Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am thinking of black swan, especially for 2022... therefore, i am analyzing the benefits of BPS width vs straight puts...

assuming $2M capital for 12/23:

-p950 x50 credit $115k, width 0
-p950/+p900 x500 credit $487k, width 50
-p950/+p850 x250 credit $379k, width 100
-p950/+p800 x175 credit $322k, width 150
-p950/+p750 x150 credit $300k, width 200
-p950/+p700 x100 credit $205k, width 250
-p950/+p650 x75 credit $159k, width 300

if i want less risk and i prefer capital preservation instead of more income, the lowest trading risk is just straight up sell puts instead of BPS (regardless of width), amiright? There is no way stock will drop to zero. Capital is gone on BPS max loss.

thoughts? comments? objections? analysis?

TIA!
This is why I flipped to naked puts (by that I mean partially cash-covered) during the current times, the premiums are excellent, the management is easy. Yes I took a hit on the p1130's I had in play, but that was just because the market moved mid-roll and I decided to take another strategy, I wasn't forced into anything

Main thing is, make sure you have enough cash/margin to take a sizeable drop in the SP without incurring a margin call, don't over-extend. Obviously being able to fully cover all sold positions is the one that will allow you to sleep soundly, I find selling 1.5x the amount of my available cash leaves a very nice down-side buffer, I have no margin account as such

And if things go all Texas Institute up on you, then you just rebuy the puts and resell them the next week, or roll if you have the facility, you'll either gain more premium, or be able to go down a few strikes or, if very DITM, maybe nothing, but you won't lose out

Roll them a couple of months out and you'll likely be able to reduce the number of contracts substantially, or take a decent premium upgrade

Regardless, be sure to keep some extrinsic in the position to avoid early-assignment

i am thinking of black swan, especially for 2022... therefore, i am analyzing the benefits of BPS width vs straight puts...

if i want less risk and i prefer capital preservation instead of more income, the lowest trading risk is just straight up sell puts instead of BPS (regardless of width), amiright? There is no way stock will drop to zero. Capital is gone on BPS max loss.

TIA!
If using cash, you can only do 21 naked puts, not 50. Other numbers are off too.

TIA!
As @BornToFly points out a lot, the greatest advantage to pure put selling as opposed to spreads is that - in the case of Tesla and only Tesla - since we all agree Tesla SP will most likely be higher around 2030 than it is now - you can always roll them out in time for a credit, no matter how low the SP goes.

The % return per week will of course drop when the puts are underwater, but they will still be rollable indefinitely until Tesla rises again.

Spreads on the other hand, if they go completely ITM (both sides), you're in a pickle. Ask me how I know? :)

What you could do with capital as great as you have is to sell the pure puts once, netting you the $115k credit.

When 12/23 comes along and the credit is earned (let's assume), you keep pure put selling against the original $2M, but the new $115k is used as margin for spreads. Worst case they go underwater and you lost one week of premium from put selling.

IV is quite low at the moment, I guess today it would just range bound so will wait to sell BPS later this week if there's any chance of IV pop after 12/9. If the drop previously already price-in the nothing burger of 12/9, then will just go ahead to sell BPS. Likely will just go for -850/+650, will wait and see the price action after 12/9.

Anyway, will set a limit order for $6-$7 today first, but it won't get filled for sure unless there is a crazy pop of IV today or huge drop of SP today.

Reactions: UltradoomY
IV is quite low at the moment, I guess today it would just range bound so will wait to sell BPS later this week if there's any chance of IV pop after 12/9. If the drop previously already price-in the nothing burger of 12/9, then will just go ahead to sell BPS. Likely will just go for -850/+650, will wait and see the price action after 12/9.

Anyway, will set a limit order for $6-$7 today first, but it won't get filled for sure unless there is a crazy pop of IV today or huge drop of SP today.

Just wait to see what happens to IV when we have a large upswing. 6 weeks ago, IV was 1/2 what it is now.

Sell your BPS, etc. now, and close them out during the next IV crush, if you are doing longer than weeklies. Not advice, of course.

Reactions: ZeApelido
Can you guys please chime in with your opinion regarding wide or narrow width spreads?

It appears that narrow spreads are less risky than wide ones. For example, for 12/17:
-900p/+700p - max return $587, max risk: $19,414, prob of profit: 93.9%
but
-920p/+900p - max return $210, max risk $1,790, prob of profit: 90.1%

So, with the wide spread I'm risking $19k for $587 but with the narrow one I'm only risking $1.7k for $210 with pretty much same probability of success. If I sell 2 narrow spreads, I'll be getting about the same premium but risking less than 5 times the loss. Even if price is below $900, causing max loss on the narrow spread, the wide spread will produce $586, so, outperforming the narrow by $586+$1,790=2,376 and by about $876 stock price, only $24 less, wide spread will lose more money.

Wouldn't it be more statistically profitable to sell narrow spreads at about the same distance as wide and risk much less capital for similar premiums? Even if manageability of narrow spreads precludes them from rolling, the potential for large losses is much less than wide spreads given the far distance from current price

Last edited:
Can you guys please chime in with your opinion regarding wide or narrow width spreads?

It appears that narrow spreads are less risky than wide ones. For example, for 12/17:
but

So, with the wide spread I'm risking $19k for $587 but with the narrow one I'm only risking $1,7k for $210 with pretty much same probability of success. If I sell 2 narrow spreads, I'll be getting about the same premium but risking less than 5 times the loss. Even if price is below $900, causing max loss on the narrow spread, the wide spread will produce $586, so, outperforming the narrow by $586+$1,790=2,376 and by about $876 stock price, only $24 less, wide spread will lose more money.

Wouldn't it be more statistically profitable to sell narrow spreads at about the same distance as wide and risk much less capital for similar premiums? Even if manageability of narrow spreads precludes them from rolling, the potential for large losses is much less than wide spreads given the far distance from current price
The potential for max loss will be much higher for narrower spread because the number of spreads has to be increased in order for you to collect the same amount of premium as the wider spread alternative. More spread at the same short strike = larger loss potential.

The potential for max loss will be much higher for narrower spread because the number of spreads has to be increased in order for you to collect the same amount of premium as the wider spread alternative. More spread at the same short strike = larger loss potential.
2 narrow spreads would produce about the same profit, and below $860, only $40 dollars below max loss of the 2 narrow spreads, wide spread will lose more money than 2 narrow ones.

Reactions: FlamingPIG

but

So, with the wide spread I'm risking $19k for $587 but with the narrow one I'm only risking $1.7k for $210 with pretty much same probability of success. If I sell 2 narrow spreads, I'll be getting about the same premium but risking less than 5 times the loss. Even if price is below $900, causing max loss on the narrow spread, the wide spread will produce $586, so, outperforming the narrow by $586+$1,790=2,376 and by about $876 stock price, only $24 less, wide spread will lose more money.

I'm actually experimenting with this approach; more contracts with narrower spreads. It seems to work well for my conservative margin strategy. I have recently started to use the Interactive brokers trader platform(desktop version) and it is actually very functional. Liking it so far.

2 narrow spreads would produce about the same profit, and below $860, only $40 dollars below max loss of the 2 narrow spreads, wide spread will lose more money than 2 narrow ones.
Using your example, you will need roughly 5 narrower spreads to get the same premium as 2 wider spreads. Wider spreads in this case buy you a $50 cushion. One should not expect the stock to crater to 700 without early intervention so max loss is more or less inconsequential. The more immediate and important factors are chance to profit and margin of safety. You have to decide if a $50 cushion in the stock price is worth more than the lower margin requirement.

One of the reasons many here chose wider spreads is related to manageability. Your 910/900 is not really manageable, if it goes ITM, while your 900/700 can be managed down to about half the spread.. In that scenario, the short P could be rolled down OTM if required and the long P remains as your insurance. @adiggs has spent a lot of time on this and he's far more knowledgeable on the topic than I am. What I mean: you'd get better not-advice from him....

No. I'm keeping the margin used constant and assessing max loss and premium for different spread sizes using that amount of margin.
But... a $200 spread = max loss & buying power of ($200-premium) *100.... so in the BPS case it should be $19522. With ~100k margin/buying power, you can only sell 5 of those. I guess the confusing thing is that with spreads max loss == buying power used, so I don't understand your table.

One of the reasons many here chose wider spreads is related to manageability. Your 910/900 is not really manageable, if it goes ITM, while your 900/700 can be managed down to about half the spread.. In that scenario, the short P could be rolled down OTM if required and the long P remains as your insurance. @adiggs has spent a lot of time on this and he's far more knowledgeable on the topic than I am. What I mean: you'd get better not-advice from him....
Additionally to this - unless @adiggs is already replying with a novel.... :p
Just search the thread for narrow vs wide spreads.
With a narrow spread - it can quickly be negative even if the strike is slightly threatened because both the short and long gain about as quickly.
So it really has to be a set it and forget it trade, not something you would be able to manage.

TIA!
I see that some of the numbers are off and that leads to the credits received being off. I suspect its because you figured out how many of each you could open based on margin usage - I agree with the conclusion even though I analyze assuming no margin (and then crank in the margin later - reasonable and successful people will approach this part differently).

For least risk and capital preservation, fully cash secured puts can't be beat. A full loss will require that the shares go to $0. If you're using margin to sell 50 of these instead of 22 (call it 25 for easy math), then a full loss is available at a share price of about $525 (1/2 of current).

The cash secured puts also provide the widest range of management options from the perma-roll to conversion to put spreads later.

But I like the bit more income that can be achieved using put spreads and (apparently) like you if I have $2M cash then I will put it all to work. If I were using $100 wide spreads then I'd open 200 of them. If I were doing $50 wide spreads then I'd open 400 of them. I mitigate this tendency of mine by using wider spreads - I use $300 wide spreads right now, and thus would 'hold back' and only open 65(ish) of them. Fewer contracts = less leverage = losses accumulate more slowly as the share price goes down.

A side benefit - if I were to open $100 wide spreads instead of $300 wide spreads and hold back 2/3rds of my money so I don't have it all at risk then my income is better with the $300 wide spread (insurance put is cheaper; contract counts are the same). Of course I can also lose 3x the money if I sit back and do nothing or the shares crash really badly. Except my losses would actually be the same - I'd have 3x the contracts on the $100 wide spreads (not-advice; that's how I'd do things, not necessarily because its smart).

The max loss is the same in all of these positions ($2M - credit received) - just that max loss arrives much later with the wide spreads over narrower spreads, and it arrives the latest on naked puts. And I can open these positions in a US retirement account that is otherwise restricted to CSP.

I did the analysis below a few days ago so the premiums will be out of date. However the main point of the exercise was to look at the premium received versus max loss risk for various spread sizes. Unlike what I'd previously thought, the wider spreads provide a similar premium for the (portfolio) margin used, sometimes slightly better. However the max loss dramatically increases with wider spread width. So if you are giving a higher priority to mitigating a black swan then a narrower spread width is preferable. The straight Put still results in a large max loss, you are just selling less of them.

Spread SizeOptionNumberPremiumRevenueMM Used USDMax Loss USD
$30​
1150/1180 BCS
121​
$1.88​
$22,748​
-$100,000​
$284,500​
$50​
1150/1200 BCS
91​
$2.62​
$23,804​
-$100,000​
$476,700​
$100​
1150/1250 BCS
69​
$3.57​
$24,743​
-$100,000​
$967,199​
$200​
1150/1350 BCS
61​
$4.15​
$25,379​
-$100,000​
$1,961,999​
$30​
820/850 BPS
152​
$1.67​
$25,348​
$100,000​
$288,000​
$50​
800/850 BPS
105​
$2.40​
$25,166​
$100,000​
$479,000​
$100​
750/850 BPS
75​
$3.56​
$26,539​
$100,000​
$967,199​
$200​
650/850 BPS
63​
$4.78​
$29,996​
$100,000​
$1,954,499​
This is great info and important to understand about how portfolio margin differs from regular margin, at least on US brokerage accounts (is that Reg-T margin?), and further differs from US retirement account trading restrictions. Considering just how very different these numbers are from what I have available and am doing, these effectively make for an entirely different analysis.

With roughly immediate study on my part, I'm pretty sure that my whole analysis and thinking about what and how to do would get to be redone from scratch :)

but

Spreads are a form of leverage, enabling us to take on larger positions than we can achieve using straight up cash (cash secured puts). They're also leverage that is available in retirement accounts, where leverage in the form of margin is not available in retirement accounts (US style anyway).

What makes the $20 wide spreads particularly risky is the tendency for some of us (me!) to use all of the available money. So if I were choosing between 1 of the $200 wide spreads and comparing its results to 1 of the $20 wide spreads, then I'd earn more premium in exchange for 10x max loss. Definitely not 10x on the premium side.

But that isn't what I'd be doing - I'd sell 1 of the $200 wide spreads or 10 of the $20 wide spreads. Now my capital at risk is identical - the difference is that max loss happens $20 ITM instead of $200 ITM.

Your analysis is entirely spot on and if you have the $20k to back one $200 wide spread or would choose to sell 2x $20 wide spreads, then yeah - same premium and a lot lower max loss. My personal problem in that situation is I'd be like "yeah - I can sell another 8 of these small spreads and earn 5x the premium!@%(&!". And then I'd do it, and then the insurance put would go ITM and I'd lose the $20k minus the collected premium (which will be larger on the 10x$20 wide spreads, but still).

So I use the $300 wide spreads for a few related reasons. First I do want some leverage in my positions - there's a big increase in income from using that leverage and I like that. However that also means I'm pulling my max loss strike up from $0 to my insurance put strike (assuming no management, the insurance put goes ITM, and I hold to expiration). In that 950/650 example of @Yoona shares need to reach 650 for a full loss, so that's part of my risk management - I'm a long ways away from a max loss.

From what I've seen these wide spreads behave almost identically to naked puts for some distance ITM on the short put. I haven't studied it intensely but I know that at 1/2 of the spread the available rolls are straight out in time for ~$0 debit/credit. In practice the rolls will be getting to look like that in the vicinity of the 1/2 way point. Below the mid point you'll be paying a debit for a straight roll, or rolling further ITM to get a credit. (Ugh). They get worse - it wouldn't matter if you were rolling 1 week or 3 months when you're that far ITM - it'll be the same dynamic for 1 or 10 week rolls as the midpoint in the spread is where time value on the two options is equal.

As best I can tell, up to about 1/4th of the way ITM the position is still behaving more like a naked put than not. Reasonable rolls are available that will improve the strike (maintaining the spread width) for a credit. I'm trying that out right now - I rolled 750/1050s for this week to 735/1035s for next week while the shares were at $970-975 (the 1/4th point ITM). These numbers are VERY dependent on the IV - over the summer IV was low enough that $40ish ITM was enough for a naked put to be into the rolling straight out for minimal credit land.

Anyway - with the wide spreads, the 1/4th point is big enough to provide some room to maneuver. On a $50 wide spread, those $1050 strike puts would have seen a max loss show up, at least for a day or two. And the good management rolls would be available down to ~$1038 with minimally effective rolls down to $1025; almost nothing considering how fast TSLA moves around.

Not directly in the discussion but applicable to me at least and controlling my tendency to use everything available, my overall account management target is to use at most 1/3rd of the account value as cash to back put spreads. The other 2/3rds are used to purchase long calls (usually 6 month DTE in retirement accounts and 24 months DTE in brokerage - a topic for another time) and use those calls to sell covered calls.

I don't do call spreads (personal choice) and I treat the 2/3rds in purchased calls as cash I would use in the event of a significant loss of cash. That'll keep my cash devoted to put spreads reasonably constant, and allows me to experience 2 max losses close together and still maintain the same level of put spread sales.

If I tried to hold that 2/3rds as cash, or 1/3rd in use, 1/3rd as cash not used, and 1/3rd in purchased calls, I would be looking at that 1/3rd unused cash and figuring out what I should do with it :)

Additionally to this - unless @adiggs is already replying with a novel.... :p
Just search the thread for narrow vs wide spreads.
With a narrow spread - it can quickly be negative even if the strike is slightly threatened because both the short and long gain about as quickly.
So it really has to be a set it and forget it trade, not something you would be able to manage.
No worries - novel incoming :p

But... a $200 spread = max loss & buying power of ($200-premium) *100.... so in the BPS case it should be $19522. With ~100k margin/buying power, you can only sell 5 of those. I guess the confusing thing is that with spreads max loss == buying power used, so I don't understand your table.
Here is a really, really short description of the difference in the two kinds of margin. @Chenkers is working with portfolio margin and that's just different :)