Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek should cover this to show people how much it cost to own the car out of warranty. They should also share the fail rate of the cars out of warranty according the Gerber motors repair. Seems to me as pretty high and more in the pipeline. Yes it will tank the resale value of my Tesla and others, but at least it is transparent and hopefully Tesla owns up to offer something more reasonable than $20K battery replacement.

But knowing them, they are probably pro Tesla so they probably will never run it.
Well also according to Gerber motor is that they can do the repair for about 5k rather than the 20-22k. So this could encourage more 3rd party shops.

And they also state that after that fix, the rest of the cars stay running very well. So for 5k in 8 years to keep the car running for several more years, doesn’t seem too shabby to me.

Last edited:
Well also according to Gerber motor is that they can do the repair for about 5k rather than the 20-25k. So this could encourage more 3rd party shops.

And they also state that after that fix, the rest of the cars stay running very well. So for 5k in 8 years to keep the car running almost good as new, doesn’t seem too shabby to me.

At some point the range loss, battery degradation, will come into play though, right?

I'm unfamiliar with their solutions, but does their fix address range loss or just there to keep the car propelled forward?

Reactions: r1200gs4ok and SO16
At some point the range loss, battery degradation, will come into play though, right?

I'm unfamiliar with their solutions, but does their fix address range loss or just there to keep the car propelled forward?
I don’t know. I’m guessing it probably doesn’t help with range loss or supercharging speeds. Good question though. I sent them that question. Will update when I hear back.

Last edited:
I think you should see this differently. For now I would always buy a new pack from tesla. The whole pack will be new and you will have ease of mind for a longer period. The solution of gruber addresses the worn cells not all cells. So after the repair the weak point is shifted within the pack.
I remember back in the days the same discussion came up with the Honda civic hybrids. Companies started to replace faulty cells at a more reasonable price than Honda 1500 euro vs 5000 euro but their life span never ran near the new batteries leaving customers in the end still replacing it at a premium at Honda for ease of mind and resell value of their cars. So IMHO is a new tesla pack is reduced in price and like the example shows in this thread it is the new pack with more capacity and better charge speeds I would never go to a 3th party for partial repairs.

I think you should see this differently. For now I would always buy a new pack from tesla. The whole pack will be new and you will have ease of mind for a longer period. The solution of gruber addresses the worn cells not all cells. So after the repair the weak point is shifted within the pack.
I remember back in the days the same discussion came up with the Honda civic hybrids. Companies started to replace faulty cells at a more reasonable price than Honda 1500 euro vs 5000 euro but their life span never ran near the new batteries leaving customers in the end still replacing it at a premium at Honda for ease of mind and resell value of their cars. So IMHO is a new tesla pack is reduced in price and like the example shows in this thread it is the new pack with more capacity and better charge speeds I would never go to a 3th party for partial repairs.
I guess it depends on the situation. If the charging speeds and range are still “sufficient”, at least Gruber gives an option.

For those reasons, that's why I would still see it the opposite. On the whole, the average of most of the cells should really last 20-ish years. It's these cases of a rare cell that dies that makes the car not work in the time period of a little over the warranty period, like 8-10 years old, up until about the 20+ year point, that people need to be concerned with fixing at a reasonable price. As you say, that moves the weak point, which if you can get it to 20+ years, then you really have gotten about as full a life out of it as you could reasonably expect, and it didn't need the really expensive replacement. People just don't want to get this giant gut punch of a $22,000 kind of repair bill because of one stinking, measly, cell that went bad. For what you are recommending, it's not necessarily worth spending that kind of money for a new from Tesla whole pack.

For those reasons, that's why I would still see it the opposite. On the whole, the average of most of the cells should really last 20-ish years. It's these cases of a rare cell that dies that makes the car not work in the time period of a little over the warranty period, like 8-10 years old, up until about the 20+ year point, that people need to be concerned with fixing at a reasonable price. As you say, that moves the weak point, which if you can get it to 20+ years, then you really have gotten about as full a life out of it as you could reasonably expect, and it didn't need the really expensive replacement. People just don't want to get this giant gut punch of a $22,000 kind of repair bill because of one stinking, measly, cell that went bad. For what you are recommending, it's not necessarily worth spending that kind of money for a new from Tesla whole pack.
Also be aware Tesla has at this moment not fully recognized companies that do these repairs. For the old roadster Gruber has a solid business these cars are not supported anymore by Tesla and Gruber has a nice service to keep owner enjoying these cars. But if you go back to Tesla this 20k costs is including the old battery as a part they take in. What will Tesla do when a third party has been repairing a pack. Will they still take it in or will they reject it and you are presented with a higher cost or even a rejection.
In the Netherlands there was already a case on the MCU1 failure, a member had done the replacement with a third party when Tesla was at that point in time only offering full MCU replacements with no reimbursement and not the daughter board. Now that car was sold to a different person and showed issues again and ended up at Tesla with a different owner. Tesla then rejected the free change of the daughterboard since a third party had repaired it before.

Also be aware Tesla has at this moment not fully recognized companies that do these repairs. For the old roadster Gruber has a solid business these cars are not supported anymore by Tesla and Gruber has a nice service to keep owner enjoying these cars. But if you go back to Tesla this 20k costs is including the old battery as a part they take in. What will Tesla do when a third party has been repairing a pack. Will they still take it in or will they reject it and you are presented with a higher cost or even a rejection.
In the Netherlands there was already a case on the MCU1 failure, a member had done the replacement with a third party when Tesla was at that point in time only offering full MCU replacements with no reimbursement and not the daughter board. Now that car was sold to a different person and showed issues again and ended up at Tesla with a different owner. Tesla then rejected the free change of the daughterboard since a third party had repaired it before.
Good point.
If ever the whole battery pack needs to be replaced by Tesla, they could either deny the work request (even if it’s being paid out of pocket), or charge more than the $~20K because Tesla might not want a 3rd party repaired pack.

Reactions: electricar
I certainly do not know this to be a fact...but...I just assumed that the Tesla power walls were made with used cells from their packs that they replace. Does anyone know if the cells in a power wall are brand new? I don't know if I can make the numbers work out for me but when my Tesla battery dies I would like to keep the cells for solar storage. I think that WK057 is doing something like this.

I certainly do not know this to be a fact...but...I just assumed that the Tesla power walls were made with used cells from their packs that they replace. Does anyone know if the cells in a power wall are brand new? I don't know if I can make the numbers work out for me but when my Tesla battery dies I would like to keep the cells for solar storage. I think that WK057 is doing something like this.
Here’s someone who did it.

I certainly do not know this to be a fact...but...I just assumed that the Tesla power walls were made with used cells from their packs that they replace. Does anyone know if the cells in a power wall are brand new?

The cells in the Powerwalls are brand new, and are a different formulation than is used in vehicles. (In fact last we heard they are using cells manufactured by other suppliers, LG/Samsung/etc., that are imported instead of ones made by Panasonic at GigaNevada.)

I don't know if I can make the numbers work out for me but when my Tesla battery dies I would like to keep the cells for solar storage. I think that WK057 is doing something like this.

It would likely be cheaper to buy a pack/modules elsewhere. (Last I heard Tesla charges a $15k core charge if you want to keep the failed pack.)

EVTV Motor Verks has lots of information about using Model S modules/packs for storage: EVTV Motor Verks Store

Reactions: Nujec
Good point.
If ever the whole battery pack needs to be replaced by Tesla, they could either deny the work request (even if it’s being paid out of pocket), or charge more than the $~20K because Tesla might not want a 3rd party repaired pack.
Most OEMs will not accept cores that have been remanufactured by anyone except themselves so I don’t see why Tesla would.

Well also according to Gerber motor is that they can do the repair for about 5k rather than the 20-22k. So this could encourage more 3rd party shops.

And they also state that after that fix, the rest of the cars stay running very well. So for 5k in 8 years to keep the car running for several more years, doesn’t seem too shabby to me.
That would be a nice solution though I doubt it is a real solution. Keep in mind how they fix it. They just open and isolate the offending cell. All the other cells have the same probability it will crap out and given they have been in service for a while, I wouldn't be surprised another module will crap out and Gerber motors will need another $5K 2 or 3 years down the road again. Or earlier. And the the cycle continues until you loses enough cells to kill the while pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricar
That would be a nice solution though I doubt it is a real solution. Keep in mind how they fix it. They just open and isolate the offending cell. All the other cells have the same probability it will crap out and given they have been in service for a while, I wouldn't be surprised another module will crap out and Gerber motors will need another $5K 2 or 3 years down the road again. Or earlier. And the the cycle continues until you loses enough cells to kill the while pack.
The Gruber repair will find its niche with people who are planning to only own the car for little while longer or propping it up to sell or trade in.

This way that you are thinking and talking about is the opposite of how statistics for rare things work, though. You are talking about this as if the fact that a rare thing happened here makes it MORE likely that another one will happen in the same place. But that's not how that works. Let's say it's some half a percent: 0.005 chance. So what are the chances that there will be two of them happen TO YOU? Well, it's the half a percent and times another half a percent again. So that is 0.005 squared, or 0.000025. Now what about the chances that you have three of them all happen to you in your pack? That is now to the third power, or 0.000000125 chance.

That's how the statistics work. The chances that you get hit with a rare thing once, are kinda rare. The chances that you will repeatedly keep getting hit with that same rare thing repeatedly get vanishingly small for those rare chances to keep compounding over and over on the same person.

That's also assuming a perfectly random distribution of cell failures. All of the cells in that pack may be "junk" and likely to fail. We know different packs have different lifespans and performance. Just ask any v1 90kwh pack owner how much degradation they have, or anyone with a battery-gated 85kwh pack.

This non-random failure distribution applies to hard drives as well, so an array of a dozen or hundreds of drives is often built with drives from different batches to reduce the likelihood that you will have a lot of them fail at once if a batch turns out to be bad. I don't think Tesla does that. They just churn out cells to make packs.

Reactions: TwistedGray
That's also assuming a perfectly random distribution of cell failures. All of the cells in that pack may be "junk" and likely to fail.
Sure, and things may vary like that in sub-populations, where if the population as a whole has a half % failure rate, maybe some groups are more or less than that, but still, if you are computing this to the 2nd and 3rd and 4th power, it gets less and less likely. The chances do not go toward likely with 2nd and 3rd repeat events!

So let's look at an example like that. Let's say you had a totally awful "junk" batch that has 4X the normal failure rate of this half percent realistic level. That would be 2%. That's still a 0.0004 chance it would happen to the same person twice. What if they were insanely awful, with a failure rate 10X the norm, of 5% ? That's a 0.0025 chance it would happen to the same person twice. Unless you're talking of out of this world stuff, like well over half of things failing, the compounding just keeps it from being likely for repeat failures to happen to the same person.
We know different packs have different lifespans and performance. Just ask any v1 90kwh pack owner how much degradation they have, or anyone with a battery-gated 85kwh pack.
Irrelevant. Those were issues with degraded capacity and performance because of cell chemistry issues, not as much outright failure rates of cells going dead.

Last edited: