Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my one mouse opinion, even though this isn't a greatly difficult task to perform, it is still slightly time consuming and requires replacing a bunch of parts and adjustments. If I were to have this issue, I'd wait a little while to let guys get more experience doing a change like this before taking in my car.... no matter how long I might have waited or how bad I want it.

Last edited:
Just my one mouse opinion, even though this isn't a greatly difficult task to perform, it is still a little time consuming and requires replacing a bunch of parts and adjustments. If I were to have this issue, I'd wait a little while to let guys get a little bit more experience doing a change like this before taking in my car.... no matter how long I might have waited or how bad I want it.

They have done many half-shaft replacements trying to resolve this in the past, the only new part is the clevis mount, which looks very simple. I wouldn't worry about it...

Last edited:
Reactions: derkan and Michelx
The TSB says that it is a two hour repair. (Slightly longer for the Model X.)
Yup, I watched one being done on an X (not mine) down in southern California. It took 2 guys some of the time, and mostly one guy about 4 hours, including time he was scratching his head and asking questions. That is why I was thinking ok he needs a bit more experience at this. I would hope the front end doesn't fall out at interstate speeds when he is done. Ok, that is obviously an exaggeration of my interpretation, but still, I think I would like someone whom has done a few of these prior to working on my car if it were mine.

Reactions: shellderp
I think I would like someone whom has done a few of these prior to working on my car if it were mine.

But how would you ever know that? It isn't like scheduling a surgery with a doctor, you get whatever tech they assign to your car. It could be a rookie that they are training vs. a person that has done a hundred of them at a given service center.

Shoot the TSB looked so complete that I think I could do it with those instructions. :eek: Of course it would take me way more than 2 hours...

But how would you ever know that? It isn't like scheduling a surgery with a doctor, you get whatever tech they assign to your car. It could be a rookie that they are training vs. a person that has done a hundred of them at a given service center.

Shoot the TSB looked so complete that I think I could do it with those instructions. :eek: Of course it would take me way more than 2 hours...
All great points. In my case, I would know precisely who is going to work on it and how much experience he has. No don't ask. I will have to kill you. :D Happen to know that in many cases (not all) that particular people are assigned to particular tasks. But yea, you got it. Some times just a roll of the dice as to who does it.

edit. psssshhhhh. I bet you might do it in 30 minutes :D

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
How long did it take To do the repair?

My car was in for the shudder plus a noise from driver side b pillar
I was told when I left it that the noise would take 3+days or so and the shudder part wouldn’t be available until September
Then while I had the car sitting at service they updated and said they would in fact fix the shudder
They had my car 6 days total but both items were repaired
I was actually charged 97.50 for the noise even tho it was worked on before under warranty. This time they determined it was the rear seat window motor. At any rate so far a very annoying is gone
I guess their latest take is that random noises aren’t a warranty item. I’m ok with the small charge to get rid of that noise

How did you find this? All I can do in the NHTSA site is lookup recalls.

On NHTSA website, when you go to check for recalls page, instead of entering the VIN, select the next tab over named "Vehicle". Enter the Year, Make and Model and select search. You'll get a list of Recalls, Investigations (if any), complaints (mostly fake suspension complaints under Tesla) and Manufacturer Communications.

Service bulletins are under manufacturer communications.

Screenshots attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.52.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.52.25 PM.png
    351 KB · Views: 300
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.56.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.56.00 PM.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 172
Our 2015 shudders under hard acceleration when the suspension is High or Very High. Doesn't shudder at Normal, so I guess this is a different issue? Service center always tells me not to accelerate on High, but GPS ride height puts it up to High near one of my freeway onramps for good reason (local retailer parking is bad).

Wonder how that 3rd part - Clevis mount - differs from a jack shaft.

Am on 3rd set of half shafts and 2nd jack shaft.

No mention of a Clevis mount during any of those SvC visits.

Note also an alignment will be needed after the half shaft replacements and it will be a factory alignment, meaning that the rear camber will be way off and shred inner tread wear with a quickness.

Consider numbers closer to -0.3 rather than -1.9 for that. Just my $0.02. Your treadwear and mileage may vary.

I would think the main culprit is the mount on cars that haven't hammered the F out of the CV joints (frequent aggressive acceleration or high mileage) and that it could be changed by simply supporting the drive unit, assuming you can get at it.

Most of the labor and parts fix is the half shafts removal, so those of us with canceled, or expired, warranties might want to start with just replacing the mount. Three bolts and you're possibly done if you can get at it.

In fact, I think Tesla should replace ALL of the clevis mounts to keep the drive unit from torque hammering on the CV joint ball bearings and consequently forcing both half shafts' replacement. $1500 just for the shafts, and several hundred in reduced labor. It might also reduce the SC repair backlog.

My 12/18 MX has the revised Rev D rear axles. Does anyone know, or can they find out from the SC when they go in, what month/day/year the revision D front axles were put in the MX and MS?

thanks.