Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold covered calls yesterday - felt we were in a too much too fast period.

However, this stock has done this before and it's shaping up to be a great buying opportunity here. I think calls are still really expensive for August, but with earnings potentially blowing it up (or crashing it further!) there's a premium all the way around.

I may bly to close my covered calls soon, as they are for AUG 140 and have dropped greatly the last day. But also considering getting some calls...

Nope - the author remains anonymous...

The author notes his location and refers to his firm's name in passing in the letter. It's not a fund I am familiar with though, nor one large enough to merit disclosure of equity holdings in quarterly SEC filings. I am only able to find one person's name affiliated with the fund, so I surmise the author is either Travis Cocke or a colleague.

Mr. Travis Cocke co-founded Southpaw Capital LLC in 2011. Mr. Cocke is a Managing Member for several private investment partnerships with interest in real estate and public equities. Mr. Cocke has over seven years of public market investment experience including over two years as a Portfolio Manager with complete investment discretion for the public equity portfolio of a small family office. He served as a Portfolio Manager at Farney Management Corp., and an Investment Analyst at Ascendant Advisors, LLC. He also held positions at the Teacher Retirement System of Texas, and at Omega Advisors, Inc. Mr. Cocke has been a Director at Samex Mining Corp. since 2013. Mr. Cocke received a BBA in Finance from Texas A&M University.

edit: Travis Cocke started Southpaw in late 2011, after a 2 years stint at a local Houston money management firm. He graduating with his bachelors in 2009, and spent what looks like a winter break during his senior year interning at Omega Advisors.

Last edited:
CNBC drives it down again.

Opening statement by the guy named Josh on TV: Goldman says tesla could be worth only $54... then goes on to mention that that was the bear case, and the average case was $80+ and totally leaves out the bull figure.

Why do they do this? It's ridiculous and unbalanced reporting.

Down $15. People are panicking.. Elon should send a warm n fuzzy tweet...

This is great :p a few more days like this and I can get back in with a significantly increased position. All you longs don't fret, in a year or so the price will be well beyond this. In the mean time, let poor folks like me increase our position.

Loving it as well. I seriously thought I'd missed out on being able to get any kind of options foothold for the Q2 earnings due to the runup so I was just mildly long with some cash waiting on the side for a drop to $120. Luckily I overslept this morning, so it's like waking up on Christmas right now :).

Which months/strikes are you buying?

I bought some things in AUG. I had July calls that I sold at the highs yesterday. Wanted to get some exposure to earnings so I wanted something in Aug, but it was too expensive for me yesterday. Liking the prices much better today.

Let's be honest, we are down $21 in less than two days, because an analyst that has been wrong about TSLA for forever raised his price target.

Given today's bloodbath, I think Mr. Musk would be well-advised to not publicly tweet, talk, or write about Hyperloop for a good long while.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be honest, we are down $21 in less than two days, because an analyst that has been wrong about TSLA for forever raised his price target.

What about the rumor that Tesla's accounting methods for recognizing revenue with the customer financing and Musk personal guarantees is being questioned re Q2 results? What if there are teeth to that rumor?

Might be looking at a record single day drop (aside from the "executives left" one day blip 18 months ago).

It wasn't any executive. It was Peter Rawlinson. I was contemplating taking some profits off the table a few minutes ago, but this feels too much like a set up. Friday we close at an all time high. Then this letter from an Analyst who upp'd his target. From the same bank that led the financing rounds. More importantly, one week before Q2 earnings where many are expecting a slight loss.

Somebody knows something we don't.

It wasn't any executive. It was Peter Rawlinson. I was contemplating taking some profits off the table a few minutes ago, but this feels too much like a set up. Friday we close at an all time high. Then this letter from an Analyst who upp'd his target. From the same bank that led the financing rounds. More importantly, one week before Q2 earnings where many are expecting a slight loss.

Is goldman the party that loses out if the earlier notes get converted?

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that there are 42 members and 90 guests viewing this thread alone. Anyhow, the leaked 5454 production numbers for Q2 might give a surprise positive eps or something according to the other thread so yes i think this is a buying opportunity imo.

So, your set up scenario leads you to believe to stay long or this is buying opportunity? I have a low ball order in right now. I am long. Good, game changing product with good growth prospects. This may be a large 'speed bump' in the road...maybe even a couple more speed bumps over the next few days but ultimately it is not a cliff.

Hi everyone. I'm half way across the world with limited internet access. Can someone give me an update as to what's going on today? The losses are out of line from what I've already read (not a whole lot though).

Seems like a tactical move, but I'd appreciate some clarification.

Thanks so much.

I'm really starting to freak out here and I so want to sell and get the hell out of this. I keep reading things like "someone knows something we don't" and things like that. Like I've said before I'm a newbie at this, but isn't it unusual for a stock to drop 14% in one day without anything really to cause it to do so? I just need to try to understand what's going on and why.

Jeff

Interesting that there are 42 members and 90 guests viewing this thread alone. Anyhow, the leaked 5454 production numbers for Q2 might give a surprise positive eps or something according to the other thread so yes i think this is a buying opportunity imo.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the 5,454 production number? I didn't see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.