Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual Subscriptions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great spot (well I hadn't seen it before)

This alone has taken away one important hurdle to me purchasing.
In fact I am visiting the Tesla store tomorrow.
You may even be able to take a bit of credit for a new sale :)

Now wonder if they will sell parts outside the Tesla S/Cs

Actually it was already posted a while back in the Model S general forum, I paid for 24hr worth of access and boy was I impressed, full schematics, parts diagrams, service bulletins, everything but the CAN.dbc, for both the Roadster and Model S. While the site is meant to be viewed in a web browser if you are handy with wget then you could theoretically download the whole service manual in an hour or two. I'm not sure if Tesla would be too pleased considering the HUGE profit they are probably making (I mean $3,000 a year for access, I have built a lot of websites and they don't cost that much to maintain, especially when you need it for your own service departments) just look at the numbers $3,000/yr X ~350 people, with a conservative estimate thats slightly over $1M in revenue, plus they give it away for free if you are an approved collision center. Don't get me wrong, I think charging money is fair, but that much is just crazy, even more so if your not a repair center.

Supposed to only be for people in Massachusetts, but he found that putting in a Mass. zip for the billing address of the CC works.
Looks like the "you aren't allowed to service it anywhere but with us" business model was found to not comply with Massachusetts law. But instead of doing the right thing and letting people anywhere work on the vehicle that they bought and paid for, Tesla decided to go the big business anti-consumer method of allowing access only in the one state that's called them out on it so far.

Hopefully enough other places have right to repair legislation that can force Tesla to do the right thing anywhere.

As for the cost of the access. I bet it's expensive because they don't want people accessing it, not because they want to make a profit. They probably talked to legal to find out how much of a barrier they could put up to access to this data without running afoul of Massachusetts law.

I've seen the docs on the service site while I was in MA. They're completely useless.

The majority of the procedures include instructions for doing something in Tesla "Toolbox" software which is no where to be found.

Disappointed, and I hope an MA owner presses this.

I believe the Mas. Law requires ALL tools to be made available. Other MFGs have software that runs using a Pass Through Programmer for communication.

Definitely interesting considering their software tool is needed for ar least 4 our of 5 procedures.

My cousin and I got the 24 hour pass and were digging through everything the whole time. Definitely no where to get it.

I had a tech yesterday at my home replacing the door handle and at the same time was installing again 6.2.2 and when I asked him why, he said when you replace a door handle the firmware must be re-installed, which was odd to me, but he said that's the procedure.

Half way in the update, he noticed the car isn't accepting the firmware and after a few seconds he realized the car is connected to my Wi-Fi network, which prohibits the update to go through.
I asked him why exactly and he said that each time you load a firmware on the car, it has to be connected to Tesla's network and only then the server on the other side will allow the update to be uploaded through the laptop even though it's connected directly to the car. If there is no Car-Laptop-Tesla Server connection through their network update on the car is impossible.
OTA obviously is a different story.

He also said that is a bit tricky in areas with no cell coverage.

Not only that even for basic stuff like door handles you need to re-install firmware, you need permission from the Tesla server in order to do any work on the car. It makes those service manuals worthless for the most part, unless you have those proprietary software solutions used by Tesla.

Looks like the "you aren't allowed to service it anywhere but with us" business model was found to not comply with Massachusetts law. But instead of doing the right thing and letting people anywhere work on the vehicle that they bought and paid for, Tesla decided to go the big business anti-consumer method of allowing access only in the one state that's called them out on it so far.

Hopefully enough other places have right to repair legislation that can force Tesla to do the right thing anywhere.

As for the cost of the access. I bet it's expensive because they don't want people accessing it, not because they want to make a profit. They probably talked to legal to find out how much of a barrier they could put up to access to this data without running afoul of Massachusetts law.

Could you please give me a pointer to the case reference where it was found not to comply with MA law?

Upthread, I specifically noted how Tesla easily defeats the law as written.

But moreover, your suggestion that "letting people anywhere work on the {object} that they bought and paid for" is rather ludicrous when we talk about advanced technology, only because you seem to suggest that Tesla should effectively hand out its proprietary information. I suppose you also believe Microsoft should have to hand you the source code to Windows and Office so that you can work on it as well, and perhaps Smith & Wesson should have to give you their manufacturing tooling data so that you can recast a barrel to your shotgun after it rusted.

See? The intention of the law is not to go that far - it's to address things like replacing more commodity components. The law is also designed to protect trade secrets, of which you could argue that most of Tesla's technology falls into right now.

I believe that Tesla intends to offer what it can to Massachusetts third parties along the spirit of the law, without compromising its intellectual property, which the law specifically protects. I did mention where there might be a hole requiring Tesla to make available some details.

However, emotionally, there are some here who don't agree with that stance because they're engineering types and are hungry for deep details of the vehicle they love. They're misapplying the intent of the Massachusetts law, in an attempt to get more details. Bottom line - Tesla doesn't have to give it up. This isn't Richard Stallman's technology communism utopia.

Last edited:
The intention of the law is not to go that far - it's to address things like replacing more commodity components. The law is also designed to protect trade secrets, of which you could argue that most of Tesla's technology falls into right now.

That's an interesting argument and covers the majority of software and firmware.

However, I can go to Toyota's website, pay a nominal fee ($15 for unlimited 24 hours was the last I heard), and download all the information on the Prius (it's not that easy because it requires downloading each individual PDF, and there are many--but it can be done. I've even done it for some sections). Yes, there are a number of items for which a THHT is required ($7K last I heard but that was a few years ago) so you'd have to be very interested to do that and it would preclude doing some repairs if you didn't have it, but the informations is available. I suspect that Toyota's intellectual property is of as much concern to Toyota as Tesla's is to Tesla.

Admittedly Tesla has a bigger problem than Toyota in that the THHT is proprietary hardware and Tesla just uses a laptop, so it's easier to copy Tesla's application, but getting the manual shouldn't be restricted any more than Toyota's is.

I read Right to Repair as providing the owner and independent shops with the ability to repair the car. I believe the number of frustrated salvage buyers out there speaks to the lack of ability to repair.
Of course, it could come down to what the definition of is is should Tesla want to play that game.

THe EU also have "Block Exemption Legislation"
eg http://iautouk.com/car-block-exemption-laws/
which require manufacturers to make information available outside franchised dealers.

Apart from the semantics, the intent is clear, and the only difference with the Tesla is the potential lethal exposure to high voltages.
But then that is down to any service centre top assess risk and ensure staff are adequately trained.
Regarding IP - didn't Elon recent open source all that anyway?

Admittedly Tesla has a bigger problem than Toyota in that the THHT is proprietary hardware and Tesla just uses a laptop, so it's easier to copy Tesla's application, but getting the manual shouldn't be restricted any more than Toyota's is.

Whlie Tesla has a laptop, part of the car interacts with Tesla's network, something that really isn't done on any other automobile at this moment. That's also going to be an interesting sticking point - will Tesla have to register anyone who wants to be able to play with his/her car on Tesla's internal, proprietary network admin tools?

There are some novel questions that I imagine will be settled over the next few years with regard to how manufacturers design and build. The architecture of the ICE is pretty standard. Despite the differences, the basic designs have been the same for many years. It makes sense, then, to allow for a wide playing field to do work on the commodity. Tesla doesn't have a commodity. It may *look* like another car but it's an entirely new thing, altogether. ("It's an entirely new thing.")

The Tesla, however, is a new beast, one which requires special training. It's no different than any other technology field. The interpretation that some here are offering, as I posted above, would be the equivalent of requiring Microsoft to release Windows source so that you could "work" on Windows. Instead, what you're likely to see, is what happened to TV repair over the years: my uncle was a long time TV and radio repairman, expert on the oscilloscope and able repairer of anything electronic; now the job's largely been relegated to step 1) turn TV on; step 2) see what its diagnostics indicate; step 3) replace indicated component; step 4) repeat until no more indicated failures. He doesn't get any specialized knowledge of the brands he sells. He gets the most basic of "service manuals" that just tell him to do that 4-step process.

The basis of "right to repair" was that one set of independently-owned shops ("franchised dealers", of which Tesla have none) was getting access to tools based on contracts, and another set of independently-owned shops ("independent repair facilities") couldn't get the same access to compete. Tesla's model has no independently-owned components.

I think such laws might help people who can't get certain parts from Tesla... that may be one of the positives. But I see great danger in forcing Tesla to open up its intellectual property in a Richard Stallman fantasy world.

I keep seeing this "IP" and "source code" argument. I do not buy it.

I've used many a diagnostic tool on many different systems. MS is no different than any other mfg.'s diag package in that it exercises systems, initializes bits and re-programs (or requests such from the mother ship) modules. That is all a service diagnostic tool does.

The idea that the MB tech Tesla just hired away from the local dealership needs or has access to module or back end source code to do his job simply does not stand up to the intellectual curiosity standards I've come to expect from you Flasher.

The idea that the MB tech Tesla just hired away from the local dealership needs or has access to module or back end source code to do his job simply does not stand up to the intellectual curiosity standards I've come to expect from you Flasher.

Well, it's a balance. I'm an engineer at heart and so I enjoy knowing what makes the car tick. I enjoy the tear-downs that are done, and knowing how things are engineered. At the same time, the business bone in me says that Tesla has a right to manage its own intellectual property.

I don't believe there should be a law requiring Tesla to disclose every one of its trade secrets under the auspices of "right to repair". That's never been a standard in consumer goods - while "no user serviceable parts inside" has never stopped me from replacing bad power supply caps, it also means that not just any average handyman with a Craftsman wrench can handle the job.

I point to your quote as the first example of exactly what should not happen:
lolachampcar said:
I can tell you that one of my first tasks will be understanding battery communication sufficiently well enough that I can one day use the MS battery pack exactly as designed with all safeties in place as stationary home storage. It is a lovely, well designed quality solution that, given the number of cars being scrapped, just begs to be used. How does Tesla permit me access to documentation knowing this is one of my interests?

Now, I want to let you know I'm not taking that out of context by suggesting that you are doing this, since you say that's one thing they need to prevent, but there are a few threads on here who are indeed trying to use the MA right to repair law as a weapon to get them that information. I pointed out in another thread to the armchair lawyers that the MA law, as written, does not apply to Tesla. So those who think that evil Tesla is being forced by good government to release its specifications so that they can drop the microphone on the 45-page, "691-HP or not?" thread probably need to look elsewhere.

As another point, I'll copy this from the other thread - MA does require, beginning for 2018, that manufacturers do provide diagnostic information, regardless of their dealer model:

(d) (1) Beginning in model year 2018, except as provided in subsection (e), manufacturers of motor vehicles sold in the commonwealth, including heavy duty vehicles that are not heavy duty vehicles built to custom specifications sold in the commonwealth for commercial purposes, shall provide access to their onboard diagnostic and repair information system, as required under this section, using an off-the-shelf personal computer with sufficient memory, processor speed, connectivity and other capabilities as specified by the vehicle manufacturer and: (i) a non-proprietary vehicle interface device that complies with the Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2534, Society of Automotive Engineers J1939, commonly referred to as SAE J2534 and SAE J1939, the International Organization for Standardization standard 22900, commonly referred to as ISO 22900 or any successor to SAE J2534, SAE J1939 or ISO 22900 as may be accepted or published by the Society of Automotive Engineers or the International Organization for Standardization; (ii) an onboard diagnostic and repair information system integrated and entirely self-contained within the vehicle, including, but not limited to, service information systems integrated into an onboard display; or (iii) a system that provides direct access to onboard diagnostic and repair information through a non-proprietary vehicle interface, such as ethernet, universal serial bus or digital versatile disc. Each manufacturer shall provide access to the same onboard diagnostic and repair information available to their dealers, including technical updates to such onboard systems, through such non-proprietary interfaces as referenced in this paragraph. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to require a dealer to use a non-proprietary vehicle interface specified in this paragraph, nor shall this chapter be construed to prohibit a manufacturer from developing a proprietary vehicle diagnostic and reprogramming device; provided, however, that: (i) the manufacturer also complies with this paragraph; and (ii) the manufacturer also makes this device available to independent repair facilities upon fair and reasonable terms and otherwise complies with subsection (a).

It's still unclear to what level this applies to Tesla, though - "dealer" is specifically defined in that law such that it doesn't apply to Tesla, so it makes the requirements for information rather unclear.

In summary, I do believe that Tesla should 1) make parts available to anyone who can afford to buy them; 2) allow for diagnostics more than just Apple's "(sad mac) sorry, a system error occurred. <reboot>" approach - specifically, they should be able to tell you where the fault occurred so that you might simply replace the faulty part; 3) provide enough information to replace identical parts and turn them on (but not perform upgrades). Any reverse engineering beyond that should not be on Tesla but rather on those of us who are interested. Those who want to use MA's law to do that lose their argument (IMO), though, because it just doesn't apply here -- that law is designed to give an even playing field for independently-owned, manufacturer-affiliated and independently-owned, non-manufacturer-affiliated repair shops of a commodity product (the ICE car).

Last edited: