Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling P+, ordering P85D -- try new color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the same dilemma. I had arrest-me-red cars for 20 years before getting my Model S - had to go with black for it since red wasn't an option yet when I got mine. Now I can't decide what to do for my P85D. Go back to red, stick with black, or try something altogether different like the new steel gray.

Same considerations: I've really come to like black and I can keep my upgrade on the down low with the neighbors and coworkers, but I've always had a red car and now's my chance to get back there and make the new car feel totally new again, or that gray does look good...

Oh, decisions, decisions...

Color may have been my most difficult decision.
Would love a Black, Red or White one for a week, but not a steady diet.
If you have a thing for red cars, the Tesla red is both classy and strong.
I would strongly consider it if I were you.

- - - Updated - - -

The other consideration of course is the Black interior.
I am not a big fan of Red with Black but the Red with Tan is beautiful.
The limitation of interior colors helped me to narrow it down, but not so sure in your case.

i currently have a "Stormtrooper" Pearl White w/ Grey wheels and grey interior P85. I love it to death. i truly do. turns more heads than any other color.

however, upon ordering the P85D, i'm changing to Steel Grey for a couple reasons:

- i've seen too many white honda's with grey rims (rice rockets) lately. i think the trend is going mainstream, so it's a good time to get out of it.
- i don't like the Pearl White with silver turbine wheels.
- i DO believe, since i'm paying quite a bit to upgrade, that it's wise to get a different color to have a different car experience
- the new grey is the most worthy color outside of Pearl White. the black-on-black-on-black is verrrrry tempting, but probably a bit too much.... black. :)

brown is rare for a reason.... I had a brown loaner and felt 90+ years old driving it....

- - - Updated - - -

I've had the grey, now MC red, I ordered the P85D in black with the grey wheels.... I really like the red, but want to switch it up...

I was really hoping the P85D would be available in a new color to distinguish it... a brighter electric blue or something....

fiksegts, your garage is amazing! Since this is your third model s, what options are you getting/not getting that were/weren't on your other 2 teslas?

I love the red, it catches my attention more than any other tesla color, but I'm unsure I can live with it everyday. Same thing with pearl white.

I was fighting with myself if I should go with the lovely red for my new car, but think I would not live with it every day. I do have the pearl white and will order the same setup. The pearl white has a "neutral" beauty when you order it with the gray 21 turbines, pano and spoiler. AND it looks ok even when very dirty. That was the reason I stayed away from the dark colors, they look great when newly detailed and sh%$#t with the first dirt on it.

Hi all, OP here. It's very embarrassing to say, but I am absolutely paralyzed about this color situation. Not sure what it is about tesla's that cause such issues with color choice!

My VIN has already been issued and I seem to have a very small window that the factory will accept some color changes. I am torn between my current blue/tan/21 inch greys and white/tan/21 inch greys. I have the latter spec'd currently but when I see that combo in person it doesn't get me that excited. The primary reason I'm considering a color change is precisely what Mnlevin described -- if I'm spending the incremental $40K then I might as well make the car feel as 'new' as possible. Am worried that picking up the exact same combo after writing that big check won't be that exciting.

Ugh! Cannot decide. So torn and I'm sure Tesla is getting irritated with me. I do feel that whatever car I take home I could fall in love with.

I personally would not go with what you have currently. I am not a fan of the blue or the white but I do like the MC white and MC red. I would go with the MC red if you feel you could look at it every day. Whenever I see a MC red I stare.

I'm having the same dilemma. I had arrest-me-red cars for 20 years before getting my Model S - had to go with black for it since red wasn't an option yet when I got mine. Now I can't decide what to do for my P85D. Go back to red, stick with black, or try something altogether different like the new steel gray.

Same considerations: I've really come to like black and I can keep my upgrade on the down low with the neighbors and coworkers, but I've always had a red car and now's my chance to get back there and make the new car feel totally new again, or that gray does look good...

Oh, decisions, decisions...

FWIW, I decided to make a config change a couple of weeks ago and switched from black to MC red.

In the end, I decided having something that felt altogether new and different overrode all other considerations.

And as my wife pointed out, if I end up not liking the color I can just get it wrapped to another.

I was torn between MC White and a darker color too.
The White seemed easier to keep clean and more dramatic in contrast with the nose cone and in a way more exclusive.....but the darker colors were just more exciting to me.
I would go with the Blue, strictly because it captures my attention.