Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For example just charging with J1772 if i press the unlatch on the charger, it stops charging (there is no lock), I believe this is the charging station doing its thing because there is no lock and the Tesla side has no way to know. (some people buy a plastic clip to lock it so others cannot unplug)
Re: the Tesla side has no way to know
Isn't this applicable to your comment about the J1772?

eF2URdf.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
However in this case the car does lock the connector (Tesla) this is the other end which for chademo the charging station locks, being an adapter I dont know if this fits the standard since there is no current CCS1 adapter this is the first, so is there a spec for a use case that did not exist before?
The charger side of the Setec adapter is the "Vehicle" in this case, and reading the standard it is obviously for safety purposes to prevent disconnecting when the connection is active (it should not be possible to disconnect when the voltage is greater than 60V and current is greater than 1A).

And this standard is DC charging in general (including CCS1 and CCS2), and Tesla's adapter does lock the adapter to the charging cable on both ends, not just on the car end.

Also, it appears that charging side connector does not require a "proximity" switch (I.E. trigger button sensor), so the charger cannot stop when the trigger is pulled, and the Setec CCS adaptor has no sensor for "mechanical lock detection" to detect this either.

The AC charging section does mention proximity shutdown as used for the J1772 connector to shut down when the trigger is pulled, but there is no mention of this for the DC charging section, other than making sure the car can do mechanical lock detection and the car locks the connector to the vehicle.

Section 8 Additional requirements for AC power transfer:
1631747365632.png

Also note: "Configuration EE" vehicle connector is CCS1

Success here

2018 Model 3 LR Dual Motor
Tesla firmware updated today to 2021.32.10
Setec firmware V161-1
Works on AddEnergie SmartDC 50 kW (Flo)
Works on IES-Synergy 24 kW (Chargepoint)

Additional notes:
The CCS trigger does nothing on either charger. However the Setec adapter ("Tesla") button does stop the charge. I usually use the charger controls to stop the charge though (touchscreen/stop button).

It will be interesting to see if V161-1 works with BTC reliably. I had little luck with BTC chargers on either the Electrify Canada or Petro-Canada networks with V150 (before the block) and had to use V145 at the time for reliable operation. Will probably be a while before I get to a BTC charger though. Though the AddEnergie is what is really important for me and that works.

Failure on a Chargepoint unit in Clayton, GA
2018 Tesla Model S running 2021.32.10 and adapter running 161-1. I should have captured the error code but it was pouring down raining. It said something like "fault xxx" then a number on the charging station.
What order of operations produces the best results for everyone? IIRC, I plugged the adapter into the charger, then the adapter into the car, then turned it on (green light illuminates), then I go to the Chargepoint unit and try to pay... This unit has a CCS on one side and CHAdeMO on the other.

• Helpful
Reactions: sTv0 and scottf200
2018 Tesla Model S running 2021.32.10 and adapter running 161-1. I should have captured the error code but it was pouring down raining. It said something like "fault xxx" then a number on the charging station.
What order of operations produces the best results for everyone? IIRC, I plugged the adapter into the charger, then the adapter into the car, then turned it on (green light illuminates), then I go to the Chargepoint unit and try to pay... This unit has a CCS on one side and CHAdeMO on the other.
That's the same order I used. First couple of times failed because I took too long and it timed out, but once I got it fast enough of worked just fine.

I did a lookup on the charger and it looks to be a Tritium VeePower charger. There's one of those near me, I'll go see if 161-1 on my CCS adapter works with it.

1632077820958.png

As far as order goes, I first turn on the adapter, then plug the adapter into the charger, then plug the adapter into the car. I don't know if that has anything to do with working or non-working, (I hope it doesn't) because having to remember the exact order would suck.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I did a lookup on the charger and it looks to be a Tritium VeePower charger. There's one of those near me, I'll go see if 161-1 on my CCS adapter works with it.

View attachment 711410

As far as order goes, I first turn on the adapter, then plug the adapter into the charger, then plug the adapter into the car. I don't know if that has anything to do with working or non-working, (I hope it doesn't) because having to remember the exact order would suck.
My last successful attempt was plug the charger to the adapter, plug the adapter into the car, turn on the adapter, swipe the EA app thingy.

I have no idea if that is correct; that's just what worked for me that time. Your method has also worked for me months ago on the same EA charger.

• Informative

View attachment 711410

Yep that's the unit. Looking forward to hearing if you're successful or not. I'm considering disputing the charge with Visa on this adapter because I have tried it on this Clayton, GA unit as well as these EA units in Stockbridge, GA (on v150) and nothing has ever worked for me. I could have really used it in Clayton the other day too. Having to drop down to the Level 2 units almost meant we had to eliminate one house we were going to see in Mineral Bluff because wouldn't have enough juice to get to a supercharger to make it home. We ended up limping (on backroads) to the Tesla "urban chargers" in Alpharetta and that was a NIGHTMARE. We had to wait about 10mins before we could get a stall and once I finally did it bounced between like 10-35kw and never got above 35kw so a short stop turned into 30+m at night in an area that didn't feel super safe. People were doing burnouts in the parking deck and "cruising" around the parking lot with stereos on 11 just adding to congestion and chaos. Word to the wise, avoid those chargers at all cost if you can especially on busy weekends. It's surrounded by Tesla owners in condos that have no other place to charge and everyone is fighting to get on the chargers because they don't have home charging... I'll never go back to them unless I have absolutely no choice from here on out.

This was the first time when my wife suggested we should stop taking the Tesla on longer road trips because of general super charger congestion. Coming from Mineral Bluff, GA the Tesla nav first had us routing through the Acworth Supercharger to get home but we stopped and when I re-entered the route, it had changed it to go through Alpharetta despite them having 0 stalls available and Acworth having several. This needs to improve as does the overall supercharger capacity.

Having owned a Tesla since 2013, I remember road trips involving stops at RV parks because we had no super chargers, which then turned into some sparse superchargers that were always empty, which has now turned into many superchargers that are often full (with even some stalls broken for weeks/months on end). Why Tesla thinks they can open up their network to other manufacturers at this level of saturation and disrepair is a mystery to me. This will effectively kill one of their biggest selling points (their proprietary charging network which is best of breed). I am very skeptical they'll expand and add enough to keep up with the # of Model 3/Y's being pumped out along with the influx of owners with cars of other brands.... This is causing me to reconsider going electric on my next car (an SUV or pickup), but I digress...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Yep that's the unit. Looking forward to hearing if you're successful or not. I'm considering disputing the charge with Visa on this adapter because I have tried it on this Clayton, GA unit as well as these EA units in Stockbridge, GA (on v150) and nothing has ever worked for me. I could have really used it in Clayton the other day too. Having to drop down to the Level 2 units almost meant we had to eliminate one house we were going to see in Mineral Bluff because wouldn't have enough juice to get to a supercharger to make it home. We ended up limping (on backroads) to the Tesla "urban chargers" in Alpharetta and that was a NIGHTMARE. We had to wait about 10mins before we could get a stall and once I finally did it bounced between like 10-35kw and never got above 35kw so a short stop turned into 30+m at night in an area that didn't feel super safe. People were doing burnouts in the parking deck and "cruising" around the parking lot with stereos on 11 just adding to congestion and chaos. Word to the wise, avoid those chargers at all cost if you can especially on busy weekends. It's surrounded by Tesla owners in condos that have no other place to charge and everyone is fighting to get on the chargers because they don't have home charging... I'll never go back to them unless I have absolutely no choice from here on out.

This was the first time when my wife suggested we should stop taking the Tesla on longer road trips because of general super charger congestion. Coming from Mineral Bluff, GA the Tesla nav first had us routing through the Acworth Supercharger to get home but we stopped and when I re-entered the route, it had changed it to go through Alpharetta despite them having 0 stalls available and Acworth having several. This needs to improve as does the overall supercharger capacity.

Having owned a Tesla since 2013, I remember road trips involving stops at RV parks because we had no super chargers, which then turned into some sparse superchargers that were always empty, which has now turned into many superchargers that are often full (with even some stalls broken for weeks/months on end). Why Tesla thinks they can open up their network to other manufacturers at this level of saturation and disrepair is a mystery to me. This will effectively kill one of their biggest selling points (their proprietary charging network which is best of breed). I am very skeptical they'll expand and add enough to keep up with the # of Model 3/Y's being pumped out along with the influx of owners with cars of other brands.... This is causing me to reconsider going electric on my next car (an SUV or pickup), but I digress...
I would wait to see how they do it. “Opening it up” to other brands could consist of two extra stalls with CCS/Chademo connectors per location. Electrify America and Canada do this now with one token Chademo. In our home town and a bunch of others around here Tesla installs FLO stations in an agreement with the government. Let’s just wait and see how it turns out.

I would wait to see how they do it. “Opening it up” to other brands could consist of two extra stalls with CCS/Chademo connectors per location. Electrify America and Canada do this now with one token Chademo. In our home town and a bunch of others around here Tesla installs FLO stations in an agreement with the government. Let’s just wait and see how it turns out.
I've heard this and it sounds like it would have minimal impact but remember that the capacity on the street might already be close to max with Tesla's stations there... I believe this is what I hit on the urban chargers this weekend because my pack was hot and I was right in the sweet spot for max charge rate and the stall was delivering between 11 and 34kw.... the urban chargers aren't supposed to be shared on the cabinet side so I'm left to conclude that the transformer was givin' it all she's got or I was on a stall functioning in a degraded mode

In the max capacity scenario adding more stalls doesn't do you any good, you're just slicing the same pie into more slices. Sure, having more cars at charge at once is nice because it cuts down on waiting and gives you redundancy if a stall is down, but doesn't help if you can't get any more juice from the utility co.

Either way - back on topic. I've tried this thing at two charging sites. The site with multiple chargers, I tried several. The 2nd location had just the single unit and I'm batting 0%.

Last edited:
In our home town and a bunch of others around here Tesla installs FLO stations in an agreement with the government. Let’s just wait and see how it turns out.
This is also being done in Pasadena, too (city not far from here) where Tesla is *partnering up* with another company and letting them build a few CCS/CHAD chargers in the same lot. Good for them!

i’d rather that than have to wait for a stall to open up because a few Id.4’s, Taycans and e-stangs all decided to charge in front of me at an SC charger.

Separate but Equal!

• Funny