Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if a "White House Petition" was started stipulating that dealership laws in conflict with the "interstate commerce clause" be rescinded. Would this appeal to President Obama's background in Constitutional law? I am not an attorney. Is there a legal basis for this?

Another White House petition won't change anything, there already is one. Also, it's generally not the President's job to make decisions about what is and is not Constitutional, it's the Supreme Court's job. The President can suggest legislation, make executive orders, advocate for cases and such, but he's not a legislator and he's not a judiciary.

Another White House petition won't change anything, there already is one. Also, it's generally not the President's job to make decisions about what is and is not Constitutional, it's the Supreme Court's job. The President can suggest legislation, make executive orders, advocate for cases and such, but he's not a legislator and he's not a judiciary.

I am convinced this is more of a political issue than a legal issue.

1. Many conservative groups oppose Tesla Motors because they associate it with Obama's energy program (Solyndra, A123 systems).

2. The tenets of many these conservative groups tout them to be pro-business.

My argument for another petition is doing everything possible to make this a "political issue". I do not see how any politician (conservative or otherwise) can claim to be pro-business while preventing a company from bringing a new product to the marketplace.

Trade groups preventing commerce, is contrary to our core capitalism and fundamental freedoms. I want to see this issue debated on "Face the Nation".

Theodore Roosevelt famously used the "Bully Pulpit" of his office to speak out against monopolies and in support of the environment.

Today, the National Automotive Dealers Association (NADA) seeks to monopolize the automotive industry by limiting Tesla Motors ability to bring their product to market.

Tesla Motors seeks to improve our environment by advancing the electrification of transportation.

I am advocating that a second petition be written requesting President Obama use the "Bully Pulpit" of his office to speak out on these matters.

Last edited:
the tide seems to be turning further, more of this lately should be giving some steady lift I would think:

"The Tesla Model S isn't just good "for an electric car." It's not just worth the price "once you factor in government tax credits." It's a car that's easily worth every penny of its admittedly hefty sticker price and, as a bonus, it has no tailpipe exhaust or engine noise. It's powerful, a thrill to drive and it has an amazingly capacious interior. It won Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" award last year and Consumer Reports called it the best car it had ever tested."

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013/12/26/2013-favorite-cars/8.html

1. Many conservative groups oppose Tesla Motors because they associate it with Obama's energy program (Solyndra, A123 systems).

2. The tenets of many these conservative groups tout them to be pro-business.

There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around.

Liberal groups arguing for the principles of unfettered laissez-faire capitalism but only when it comes to companies they like.

Standing in favor of a $19B corporation against mom and pop car dealerships?

I know some dealerships are mega corporations too.

But would people here feel the same if instead of Tesla it was $8B corporation Chrysler LLC trying to undo these franchise laws?

Sure, the franchise laws are unconstitutional, not to mention outdated. Why are automobiles considered a special product that must be sold through a dealer? Why is no other product subject to similar regulation?
Alcoholic beverages are in the same category, but that was a particular compromise from the end of Prohibition. E.g., here in MA, I can't order wine directly from out-of-state wineries.

Guns & ammo. California requires that if you purchase online, the transaction be finalized through a licensed California firearms dealer. But that's not about protecting the local firearms dealer. That's about the gun licensing requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Liberal groups arguing for the principles of unfettered laissez-faire capitalism but only when it comes to companies they like.

It is human nature to pay attention to the issues/companies that speak to the heart and policies that one believes in. Liberals & conservatives alike. To say that liberals only argue one way when it comes to companies they like implies that conservatives would never do the same. We ALL do that.

The real test of any belief is if it is applied evenly, whether it is for what you like or what you don't like. That is what makes things like freedom of speech so difficult when it comes to someone burning a flag.

So yes, the franchise laws need to go. While I've never liked Walmart coming into small towns and destroying all the local businesses, I've always recognized that it is consumer choice and free enterprise. And I don't like it.

Zacks' article now imbedding the false association of the fire in the garage as a battery fire hazard. Less blatant, likely an honest mistake, but nonetheless, part of the rational to responding to the Wall Street Cheat Sheet "article"

"The software update is apparently in response to the recent garage fire in Irvine, Calif.,... The move will prevent the battery from catching fire even when there is a problem in the wiring system outside the car. This will make it safe to charge the car in unfamiliar places."

Tesla's Latest Software Update - Yahoo Finance

Meanwhile, the bots are busy feeding Twitter with the notion that GM wants to buy Tesla.

ts-gm-spam.jpg

It's enough to make it look like a coordinated effort. Like somebody wants to manipulate the stock price (or, Occam's Razor would suggest, simply drive traffic to a silly article at some content farm.) Either way, the bots, they be busy today.

More like gm wants to buy tesla so they can kill the electric car again. Aren't we glad the gov has no sway on tsla now that it repaid the loans?

What's curious to me is, what does this rumor serve? With GM's track record, surely it doesn't believe that Elon will even consider selling to them. And, I'v never heard of a coordinate media blitz by bulls before.

Sorry to break in and talk about the short term movements of TSLA, but... ;)

I was expecting a sell-off today, since it is the last day of the year and some investors want to take profits.

Doesn't make it any nicer to see it though...

While I'm here... may everyone have a fortuitous 2014 containing many miles travelled in a Tesla!!!

I wouldn't personally call it a sell-off... but thats just me. Looks like we are holding the uptrend. Today and the next trading day we will be testing some support as seen below:

8dnbuPZI.png

We are also testing resistance at the top of the downtrend (red):
(Sorry for the mess of a chart, this is about equivalent to my clarity on the subject :wink:)

VBImtiq5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.