Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Repost from: Refugee from SA: Julian Cox now on TMC - Page 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A message leading out of Q2. Permission to copy and paste universally granted.

Record of TSLA analysis by Julian Cox: http://www.liionica.com/Julian_Cox_R...A_Analysis.jpg

This is a company disrupting a $2 Trillion industry with the tailwind of history and socioeconomics behind it. The socioeconomics manifests as a deeply felt need for this business to succeed by an economic majority, many of whom are willing to invest hard cash in advance of fundamentals and predict correctly on the willingness of others to do the same.

Why? Because this company and it's product and service road-map breaks the compromise between the near-universally-held concern for the role of automotive in contributing to an unnatural environment and the universally held concerns of consumers to receive superior value for money.

Not only are its products desirable on their merits, it is believable that current and soon-to-be affordable products from this company and those forced to compete with it for survival in the automotive market will be sufficiently widely adopted to change the course of human destiny in which short-term greed and self-destruction are not mutually exclusive.

The jury is in, when it comes to cars and oil. Not even the most ardent Christian can be sold on the idea of buying a Nissan Leaf for rewards in the hereafter despite the ice caps rolling into the sea for their kids to deal with when they are gone. Not even when massive jet-stream anomalies set the Bible Belt on fire in the here and now. An attractive sports sedan or the electric equivalent to a Porsche Cayenne super-sports SUV, an affordable electric equivalent of a BMW M3 with a F150 equivalent to follow and made in Texas USA? Now that's the kind of blessing for which the good Lord can be truly thanked. Note, nobody is talking about taking on Tesla with a superior ICE vehicle, that battle is conceded by default and this alone is entirely indicative of the economic outcome. Arguing against and betting against this business and its valuation is both financially irresponsible and it is also a disservice to the interests of people the world over save only the fact that the endeavor is ever increasingly futile. Note well the fact that the reputation of the New York Times was damaged in the attempt to discredit Tesla, and not Tesla. That is how strongly people feel.

The overall result thus far is an unprecedented spectacle in the history of capitalism. A long and growing line of customers out of the door thrusting cash-up-front upon the company in chunks of circa $100K (each). An automotive startup that is instantly profitable on the first two quarters of mass production despite aggressive infrastructure spending on free charging stations, stores and service centers and shows no credible signs of burning through cash in any meaningful quantity or turning in a real-world loss ever again.

GAAP and Lease Accounting loss in the case of Tesla is Absolutely inapplicable to a right-understanding of reality. Besides providing a residual guarantee, the company is not in any other way genuinely a party to the lease of any vehicle. That would be the partnering banks to its lease program. All cash is received up front by Tesla (read the shareholder's letter). Find another business on Earth that can bank 100% cash up front with profits (and a finance referral commission) and nevertheless be forced by FASB GAAP rules to enjoy a tax loophole that demands the artificially deferred recognition of real and actual profits that are in the bank. ZEV credits in the Non-GAAP, prognosis irrelevant, they are in Q3 now and as reported they can already see that can make gross margins of 25% ex ZEV in Q4.

Tesla is 5 years ahead of any credible competition. All would-be competition to date is a failure, Audi eTron (program cancelled), Nissan Infiniti (program set back) both effectively citing Tesla Model S. BMW literally a financial analyst's laughing stock (on the earnings call), all the rest actually including BMW are range-hobbled econoboxes and pointless hybrids predicated on the idea that someone is willing to give up convenience (and value for money) to be seen to be "green". They are not, people want desirable cars and then if possible to be green as well. That's Tesla.

In order to tout or to accept the notion that Tesla as a tech stock is not worth a profit multiple enormously greater than the purely illusory value of Amazon, Facebook, Google, Twitter, eBay (including PayPal) or any other website or talking-shop floating around in cyberspace (or indeed any of the design houses of Internet content-creation and viewing devices), then with no disrespect to the evident utility of the former to help come to an understanding of what we need to be doing, that decision having been made in the form of Tesla, one would have to have become completely divorced from the realities of what actually matters in the form economic value in manufactured goods and energy that determines the actual quality of real lives down on the surface of planet Earth.

Just closed out all my short-term OTM calls: Aug 160s (bought 2.56, sold 3.1), Aug 170s (bought 1.6, sold .98) and Sept 160s (bought 5.45, sold 9.85) which I bought on earnings day and Sept 180s (bought 4.7, sold 4.1) which I bought yesterday. (note: I'm holding all my stock/LEAPs/ITMoptions w/no intentions of selling any time soon.)

Over 50% of my purchases was Sept 160s and since those were the biggest gainers, the overall trade worked out for me (about +45% gain overall). I'm glad I chose a majority of Sept 160s instead of Aug 160s, as the Sept date gave me a bigger margin of safety (but of course smaller gains if there was a huge breakout).

My latest thoughts are that the stock feels like it's consolidating at $155 and that it could go either way (plus or minus $10) in the next week or so. Thus, my short-term OTM calls seemed more of bigger gamble in the short-term than what I'm comfortable with (I like having the odds heavily in my favor with short-term OTM calls, not just slightly). If it drops $5-10, then I'll be looking to get back in with a short-term option play (very small % of my total holdings though) with Sept calls. But, I'm hoping the stock does do well, consolidates and continues its rise.

Last edited:
Volume just seems so low (especially compared to yesterday) that it's making it easier for me to want to hold. It might be because it's a Friday and we all know no one really works on Friday ;)

Hoping Monday morning will bring a pop. Also hoping they Hyperloop announcement might help. Anyone know how it will be announced and what time?

I agree $155 is what it is gravitating toward to, and that is the price I hedge at. I sold a lot of weekly $155 call since yesterday and weather out a lot of movement.

Most of my new positions are quite ITM calls: Sep135, Dec 150 etc, which I added just before the ER. I paid a lot of premium but I know they are a lot more likely to make profit. I've been selling a lot shorter term and OTM calls , which constitute a bull diagonal spread, which works out great in the last two days.

However I will enter more weekly calls before end of bell today for the next Monday play.

Reading the twitter feed for $TSLA gives me a lot of conviction. The vast majority of people there still believe that demand is falling off for Model S and are pointing at Q2 report as evidence. They are actively shorting the stock. I believe there is still another squeeze to come, but not right now...apparently Q2 was not a good enough punch in the gut yet.

BTW, I'm long on TSLA - and don't plan to sell anytime soon. But I bought the stock to support EVs, rather than make money.

If you bought the stock from other investors (that is, on the open market and not in an IPO or secondary offering) then I don't see how you achieved that goal? The money didn't go to Tesla. Maybe by pumping up the stock price a microcent, you raised a little more attention, but that's about it.

If you bought the stock from other investors (that is, on the open market and not in an IPO or secondary offering) then I don't see how you achieved that goal? The money didn't go to Tesla. Maybe by pumping up the stock price a microcent, you raised a little more attention, but that's about it.

Rising stock helps the company. Helps them with secondary offerings (the last one transformed the company from cash-strapped and indebted political football to solid balance sheet independent company) and with employee retention, favorable supplier contracts, favorable bond terms, bargaining power with partners, etc, etc, etc.

And they are lapping up JP's article:

"RT @philstockworld Great analysis of $TSLA 's "Fairy Tale Financing" (we're short at $155) #Tesla -- Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): Tesla's Non-GAAP Fairy Tale - Seeking Alpha "

- - - Updated - - -

Rising stock helps the company. Helps them with secondary offerings (the last one transformed the company from cash-strapped and indebted political football to solid balance sheet independent company) and with employee retention, favorable supplier contracts, favorable bond terms, bargaining power with partners, etc, etc, etc.

Eh. You are reaching...really far. In the end you've done nothing to support anything but your own bank account. I don't say that to be mean, that's just the fact of how the stock market works.

Status
Not open for further replies.