Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is making me feel bad. I told someone in another thread last night (who was wanting to buy immediately this morning, after missing all of the recent run up waiting for it to fall back to $35) that he should probably hold off from buying. Up 9% on the day??!! TSLA makin be look like a fool, lol.

This is making me feel bad. I told someone in another thread last night (who was wanting to buy immediately this morning, after missing all of the recent run up waiting for it to fall back to $35) that he should probably hold off from buying. Up 9% on the day??!! TSLA makin be look like a fool, lol.

TSLA has made a lot of fools and it surely isn't done. Hey, holding off could still be an option. Nobody knows. It was upgraded today, announced a high profile hire and the earnings is a couple days away. I think the advice has to be do what you feel but it's moving one way or another so hold on to your hat.

You and me both. But you know, "Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered."

I've retreated to my Bull position, really trying to avoid being a Pig.

30 minutes before closing, Elon posted 2 Tweets:

1) Chris Porritt from Aston Martin just joined as head of vehicle engineering at Tesla
2) Anyone interested in doing ultra hardcore vehicle engineering at Tesla, please apply!

I think that this is responsible, in part, for the last 30 minutes run up!! Good work Elon ... the shorts are panicking !!

What a nice day ($$) !!!

You and me both. But you know, "Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered."

I've retreated to my Bull position, really trying to avoid being a Pig.

I need to rethink my thinking on the trading range. I'm fully invested now, so I am set for the moment, but I've been thinking there was a very credible case of a pullback into the mid 40's. I actually had some sell orders set up in case it started falling today.

But now that would require a 25% fall to hit $45 after an earnings report where WallSt is expecting ~~.06 EPS and I have to make estimates that I believe to be demonstrably wrong to get there. My own personal expectation is .11 EPS and I've run credible simulations that are far higher than that.

Am I supposed to think we established a real floor at $51 when we are at $60 now? I think I just need to let it do its thing and see where it takes me.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be, but I'm not so certain of this. These things aren't random.

No, but its just a simple fact that Tesla hasn't delivered 10,000 Model S's. They might be around 9,600 now.

30 minutes before closing, Elon posted 2 Tweets:

1) Chris Porritt from Aston Martin just joined as head of vehicle engineering at Tesla
2) Anyone interested in doing ultra hardcore vehicle engineering at Tesla, please apply!

I think that this is responsible, in part, for the last 30 minutes run up!! Good work Elon ... the shorts are panicking !!

What a nice day ($$) !!!

The same tweets in opposite order would be hilarious

Guys! And girls! Back in Jan. I took some cash and bought some of a company that I believe in. Total stock newbie (wife & I have invested almost exclusively in real estate over the years) At the time I thought "hey, just maybe, I might be able to cover my Model X res$ w my TSLA". Not even 4 months later & it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING that way! Wow. Go go go!

But now that would require a 25% fall to hit $45 after an earnings report where WallSt is expecting ~~.06 EPS and I have to make estimates that I believe to be demonstrably wrong to get there. My own personal expectation is .11 EPS and I've run credible simulations that are far higher than that.
Wall St is expecting a loss? Even after Elon has publicly stated they made a profit?

Is there some financial wizardry that allows that? I'm not being facetious with that question since I know there's GAAP profitable and then non-GAAP profitable, but I thought Elon had stated Tesla would be profitable by both measures. Is there some other measure that makes the Wall St expected loss somehow jive with Elon's statements?

This stock is performing absolutely phantasmic, especially the last 3 weeks.

For the last 2 week I have been thinking how to get out of this investment. I want to at least secure some of the profits. Also TSLA is now overweighted in my portfolio ;)

So ... what I did:

I put in a TRAILING 6% SELL order on 20% of my shares, and a
TRAILING 10% SELL order for another 20 %.

Then the fun started.

The limits just kept going skywards. Last week they didn't do much. But again today - lots of profit secured. Limited downside.

So if we don't see a big downward gap Thursday, I guess I'll be fine.

Any comments by the resident Market Gurus?

Guys! And girls! Back in Jan. I took some cash and bought some of a company that I believe in. Total stock newbie (wife & I have invested almost exclusively in real estate over the years) At the time I thought "hey, just maybe, I might be able to cover my Model X res$ w my TSLA". Not even 4 months later & it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING that way! Wow. Go go go!

I also hopped in Jan time frame with same idea except I want to have enough to buy the WHOLE X, will hopefully get to that point in the next 3 or 4 years. At this rate maybe sooner. :O I'm not close yet but I have enough in unrealized profit for a couple reservations...Never bought a share of stock in my life. Heck, I'm even doing options now. I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm until Thursday but like Citizen just said, even a 25% drop would still leave us in a good spot. Heck, I'm excited if it goes up or down. If it does go down that means I can buy more, hahaha.

Wall St is expecting a loss? Even after Elon has publicly stated they made a profit?

Is there some financial wizardry that allows that? I'm not being facetious with that question since I know there's GAAP profitable and then non-GAAP profitable, but I thought Elon had stated Tesla would be profitable by both measures. Is there some other measure that makes the Wall St expected loss somehow jive with Elon's statements?

He's saying about $.06, hence the '~' character. Not '-'.

- - - Updated - - -

This stock is performing absolutely phantasmic, especially the last 3 weeks.

For the last 2 week I have been thinking how to get out of this investment. I want to at least secure some of the profits. Also TSLA is now overweighted in my portfolio ;)

So ... what I did:

I put in a TRAILING 6% SELL order on 20% of my shares, and a
TRAILING 10% SELL order for another 20 %.

Then the fun started.

The limits just kept going skywards. Last week they didn't do much. But again today - lots of profit secured. Limited downside.

So if we don't see a big downward gap Thursday, I guess I'll be fine.

Any comments by the resident Market Gurus?

This stock is insanely volatile and as we have seen, capable of rising and falling dramatically. I had a similar strategy and it caught me. In the end it ended up being fine as I got my shares back and bought new options that were more inline with where the stock now was. You setup is better than mine though. But keep in mind we could suffer a very quick, temporary dip. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we do tomorrow morning. (I wouldn't be shocked about anything at this point!)

Status
Not open for further replies.