Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

She took dad's car for a spin - literally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mit Papas Luxus-Limousine: Abiturienten überschlagen sich - Umland - Abendzeitung München

Passed several cars, then took off into the air. Picture of ramp included.

All 5 kids survived. The Model S probably is the safest car out there, regarding the body structure.

Valet mode might probably have helped this one, though?
Umm, yeah, Valet mode for this driver - very glad to see the driver/passenger compartment still intact and that everyone is OK. Yikes!!!

Rough translation: During a day off from high school examination, took father's car. Lost control apparently due to speed after passing several cars in a left hander. Road exit ramped the car airborne for at least 75 feet, bolting into soft soil on the way down, subsequently flipping (head over tail?) several times (?) before coming to standstill. Occupants could leave the car by themselves, but two were hurt (fractures?). Airlifted to hospital, apparently none of the 5 in lifethreatening condition.

No tree no wall no car. Incredibly lucky, I should say. And probably wearing seatbelts. And, certainly, another proud day for Tesla engineering.

It's a balance between giving your kid the safety of a tesla and the increased risk of crashing a tesla due to the performance opportunities in young hands.
I'd like to to see something beyond valet mode - crippled mode or 'grandma mode' that not only limits top speed but cuts power and acceleration by 50%. Now you have a safe car for drivers at the extremes of age.

It's a balance between giving your kid the safety of a tesla and the increased risk of crashing a tesla due to the performance opportunities in young hands.
I'd like to to see something beyond valet mode - crippled mode or 'grandma mode' that not only limits top speed but cuts power and acceleration by 50%. Now you have a safe car for drivers at the extremes of age.
That wreck is clearly a fake-- the wheels aren't sliced. (that is a joke; ignore if you don't get it) I do love that Tesla puts emphasis on safety, and I hope they continue to do that in the future.

I have to admit, I have no interest in putting a powerful car in the hands of a teenager. This is why it's nice to have base models with more modest power levels. I'm not a big fan of just having a reduced power mode; it just feels wrong to do that, and would aggravate the overbearing parent conflict. I'd rather have a model for teenagers that is simply incapable of high performance. They just aren't responsible or experienced enough for it. They will still be happy you got them a car, without being pissed off that you handicapped it on them.

I completely agree. I want my young driver protected by the safety of the Model S's construction and I want her tempered by settings that align the car's performance with her abilities.

I take it you haven't tried Valet Mode in your car yet. Valid Mode does cut power (capped at 110 kW) and acceleration (0-60 in 9s) and by more than 50% in P85DL. It's more gimped than even the 2nd "dashed limiter" (120 kW) on the P85DL.

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

Last edited: