Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got some "weirdness" to report.

Summary: Tesla firmware 2021.32.21 still works with Setec firmware V161-1, but I had a problem with both chargers at a newly installed site that uses the same charger as another working site.

Long story:
Running Tesla firmware 2021.32.21 and Setec firmware V161-1.

I was testing out the new Edson AB Boston Pizza Supercharger and Tesla-installed AddEnergie SmartDC 50 kW Flo chargers, and the Setec CCS adapter would not work on those Flo chargers. Before the charger even started spinning up the fans it reported something like "Session canceled by vehicle" but the Tesla had no error message and was still waiting for charging. This same behavior was noted on both chargers.
These are new (activated October 1).
A CCS checkin on Plugshare with a Kona EV was successful though.

These are the same brand of charger that I normally test on. Coming back home and checking out the Sherwood Park AB Canadian Tire SmartDC 50 kW Flo charger, it worked fine without changing Setec or Tesla firmware.

It might be that the Edson chargers are still being tweaked, possibly with out of spec ratings (maybe voltage similar to what @softcoder noted above)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Connect setec to charger. Connect charger to car, swipe cc on charger, press start charging on charging machine.
What is the manufacturer of that charger? Electrify America uses a number of different charger types.

This post has photos of the various EA charger types.
There's at least 1 other style of Signet. I've personally charged my Bolt on the Signets at both of these sites:

I've never personally seen BTC Power of the style in the earlier post. All the BTC Power ones I've seen and used look similar but not quite the same. See below. I've personally charged my Bolt at both of these.

Avoid using credit card readers, they often suck. Search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card. Better to use RFID cards (EA doesn't have any) or the charging provider's app. I would by extension avoid NFC on EA as the NFC reader is on the CC reader of some of their stations.

I've also DC FC'ed my Bolt on EA's ABB DC FCs. Have never seen EA's Efacec units personally.

Last edited:
1.61 is working in most cases. However, it does not work on the new free Volta mall chargers (there was an experimental firmware a few weeks ago that made it work, but it seems that fix was not implemented into 1.61).
Are you using version 161, or version 161-1? Both are available on Setec's Web site. My understanding is that 161-1 incorporates the changes made after version 150, but prior to 161, for improved charger compatibility; but 161 does not incorporate those changes (or incorporates just some of them).

I was the one who tested a Volta CCS charger (in the Providence Place Mall) about two months ago. There were some subsequent reports on PlugShare by non-Tesla owners of the CCS charger there being broken, so I haven't bothered going back, but it looks like it's been fixed more recently, so maybe I'll give it a try again, just to check its status with the latest Setec firmware.

Are you using version 161, or version 161-1? Both are available on Setec's Web site. My understanding is that 161-1 incorporates the changes made after version 150, but prior to 161, for improved charger compatibility; but 161 does not incorporate those changes (or incorporates just some of them).

I was the one who tested a Volta CCS charger (in the Providence Place Mall) about two months ago. There were some subsequent reports on PlugShare by non-Tesla owners of the CCS charger there being broken, so I haven't bothered going back, but it looks like it's been fixed more recently, so maybe I'll give it a try again, just to check its status with the latest Setec firmware.
I failed at Volta with 161-1. But yes when you get a chance please try the Providence Place Mall charger (as it looks to be the same kind I have in my area), so we can have more data points. Thanks.

Tesla removed the CHaDeMo adapter from their website. I wonder if the Tesla CCS1 adapter will be released soon 🤔
Or some of the chips in it aren't available due to the chip shortage (or are obsolete/end of life) and they have to do a board turn/redesign to use available chips so in the mean time can't order any more.

And if Tesla does redesign it and decide to up it to 100 kW capability, then that may mean that the Setec adapter could go to the 80 kW it is capable of doing.

I try the Setec adapter today at a 50kw electric circuit in Quebec. Firmware 161-1 and Tesla firmware 2021.32.21 model 3 SR+

Teslafi is telling me the charge efficiency was 106%
I notice that I was still charging at 46kw even at 65%. That’s seems to be higher that what I usually get with the Chademo. Anyone notice if the CCS charge at a high rate then the Chademo?

Thanks

I try the Setec adapter today at a 50kw electric circuit in Quebec. Firmware 161-1 and Tesla firmware 2021.32.21 model 3 SR+

Teslafi is telling me the charge efficiency was 106%
I notice that I was still charging at 46kw even at 65%. That’s seems to be higher that what I usually get with the Chademo. Anyone notice if the CCS charge at a high rate then the Chademo?

Thanks
02E3DBE1-8C93-4632-B465-2A512DFD5182.jpeg

Nice !

I thought the most interesting part of the announcement was that no hardware updates are required other than the adapter purchase for any year Model 3/Y. I would have bet a fair amount that was not going to be the case.

Reactions: mociaf9 and jsight
I thought the most interesting part of the announcement was that no hardware updates are required other than the adapter purchase for any year Model 3/Y. I would have bet a fair amount that was not going to be the case.
Well, at least for any Model 3/Y that Tesla sold in Korea... The same may not apply to vehicles sold in the US.