua, rather than through a dealer, the software goes with the car. The only way it gets deleted is if you sell your car to Tesla or trade it in on another Tesla.....
You are conflating the FSD the Package/"part of the car" with the Beta. The Beta is a granted privilege that Tesla is allowing you to test at Tesla's full discretion. Tesla can and will remove (has been removed from at least one tester) this privilege at any time for any reason and you have zero recourse.

Tesla is walking a razor tightrope allowing the public testing of the Beta. No way are they going to allow the responsibility that you worked and earned to be transferred to someone who may have never driven a Tesla in their life and knows nothing about the Beta except they bought a "fully self driving" car and can FULLY relax as it pulls out in front of a bus and kills them and their family.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.46.21 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Phlier
You are conflating the FSD the Package/"part of the car" with the Beta. The Beta is a granted privilege that Tesla is allowing you to test at Tesla's full discretion. Tesla can and will remove (has been removed from at least one tester) this privilege at any time for any reason and you have zero recourse.

Tesla is walking a razor tightrope allowing the public testing of the Beta. No way are they going to allow the responsibility that you worked and earned to be transferred to someone who may have never driven a Tesla in their life and knows nothing about the Beta except they bought a "fully self driving" car and can FULLY relax as it pulls out in front of a bus and kills them and their family.

View attachment 730576
You seem to forget that anyone can drive your car right now if FSD Beta is on the car. It makes no difference if that person never got qualifued with a Safety Score. If what you say is true, why didn't Tesla qualify the driver, rather than the vin?

I would guess that the beta would pulled as soon as you remove the car from your account by reporting to Tesla that you've sold it.
The FSD iis NOT attached to the account. It is attached to the VIN only. A Tesla owner with 3 different Teslas (3 vins on 1 account), must take a Safety Test on each car before each car can qualify to have FSD on it. This actually ly happened to someone who complained in another thread that this was unfair. So it is doubtful FSD can be pulled, unless the car is actually back in Tesla's possession.

I was going to private sell my Model 3 when my Model S delivers. Will advertise that the car has FSD Beta for value, but as-is with no warranties if it is removed. I’m private sold many cars and it’s the buyers problem as long as you don’t make any promises or warranties. I’m not going to lie to my buyer, just not guarantee anything.