Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Porsche!? Tempted to jump ship, new Taycan Turismo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me today's EV cars are more like computers and phones. That's why Tesla is smart to do air updates which helps negate this. But even with that I think new electric cars will age faster in technology than in the past. Sort of like smart phones and lab tops with their continuous hardware and software updates. Three or four years and they are dated. So its buy and trade in or lease. Depending on your budget and needs that will be the only way to stay up on the latest. Ice cars didn't change much in the last 10 years but that is over I think.
I feel it depends on the auto maker, most are deliberately making changes to drive new sales (obivously), switch cars every 3-5 years at most, and the most cost effective place to do this (self driving R&D aside perhaps) are the tech 'gadgets'.

Tesla is breaking this trend, the Model S since 2013 is one of the longest runs of body shape out there, and with relatively minor changes happening (plus the regular OTA updates to help satiate our wants for latest and created) unscheduled does not promote the upgrade behavior. I think Tesla re-sale values support this, they are still in very high demand (judging by depreciation).

the model 3 and Taycan are in a different class. A model 3 owner isn’t buying a Porsche because he probably can’t afford it.

compare the Taycan to a model S, that is the only appropriate comparison.
I thought people might like to see some Taycan comparisons with other EV's, all in the same place. There are lots of tests on YouTube but most are anecdotal or just descriptive. There are several reviewers who have a test protocol and provide screen shots that allow you to determine the state of the car. I think they are the gold standard as far as real world testing goes. It should be the EPA, but Meh! If anyone knows of other good quality tests, let me know and I can add to the table. Also if there are any errors or clarifications. It is always a bit of a dog's breakfast figuring out other people's results.

So here's a table ranked by indicated range travelled.

ModelTesterBattery Size kW/hAir Temp FahrenheitDrive ModeTarget Speed mphWheel SizeIndicated Range Miles
Tesla Model S LR RavenBjorn10055.4 - 64.4Range56.519400.1
Taycan 2020 4SBjorn93.3/83.771.6 - 80.6Range56.519360.0
Telsa 2021 Model 3 Long RangeTom Moloughney8270 - 8070305
Tesla Model S LR RavenBjorn10059 - 62.6Range74.619293.9
Taycan 2021 RWDInsideEVs US93.4/83.769Range70293.3
Tesla 2019 Model 3 Long RangeTom Moloughney7576 - 7870289.1
Mustang 2021 Mach-E AWDTom Moloughney98.8/88.060 - 74Whisper70285.5
Taycan 2020 4SInsideEvs US93.4/83.775-80Range7021277.9
Taycan 2020 4SBjorn93.4/83.768 - 72.5Range74.619264
Taycan 2020 4SJimBob93.4/83.753.1Range71.520260.4
Jaguar I-Pace EV400Bjorn90135618259
Taycan 2020 4SJimBob93.4/83.734.7Range71.520237.5
Taycan 2020 4STom Moloughney93.4/83.714 - 29Range7020213
Taycan 2020 4SJimBob93.4/83.716.3Range71.520210.1
Jaguar I-PaceBjorn9013Range74.618189
Audi Etron GTTBD
Mercedes EQSTBD

Additional points

I have included my tests as they have a set protocol and are documented. I just don't have any warm weather tests yet.

The only car in the table above that could be considered a direct competitor to the Taycan is the Tesla Model S LR Raven. I have never sat in one let alone driven one, so I have no idea as to how it compares.

There are two cars, the Audi Etron Gt and Mercedes EQS, which could be legitimate competition to the Taycan but that have not been tested yet.

And there some missing tests for the Taycan which could be helpful. Tests at speeds above 80 mph, at temperatures above 90F and below 0F.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I feel it depends on the auto maker, most are deliberately making changes to drive new sales (obivously), switch cars every 3-5 years at most, and the most cost effective place to do this (self driving R&D aside perhaps) are the tech 'gadgets'.

Tesla is breaking this trend, the Model S since 2013 is one of the longest runs of body shape out there, and with relatively minor changes happening (plus the regular OTA updates to help satiate our wants for latest and created) unscheduled does not promote the upgrade behavior. I think Tesla re-sale values support this, they are still in very high demand (judging by depreciation).
I beg to differ, exhibit A

I beg to differ, exhibit A
Without referring to that list (interesting BTW), how many non Tesla owners would have awareness? Aside from the nose cone, they still look the same, and again I think re-sale values support my opinion on this.

Good for you. So are you going to linger around here long after you sold your Tesla like InternetDud and a few others do?
so what if he does stick around?
are you now in charge of who participates?
trying to chase people away highlights how fragile and intolerant you are of people who don't share your opinions

Last edited:
1620333122424.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
Yea, my vote is gonna be a model s plaid plus for well.. not 90k.
Yep. And Elon isn't going to let another manufacturer keep the top spot for performance. So, it's going to be available and I predict it will be a hit. For the price, it's a great deal considering there are grossly overpriced cars like the AMG S63 Coupe for over 200k when configured. And having ridden in one quite a few times (drove it a couple times), it ain't worth anything close to that.

Reactions: SmartElectric
You jump if you plan on staying in your home area, try long distance travel outside of coastal areas and you will come back to Tesla.
this is a very ill informed comment. the EA network is almost as extensive as the tesla network and and the additional networks like evgo, chargepoint, greenlots, and many others fill in just fine. a taycan can travel anywhere a tesla can travel and at the EA 350 kw units the taycan will charge faster than a tesla.