Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports like these actually seem positive. They base these prices on a PE of 20. They use historical information about luxury brand penetration. What they don't account for is the fact I have not heard anyone who has bought a Tesla say they want to trade it in for an ICE. They are still assuming Tesla will be demand constrained at some point. What I like is that the price of the stock is $58-$113 even with all these other things left out.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, today analyst Patrick Archambault at Goldman Sachs actually raised his price target for TSLA from $61 to $84 while maintaining a neutral rating.
Yeah good point, I mean it is basically a positive report. I think the market is selling because the market is generally crazy in the short term.

The first hour and a half on Tuesdays is usually difficult for TSLA shares as the hedge fund bots do their shorting to push the price through stop limits set by retail shareholders. Unfortunately today the Goldman Sachs analyst triggered a cascade that has been more robust than is typical. I'm surprised he did not wait to comment until after the earnings report as he did on May 9th.

The first hour and a half on Tuesdays is usually difficult for TSLA shares as the hedge fund bots do their shorting to push the price through stop limits set by retail shareholders. Unfortunately today the Goldman Sachs analyst triggered a cascade that has been more robust than is typical. I'm surprised he did not wait to comment until after the earnings report as he did on May 9th.

This is particularly painful... as I bought more shares yesterday lol. Long term.

Looks like good support here around 116 starting to flatten... (but what do I know? *shrugs*)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're long-term, and it isn't borrowed money, then perhaps turning away from the screen will be helpful? Check back again tomorrow? That's what I'd do to prevent my scared self from "selling" and realising the loss instead of riding through (cos if u don't sell then technically you don't have a loss, so just wait it out unless u bought AAPL at 700 then um... you gotta be really patient..)

It's amazing how billions can swing because a random analyst at a bank pulls some variables out of his ass, sets them as worst/average/best scenarios, averages those out to get a price "target", and then sets a "rating" that has little correlation with the price target.

Looks like good support here around 116 starting to flatten... (but what do I know? *shrugs*)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're long-term, and it isn't borrowed money, then perhaps turning away from the screen will be helpful? Check back again tomorrow? That's what I'd do to prevent my scared self from "selling" and realising the loss instead of riding through (cos if u don't sell then technically you don't have a loss, so just wait it out unless u bought AAPL at 700 then um... you gotta be really patient..)

Appears to be the case. There's no news I know of that's driving this. I bought some Aug 160 Calls as I'd been planning to do all along based on the Q2 talk in other threads, was able to get them for half off today :d

As Curt once mentioned, I've got a stop in place - but it's fairly low. Paper profits come and go.

edit: No real news.

It's amazing how billions can swing because a random analyst at a bank pulls some variables out of his ass, sets them as worst/average/best scenarios, averages those out to get a price "target", and then sets a "rating" that has little correlation with the price target.

Pretty much this!

The analyst's case is 200,000 cars pulled out of his behind. Using a 20% discount, also pulled out of thin air. If you apply a 15% discount rate to those numbers then all of a suddent the price target goes up substantially and the stock is a buy.

Bears were just looking for some info to run with and they finally got it; a pullback like this is very healthy since it weeds out the weak investors. Stock will continue to go up leading up to earnings after the dust settles.

I think the words "overdue for a correction" may be relevant. Even if we believe that the stock is going to $1000 in 2025, it should rise gradually in lockstep with Tesla delivering on everything that has to happen between now and then. The last month the stock had been rousing on no substantial news all, which means or is prone to falling on the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.