Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Tesla, TACC sucks now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got an update last night but the update note screen is blank. We went from a 2018.? to 2019.8.4. Anyone else have the release notes screen blank? It just says release notes at the top of the screen but nothing in the big box that usually says what's in this update. Not even a minor updates etc statement.

Some problems here.
Relase Notes empty
Also have the annoying behavior of the TACC.

Still on 2019.4.3.

Making me appreciate the simple cruise in my Classic S... just keeps moving at the speed I set. If the flow is doing the accordion / slinky effect, I just don't use cruise.

TACC doesn't suck just now, it has always sucked for another reason:

One thing about cruise in our model 3 (and is probably same for new S) is the sudden unexpected jump to the "posted" speed upon turning on cruise. This is just stupid!! Often the indicated speed is WRONG (database is wrong) and since it seems the car is not using cameras to read posted speed signs, using TACC will often jump into exceeding the speed of a zone. "Officer, my car was accelerating on its own". <-- is a truthful statement. Your foot off the accelerator and the car accelerates when you bump the cruise stalk 'on'.

Tesla really, really needs to address this.

The solution: The moment you turn on / use TACC determines the initial cruise speed which is equal to the speed the car is traveling at that moment. You know, like every other car.

Last edited:
Well, after filing a dozen bug reports, got this email from Tesla Diagnostics:

“Reaching out to your from Diagnostic Support.

I have looked into your TACC issue and determined that your Model S needs to go to a Tesla service center for the issue to be duplicated and check some wire connections. Please schedule your Model S for a visit by calling the number below or use the self-scheduling feature on your Tesla account. Then let me know which Tesla service center you will be going to and I will attach my notes to the appointment.”

Unfortunately my appointment isn’t until end of April... so we’ll see.

Can you explain how to submit a bug report? Or are you part of a 'beta testing group'?

Can you explain how to submit a bug report? Or are you part of a 'beta testing group'?

The bug reports I submitted via the talk button on the steering wheel. “Bug report, TACC sucks...” obviously be more descriptive. “Phantom braking, excessive acceleration and deceleration” or whatever you’re experiencing.

I followed that up with a feedback email on the Tesla website. The tech took a look (purportedly) at the bug reports I submitted and is attaching some note to my service appointment.

And no, I’m not a beta tester.

It seems that the TACC tolerances are just too tight and the gains set in the software are just too high. What I mean by that is, when the car is following at a set distance and the cars in front begin to gently slow for traffic ahead(anticipation another thing the car doesn’t do) it decides it must slow immediately to remain within that prescribed distance zone come hell or high water! Whereas a human will gently give up some of that distance knowing we are all slowing down and essentially sacrifice that distance behind the car in front. The exact same goes for acceleration. Sometimes when traffic begins to move the car will end up a bit further back than the prescribed distance setting and think “OMG I’ve got to hurry and get up to speed” so it pounds the accelerator up 120Wh/m on the gauge to get there.
Hence all the swings from acceleration and deceleration during normal traffic. If the tolerances open up a bit and the gains in accel/decel are reduced it would help tremendously.
Now the car tracking another car in the adjacent lane by mistake is a whole nuther issue that sucks! That is what causes most of my irritation and slowing on the highway that’s going to get me rear ended one of these days. What’s with that? Tracking a car that’s perfectly centered in its own lane doing nothing.

And oh one last thing(since I’m venting anyway) the jumping around of TACC speed whenever whatever database it’s using says so, is a big cause of my grief also. In a congested city like mine the posted speed can change dramatically from overpass to on ramp to curves etc....it might be 75 and then drop to a posted speed of 45 around curve to next highway. But of course nobody actually drives like that. So flow of traffic might slow a little bit but certainly not from 75 to 45. Well as you know the car auto changes to the new set speed and slams the regen. UHG! I’m gonna get freaking shot!
Why would it be so hard for to just leave the speed where I set it and DONT move it? I’m talking about just good old fashioned TACC and autosteer, not NoA.

Sigh.....wife won’t even let me turn it on anymore when we’re all out in my car. Not because it scares her but it’s just absolutely annoying as hell to be a passenger in these days.

The bug reports I submitted via the talk button on the steering wheel. “Bug report, TACC sucks...” obviously be more descriptive. “Phantom braking, excessive acceleration and deceleration” or whatever you’re experiencing.

I followed that up with a feedback email on the Tesla website. The tech took a look (purportedly) at the bug reports I submitted and is attaching some note to my service appointment.

And no, I’m not a beta tester.
Interesting. And you do it when the issue happens? Does it grab GPS coordinates? I have had phantom braking at an overpass for months. Every Single Time. So you are saying when it happens press the talk button and say "Bug report - phantom braking while going over overpass at this location" and it gets logged? Can you also use it to report wrong speed limits?

Interesting. And you do it when the issue happens? Does it grab GPS coordinates? I have had phantom braking at an overpass for months. Every Single Time. So you are saying when it happens press the talk button and say "Bug report - phantom braking while going over overpass at this location" and it gets logged? Can you also use it to report wrong speed limits?
Absolutely. Do it when it happens. They have access to location and video data to review the incidents. I use the bug report tool quite a bit, even when it's simple glitches in the system.

I would also follow it up with an email to support from your Tesla account so you get a response to your feedback. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: FMinMI
It seems that the TACC tolerances are just too tight and the gains set in the software are just too high. What I mean by that is, when the car is following at a set distance and the cars in front begin to gently slow for traffic ahead(anticipation another thing the car doesn’t do) it decides it must slow immediately to remain within that prescribed distance zone come hell or high water! Whereas a human will gently give up some of that distance knowing we are all slowing down and essentially sacrifice that distance behind the car in front. The exact same goes for acceleration. Sometimes when traffic begins to move the car will end up a bit further back than the prescribed distance setting and think “OMG I’ve got to hurry and get up to speed” so it pounds the accelerator up 120Wh/m on the gauge to get there.
Hence all the swings from acceleration and deceleration during normal traffic. If the tolerances open up a bit and the gains in accel/decel are reduced it would help tremendously.
Now the car tracking another car in the adjacent lane by mistake is a whole nuther issue that sucks! That is what causes most of my irritation and slowing on the highway that’s going to get me rear ended one of these days. What’s with that? Tracking a car that’s perfectly centered in its own lane doing nothing.

And oh one last thing(since I’m venting anyway) the jumping around of TACC speed whenever whatever database it’s using says so, is a big cause of my grief also. In a congested city like mine the posted speed can change dramatically from overpass to on ramp to curves etc....it might be 75 and then drop to a posted speed of 45 around curve to next highway. But of course nobody actually drives like that. So flow of traffic might slow a little bit but certainly not from 75 to 45. Well as you know the car auto changes to the new set speed and slams the regen. UHG! I’m gonna get freaking shot!
Why would it be so hard for to just leave the speed where I set it and DONT move it? I’m talking about just good old fashioned TACC and autosteer, not NoA.

Sigh.....wife won’t even let me turn it on anymore when we’re all out in my car. Not because it scares her but it’s just absolutely annoying as hell to be a passenger in these days.

I couldn't agree more, and it's happening to TONS of people. Hopefully Tesla is taking notice and will at least return the system to the way it behaved pre 5.15 software.

I can also anticipate when TACC is going to slow down because there's an onramp merging out or into the freeway I'm in, or an overpass road above the road I'm traveling that somehow confuses TACC, It's annoying as hell, but definitely not as annoying as the motion sickness inducing TACC behavior.

Absolutely. Do it when it happens. They have access to location and video data to review the incidents. I use the bug report tool quite a bit, even when it's simple glitches in the system.

I would also follow it up with an email to support from your Tesla account so you get a response to your feedback. Let us know how it goes!
I guess I never saw a way to email via my account - there is a CONTACT link at the bottom of the page and a way to send a question to Customer Support. Is that what you are saying to use?

I guess I never saw a way to email via my account - there is a CONTACT link at the bottom of the page and a way to send a question to Customer Support. Is that what you are saying to use?

No, go to your Tesla account, click the Manage button. Right under the Referral program box there's a Support Box where you can describe your concern and email tesla from there.

supprt tesla.jpg

I couldn't agree more, and it's happening to TONS of people. Hopefully Tesla is taking notice and will at least return the system to the way it behaved pre 5.15 software.

I can also anticipate when TACC is going to slow down because there's an onramp merging out or into the freeway I'm in, or an overpass road above the road I'm traveling that somehow confuses TACC, It's annoying as hell, but definitely not as annoying as the motion sickness inducing TACC behavior.
Do these guys(tesla employees and engineers etc...) not drive these darn cars just like we do? How can they not use it everyday and say “whoa, that’s not good” maybe we should tweak this! Or are they all driving some Beta version FSD that’s totally different. Just seems like they don’t test this stuff very thoroughly

Yes it’s jerky as hell now and practically gives me whiplash at times

I'm sitting at 2019.20.2.1 with my Model X AP2 and it is still annoying jerky using TACC as you describe.

I could tolerate the occasional random phantom braking by quickly overriding when it slams on the brakes but this jerkiness is akin to being stuck in a car with a two-foot driver. It just makes me uneasy and irritated all at the same time. I'm constantly thinking it's about to slam on the brakes as it hesitates and decelerates slightly for no reason whatsoever.

It would be nice if we had the option to toggle between TACC and just a normal Cruise control while they go through these growing pains.

I'm sitting at 2019.20.2.1 with my Model X AP2 and it is still annoying jerky using TACC as you describe.

I could tolerate the occasional random phantom braking by quickly overriding when it slams on the brakes but this jerkiness is akin to being stuck in a car with a two-foot driver. It just makes me uneasy and irritated all at the same time. I'm constantly thinking it's about to slam on the brakes as it hesitates and decelerates slightly for no reason whatsoever.

It would be nice if we had the option to toggle between TACC and just a normal Cruise control while they go through these growing pains.

My most recent tweet to atTesla and atElonMusk (<-- of course with @, not at...):

Its great to have a fun car but instead of programmers working on sketchpad, karaoke and Arcade can you PLEASE have them FIX the paranoid behavior of TACC slamming on brakes when cars perpendicular cross in front 1/2 block away. I am going to get rear-ended!

It also brakes hard when someone is coming down the on ramp yet NOT even ready to come in your lane, and of course there are still phantom braking episodes, although less than before. About the only time TACC works great is on a non-busy highway and I am in the middle lane.

One of their programmers for TACC needs to come to my house and drive our Chevy Volt with ACC. It NEVER has had a single issue with the above. The only thing I don't like is its aggressiveness to get back up to speed once the vehicle turns or speeds up but that is by far a minor issue compared to what my MS is doing.

Maybe if we all tweet them they will start working on the serious issues a little harder...

And yes, I agree - if they can't figure out how to fix it soon, please give us standard cruise.

I've heard conflicting things about using chill mode to chill out TACC mode.

Might be worth trying.

Some say that it doesn't impact TACC/AP at all.

Some say they get more efficient TACC/AP driving with it on.

I haven't tried it myself.

I’m always in Chill. TACC is a mess now.

Like OP said if you are behind someone and watch the acceleration bar (black bar) you’ll see it going Accel and Decel (right and left) back and forth.

Reactions: linkster