Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Causalien or anyone: Care to elaborate on who might be doing the TSLA manipulation and why? I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum. But curious if you also believe this is TSLA specific, tech stocks in general, or HFT algorithms maybe doing such manipulation for all stocks?

RT
Really unlikely for it to be HFT. While there is a ton of FUD on the news, that's not really how they work. The type of manipulation they would theoretically be capable of is more on the order of seconds and minutes than days and weeks and using analyst reports. Common misconception.

TSLA Pilot- This forum has had lots of discussions in the past about "catching falling knives". The prevailing opinion is you don't want to do it. The voice of experience says to give up some of the advantage of buying right at the bottom and wait until there's substantial evidence that the stock has not only bottomed out but has solidly begun rising again. That said, I bought some shares yesterday and should have waited until today (thus confirming that I fall prey to "buy at the bottom" fever along with many of the rest of you). The kind of price appreciation we've seen in the past couple of hours looks like a much more solid reversal to me than anything we saw yesterday. Giving up today's 262 low and buying at 265 or 266 on the way up makes more sense than thinking you caught the bottom at 269 yesterday. Oh well, live and learn.

Along those same lines, I just purchased another 50 shares today at a 5-6% discount due to the "FUD Sale." Let's take advantage of them when we can!

My question: In earlier FUD Sales I've purchased too soon, usually the day of the drop. Based on gut feel, today I waited until the second day, but wonder if anyone has any insights on the best time to stock up on TSLA after or during a FUD attack? Is it a day or two after, or more? Does it vary depending upon the type/source of the attack?

Granted, when TSLA is a 4-figure stock these differences are minute, but still best to buy when it's on sale, especially if buying on margin . . .

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
The sun is coming out........for now.

Here is my $0.02 worth...

two cents.jpg

The typical players manipulates the market according to their firing power.

Value investors, TA investors, HFT (what? 80% now), Short funds (un)hedged fund, Mutual funds/pension funds

Most of the orders flows are probably hidden with Computer orders now and broke. up. So 80% market dhare for HFT might not be right.

I would say the banks are doing the manipulation according to their client's will and whether or not it fits their interest. For example, you won't see goldman sachs pulling these kind of ****, because they've been the lead underwriter for TSLA's financial maneuvers. Their analyst acts accordingly and just come out with the average consensus target. Nothing exciting, don't want to anger your golden goose.

Analyst independence is a joke. Meredith Whitney, after a precisioncall on Citi, almost come out with a hit piece on BAC until she got wined and dined by Ken Lewis. A few months later, she got funding for her own research firm. She was a rogue analyst who was actually correct and making her clients money. This is what happens to an analyst that makes real money.

So to find out who is behind, who are UBS's clients that have ties to TSLA. Who are Adam Jonas's clients who have ties to TESLA in any form? Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the connections to follow this train of thought, nor the money to wine and dine people till the truth comes out. The manipulation could be for anything. Someone wants an out on their holding. An C level exec needs to borrow against their stock so the banks need to hedge the other way. George Soros shorting 2 million shares before his filing with SEC about his 1mil share holding.

Well, a TA read is that today's action is all about the 20 day MA. We have had this weird bi-modal price action the last few weeks. We were charging up, above the 20day, then that odd unprovoked 2-day drop put us right at the 20 day MA. It then calmly *resumed* the march up at the same rate, but right on the 20 day. Then the announcement last friday sent it back up, presumably resuming its prior little mini-channel. The UBS downgrade put is right back on the 20day MA. Today dropped below briefly but market seems to want to close it on that line.

tl;dr: 20day MA is strong support.

20day.JPG

From what I read the silicon anode is an important path to achieving higher energy density, and it's a big deal
for tesla . This is a bullish event that has not been fully understood and discounted in my view.
The more important thing to note, is that while other battery manufacturers are known to be adding 1-3% silicone, this update from Tesla makes it look like they have found a way to safely increase the % silicone before other manufacturers.

1st positive, silicone is known to be the right direction by all parties
2nd some/many/most manufacturers already include a tiny amount of it in production batteries already (i.e. it is safe already to an extent)
3rd Tesla is pushing the envelope and beating everyone to get the initial benefits sooner.

More talk about why aapl should buy TSLA and it looks like Zacks upgraded TSLA?

In other words, ANYTHING can help TSLA today...

Someone help me out here on the "Apple should buy Tesla" stuff.

Why?

The only reasons I ever see given in these articles are "because Tesla is a market leader, Apple has a ******** of cash, and they are rumored to be making a car." Other than that last part, and the fact that auto is potentially a big revenue and profit driver, why on earth would that make sense or be something that so many people talk about? Is it really just a "both companies try to revolutionize their respective industries so they make sense together" thing or am I missing something?

Why?

The only reasons I ever see given in these articles are "because Tesla is a market leader, Apple has a ******** of cash, and they are rumored to be making a car." Other than that last part, and the fact that auto is potentially a big revenue and profit driver, why on earth would that make sense or be something that so many people talk about? Is it really just a "both companies try to revolutionize their respective industries so they make sense together" thing or am I missing something?

If it was my job to write articles about the tech industry I would never shut up about it, for the reasons you say in your first sentence. Easy money.

Why?

I think the few likely reasons for it would be as follows: 1) Musk and Tesla's #1 goal is to drive EV adoption to the mass market as quickly as possible. Apple, no matter other opinions of them, does indeed convince millions of people to try a new technology that otherwise would not be considered (smartphones being the big one, and even the Apple Watch took over 75% of market share in a 2-3 year old market); 2) Unlimited money, would help with goal #1 substantially; 3) Musk's priority is Spacex, not cars.

I think a goal #3 at this point too will be Tesla Energy, which will require far more investment and far more money but for Musk's overall goals could be drastically kick-started into action with Apple's cash.

On its own I think in a couple decades Tesla would be far bigger than Apple; however, if Apple bought Tesla I wouldn't be surprised to see EVs outsell new ICEs within a decade at most.

And of course, in the short-term if Tesla did decide on something like that, I imagine Musk would ask for a crazy huge premium along with other demands such as being able to remain in primary control through the Model 3.

Today's price action has been interesting because we saw a clear turnaround to the negative trajectory of TSLA and a climb into positive territory. Now, in the final half hour of trading, we're seeing a classic shorts vs. long battle as the stock goes up a point and down a point again and again, sometimes in less than a minute's time. Shorts are trying very hard to get TSLA to close in the red, and buyers are responding by bringing it right back into the green. A day trader could do well working this battle. There really is no reason for a long to be selling shares right now, there's no taking of recent profits that's needed. It's shorts vs. longs.

Notice, too, that when the stock reached its lowest price around noon today, we were in very low volume.

20150722TSLA.jpg

Last edited:
The more important thing to note, is that while other battery manufacturers are known to be adding 1-3% silicone, this update from Tesla makes it look like they have found a way to safely increase the % silicone before other manufacturers.

1st positive, silicone is known to be the right direction by all parties
2nd some/many/most manufacturers already include a tiny amount of it in production batteries already (i.e. it is safe already to an extent)
3rd Tesla is pushing the envelope and beating everyone to get the initial benefits sooner.

I know I'm being pedantic, but could people please make the distinction between Silicon, the element, which is used in computer chips and is being introduced to Tesla's batteries, and Silicone which is used in many things including toilets, breast implants and sex toys?

Longs win the day in a photo-finish
20150722TSLA2.jpg

Looks like the shorts made a gutsy move in the final seconds of the day, intended to make us look like we closed at 265.70 (a loss), but the NASDAQ recorded TSLA's closing price as 267.87, a $1.10 gain. Sometimes watching the TSLA price action is more fun than watching a horse race, and we've all wagered bets on this race.

Status
Not open for further replies.