Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Elon's silence is a deliberate attempt to downplay the situation? Maybe he does not want to be seen to be panicking by something that sounds like it happened by accident. They already released a statement detailing how the car effectively did its job in the situation. ICE cars catch fire at a greater rate and their CEO's don't appear to care. People losing their sht when it happens to a Tesla is bound to be short lived before common sense prevails. Just a thought that will probably be busted when he announces a thorough analysis and pro-active response.

General market sentiment doesn't seem great right now and it looks like we'll be spending a night out of the channel in the cold. Hopefully we can make it to earnings unscathed.

Seemed pretty stable today around low 170. Bought 250 shares right before closing. We should be back in the 190s after Q3 report. I don't think I will hold these shares as long as I plan on holding the rest, because I don't want to be even more lopsided with my investments that I already am. But I think this should be an easy 10% gain in the next 1-2 months....

Without a source, this is just a joke from one Twitter user.
Sure it may be false, but I wouldn't doubt it being staged.
Here are the questions in my mind:
There were about 30+ cars in traffic at that time, everyone has a smart phone that can take photos/videos now a days, yet there is only a single video of the incident? Is that really possible?
How did the guy know the car was new (I have watched the video a dozen times, and I see 0 indication of it being new from the front)? And he was very quick to identify it as a TSLA (the video seems to be taken from the drivers side, so he doesn't care about phone operating rules to take the video, up to something?). I know TSLA has become very popular recently, but 80%+ people still don't know what TSLA is...
They say it hit a large metallic object, what was it? We don't know. The highway was single (maybe 2 lanes) wide.... If there was something that big in the middle of the road, how come no one else hit it except a TSLA, and why didn't the driver move out of the way when he noticed the cars in front of him moving to avoid the obsticale?

Are we to assume that when shorts are loosing billions of dollars, someone out there won't do something like this to re-coup some losses?
It just all seems to perfect, the video, the fire, the timing (in terms of the US economy as a whole)...

Maybe I'm just a conspirocy theorist, but still, even if it was real, everyone is slowly recognizing that TSLA is better/safer than a ICE would be in this situation. SO I'm going ahead and buying some short term OTM lottery tickets...

Sure it may be false, but I wouldn't doubt it being staged.
Here are the questions in my mind:
There were about 30+ cars in traffic at that time, everyone has a smart phone that can take photos/videos now a days, yet there is only a single video of the incident? Is that really possible?
How did the guy know the car was new (I have watched the video a dozen times, and I see 0 indication of it being new from the front)? And he was very quick to identify it as a TSLA (the video seems to be taken from the drivers side, so he doesn't care about phone operating rules to take the video, up to something?). I know TSLA has become very popular recently, but 80%+ people still don't know what TSLA is...
They say it hit a large metallic object, what was it? We don't know. The highway was single (maybe 2 lanes) wide.... If there was something that big in the middle of the road, how come no one else hit it except a TSLA, and why didn't the driver move out of the way when he noticed the cars in front of him moving to avoid the obsticale?

Are we to assume that when shorts are loosing billions of dollars, someone out there won't do something like this to re-coup some losses?
It just all seems to perfect, the video, the fire, the timing (in terms of the US economy as a whole)...

Maybe I'm just a conspirocy theorist, but still, even if it was real, everyone is slowly recognizing that TSLA is better/safer than a ICE would be in this situation. SO I'm going ahead and buying some short term OTM lottery tickets...

The thought definitely crossed my mind once or twice :) In the incredibly unlikely chance that this was the case, and it was made public, I think it's safe to say it would really 'light a fire' under the stock and do far more than Brodergate ever did.

But, this is reality. Tesla already issued a statement on what caused the fire. I think it's safe to say that this was an accident, thankfully a minor one in which the car behaved "as designed."

Oh, I'm absolutely convinced that entrenched, powerful interests / potential enemies of Tesla Motors could go to this or greater lengths to combat a competitor that has the potential to revolutionize the entire planet and make the combustion engine extinct...but in this case I am highly skeptical.

However, the random poster on twitter just replied "local LEO's" meaning local law enforcement officers. Still no source = not trade-worthy info.

Dont mean to spread paranoia. But what do you guys think the odds are that there will be a massive/expensive recall?

This is what worries me:

"The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration normally sends teams of investigators to high-profile or unusual vehicle crashes. The agency investigated the causes of fires in a plug-in General Motors Co. (GM) Chevrolet Volt and in Fisker Automotive Inc. Karma sedans. Both of those investigations led to recalls."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-03/tesla-falls-for-second-day-as-car-fire-prompts-questions.html

This downward movement is only a correction...

One car catching on fire did not cause the stock to drop 10%.

One trade analyst downgrade did not cause the drop.

Window dressing by itself at the end of the quarter did not cause the drop.

Washington being the typical do nothing self serving leaches and shutting down the government, did not cause this.

It was just the random acts that fed off each other and together ALL of the above contributed to the drop.

It would be very hard to prove it was staged. It could have been staged and TSLA not know about it.

How hard is it for a group of shorts to get together, have one of them drive a MS down the highway behind a pick up truck. The rest of the crew dumps some metal debris in front of the tesla to get run over, and voilà !

As far as TSLA knows , the car kit a metal object and battery caught on fire

Most likely this wasn't staged, but stock will rocket if it was!

Dont mean to spread paranoia. But what do you guys think the odds are that there will be a massive/expensive recall?

This is what worries me:

"The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration normally sends teams of investigators to high-profile or unusual vehicle crashes. The agency investigated the causes of fires in a plug-in General Motors Co. (GM) Chevrolet Volt and in Fisker Automotive Inc. Karma sedans. Both of those investigations led to recalls."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-03/tesla-falls-for-second-day-as-car-fire-prompts-questions.html

One of them, at least, was a voluntary recall. The other was an engine problem.

I actually think the stock movement isn't due to fires, by the way. I think the irrational exuberance over Tesla has been muted for the last few days, and this has caused Tesla to trade with the market, which is down. I don't think there's a selloff due to fires, I think it's just that potential buyers, the new entries which have been pushing the price up for months, are taking a bit of time off to see how this all shakes out.

Note that Tesla is trading almost in exact sympathy with NASDAQ all day. Thus, as much as I hate to think it, because prior to the gov shutdown I thought it would have no effect (since TSLA never traded with the market before), I think the gov shutdown is what's primarily affecting the stock, via the whole market, rather than the fires. Just since we had Baird and everything else happen in the last couple days, people have been holding off.

Also, I think we should stop talking about fires.

It would be very hard to prove it was staged. It could have been staged and TSLA not know about it.

How hard is it for a group of shorts to get together, have one of them drive a MS down the highway behind a pick up truck. The rest of the crew dumps some metal debris in front of the tesla to get run over, and voilà !

As far as TSLA knows , the car kit a metal object and battery caught on fire

Most likely this wasn't staged, but stock will rocket if it was!

If it is staged, then it won't be as simple as "a large metallic object". Negal's theory of Gas canister metallic object comes to mind. Anyway, just pure speculation. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.