Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to do a 250 mile round trip to Maine this Saturday in 12F weather....but before the snow comes.

Sadly, gonna have to pop the aeros back on for this one. Yes, there are Superchargers along the way, but 12 is awfully cold. I don't want to stop at EVERY SC.

We're going to Michigan and Indiana this weekend. Supposed to be in the negatives on Sunday night and Monday. I'll be sure to leave a little extra buffer, just in case.

Assuming that one completely ignores the navigation projections of battery SOC at the destination and the warnings to slow down to make it!

This begs the question: "how much change are drivers willing to accept?" Driving and maintaining a conventional car is a complex process that most of us don't even think about because we have been doing it for years. Driving an EV is different. You need to plug it in when you get home (if you have charging at home). You get to start out with a full tank every day, if you choose, and don't need to worry about fueling except on road trips. Road trips require a lot more care because DCFC stations are few, compared to gas stations, and charging takes longer than a gasoline fill-up. Are people willing to adapt to a different kind of car? What if the car is cheaper to fuel and has much better performance as well as reduced maintenance, does that help? How did people adapt to the switch from horses to cars and trains in the first place?

A longer range will help with those long road trip edge cases, but at some point the expense of the extra batteries isn't cost-effective for most users. More DCFC stations will help — what would it be like if you could pull off at pretty much every freeway exit to charge, as is the case with gas stations now? Faster charging wiill help but I don't expect battery technology to allow 5 minute fill-ups anytime soon, so that won't be much of a factor.

For many of us who have been road-tripping in a Tesla for awhile, the charge breaks just aren't that big of a deal. I think that more people will discover that, in time. Take a friend on a road trip?
Exactly, when you think about it, with a 310 mile range, figure 250 miles safety limit. That's about 4 hrs of driving. Drink coffee? It'll be time to hit the head, so do it at a super charger. Also, you made a good point, letting the car dictate the trip and plan for super charging. The routes and stops will likely be different between summer and winter. My earlier point was don't go for the adrenaline rush to see if you can make it. Murphy loves electric cars and balls-to-the-wall drivers.

0 miles left. I went another 10 miles just fine.

Yikes. Digging into the reserve. Or it was downhill. For science, next time you do this, you should do it on a single long run from 100% and report what you see on the "Since Last Charge" meter. Be sure to record your available miles before hand, right after the charge. I assume you would get a number that is greater than 75kWh.

WHAT?! On purpose/for testing reasons, or by accident? I don't know if I'd have the guts to drive if the thing got down to even 1 mile. I'd probably find the nearest L2 charger on Plugshare or prepare to call a tow :D

I was coming from Memphis to Chicago.

I Supercharged in Effingham Il. My car said that I would reach the supercharger in Country Club Hills Il. with about 22% of my battery left.

It started raining.

Mileage was declining fast.

about 23 miles from the Country Club Hills supercharger the car indicated "ALERT!! You aren't going to make it"

There was nowhere to charge at all. Plugshare showed that the SC was the closest charge point.

10 Miles away from the SC I hit 0 miles left. I figured...I'm so close to Chicago that I'm within range of Tesla towing

The car kept going.

I reached the Country Club Hills supercharger.

Interestingly it took 2 min and 31 seconds of Supercharging before the car registered its first mile on the screen.

I don't know it for sure, but it appears that there is more battery than what's spoken of.

• Informative
Reactions: halfricanguy
I don't know it for sure, but it appears that there is more battery than what's spoken of.
Or less. Remember the SOC (or miles) is only an estimate. It could be off in either direction, and there are many reports of the car shutting down when the miles displayed is in single digits. You got lucky this time. Don’t encourage people to think they can do the same.

Or less. Remember the SOC (or miles) is only an estimate. It could be off in either direction, and there are many reports of the car shutting down when the miles displayed is in single digits. You got lucky this time. Don’t encourage people to think they can do the same.

Call it what you must.

I didn't do it on purpose...I'm just reporting the facts.

If someone is not smart enough to not do what I did...then at least they are making an educated decision.

next time you do this, you should do it on a single long run from 100% and report what you see on the "Since Last Charge" meter. Be sure to record your available miles before hand, right after the charge. I assume you would get a number that is greater than 75kWh.

Not sure about that - there was the guy on youtube (Daerek?) that ran the Model 3 until it wouldnt go any more. Believe he basically drove around the same block at 25 or 30 mph, and went ~ 600 miles.... but when his car finally wouldnt move - it showed 66 kWh used.

interestingly enough the one time I ran the Perf 3 low i calculated a similar useage if I extrapolated to 0

for the others that have run the car low - what total useage do you see?