Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry USB Disconnected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see that their Sentry USB is disconnecting frequently since the last update?
It seems that since that update, maybe not related, my USB for Sentry is disconnected when I get in the car.
I have to unplug it and wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in and it works. I thought maybe it was something the glovebox bumping it but there is not in there.
Also it is connected when I park then not connected when I get back in later.

Just curious if anyone else is running into this before I open up a ticket on it.

Anyone see that their Sentry USB is disconnecting frequently since the last update?
It seems that since that update, maybe not related, my USB for Sentry is disconnected when I get in the car.
I have to unplug it and wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in and it works. I thought maybe it was something the glovebox bumping it but there is not in there.

Just curious if anyone else is running into this before I open up a ticket on it.

Yes, I have noticed that as well. Have seen at least one other thread on it as well. If you do open a ticket for it they will likely kick it back saying "caused by firmware, wait for next firmware update" but you can certainly try if you want.

Had issues as well, would not have known but got the sentry icon on the new task bar and seen 3 times this week a cross no a red light. Had to format the usb. next day again ok for a day then today x again. So relying on dash cam and sentry but hay does not work.... all ok SO need to get my dash cam out again, probably better than the 2 to 3 kw loss in electric per day which is a lot of cost.

Yup I have gotten it like 3 times already.

My M3P was getting it's windshield replaced so I had them check out the usb issue. Of course it works perfectly for the two days my car was at the shop. They could not replicate the issue. And of course once I get my car back, it starts up again. Doesn't matter if its an SSD, factory samsung stick, or sandisk endurance card in USB reader, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm on the latest software update.

my usb drive, SD card and samsung SSD all failed to record anything with sentry mode. The software is on the latest update as well. Formatted a few times in the car, formatted on the computer, and created the TESLACAM file on the computer, but neither of the approaches work.

Reactions: beezy
Currently using the 2022 model 3 with usb glovebox. Recently the USB for TeslaCam "disconnects" for no reason, for which I have found a temporary solution:

1. Use a computer to create or convert the DISK to GPT / GUID (do not use MBR).

2. Create/format a single exfat volume labeled TESLADRIVE

3. Create an empty folder named TeslaCam on the new drive.

4. Plug into car BUT DO NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO FORMAT IT, if no red x or circle appears on the icon, hold the large square "RECORD" text button from main screen to re-activate drive.

Edit: I personally used “Disks” within Linux Mint (Ubuntu) to create / convert the disk from MBR to GPT, and then the exfat volume. But recommend Windows users use free MiniToolPartition - don’t forget to make the empty folder named TeslaCam or it will force you to format within the car (which is where the firmware bug lays when it formats it back to MBR exfat).

MSG to the mods: I will like this response instead of "spam advertising" across multiple threads. But they were all valid and you removed them all ;(

This response is fine (its a bit different than your other one), but do not post it in any other threads.

Thanks

Same here. I first noticed it when I had an epic blast, doing in a guy in a BMW M8 Competition, where we both lined up to see what he had to 60. He was using his launch mode and everything! After, I wanted to show my wife the video and there was nothing. I’ve seen the X many times since then. I switched drives and it still starts and stops. Glad to hear it’s not me alone, and a possible fix after next update.

I'm started having this issue after the 2022.12.2.3 update.

I've tried reformatting in my car, reformatting on a computer, changing the SSD from MBR to GPT and I'm still having this issue.

It appears to happen after my car goes to sleep, I have to unplug and plug the SSD back in twice to get the cameras to start recording again. So for the past two software updates my trunk sometimes doesn't open all the way and now my dashcam/sentry mode stops working randomly.