Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this but the tiny state of Delaware passes a law allowing $2,200 state tax credit for EVs purchased between July 16, 2015 and Dec 31, 2016. Don't know how many Teslas have been sold here but we do have additional incentives now. ;)

Not sure where to post this but the tiny state of Delaware passes a law allowing $2,200 state tax credit for EVs purchased between July 16, 2015 and Dec 31, 2016. Don't know how many Teslas have been sold here but we do have additional incentives now. ;)

Delaware also approved a rebate up to $500 to assist with the purchase and installation of charging equipment for electric vehicles through a 120-volt AC plug (level 1), or a 240-volt AC or 208-volt electrical service (level 2).

http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p/clean-transportation-incentive-program-announced/1377219

Wide mass appeal requires a more affordable car, when we are within reach, it may well happen.

Affordable is a point of view. I know many who think a Kia is not affordable unless 5 years old used. Maybe your affordable is not mine. I think Tesla is affordable... You, evidently not.

Wide Mass thinks affordable is less than $30K. I hope Tesla never tries to compete with Toyota. BMW, Porsche, Mercedes do not, and they do quite well. Let Wide Mass buy cheap cars, pay for gas, high maintenance, buy another used car in a few years. Some people never learn.

Let Wide Mass buy cheap cars, pay for gas, high maintenance, buy another used car in a few years. Some people never learn.
I don't think this is what Elon wants. Now if someone else makes cheap electric cars first maybe Tesla won't come down into this space. But if not they will relentlessly pursue cheaper and cheaper cars until the ICE is dead.

Affordable is a point of view. I know many who think a Kia is not affordable unless 5 years old used. Maybe your affordable is not mine. I think Tesla is affordable... You, evidently not.

Wide Mass thinks affordable is less than $30K. I hope Tesla never tries to compete with Toyota. BMW, Porsche, Mercedes do not, and they do quite well. Let Wide Mass buy cheap cars, pay for gas, high maintenance, buy another used car in a few years. Some people never learn.

I hope tesla tries to compete with everyone. Including themselves. Why would you not want them to appeal to the masses? Exclusivity?

As for affordability it is a point of view. However if you take the world ave age financial viewpoint, where Tesla sits today is completely unaffordable. The only way humans have a chance is for extreme mass appeal and adoption of earth friendlier way of being.

Mercedes also sells one of the lowest TCO production cars in the United States as well, the smart car.

BMW has the Mini brand as well.

Whether you like it or not, Musk's goals are, primarily, environmentalism and improving the world for future generations. They're getting to mass market, they're just working in the most practical approach possible (top to bottom, no-compromise car).

Mercedes also sells one of the lowest TCO production cars in the United States as well, the smart car.

BMW has the Mini brand as well.

Whether you like it or not, Musk's goals are, primarily, environmentalism and improving the world for future generations. They're getting to mass market, they're just working in the most practical approach possible (top to bottom, no-compromise car).

I believe that this is an arguable point of view. There were several TM investors presentations, and all of them invariably had a slide showing that TM target market are premium cars, with main competitors being BMW, Mercedes, Audi.

I agree with you that Elon wants to facilitate transition to the sustainable transport, but I will argue that producing mass market cars might not be the most efficient way to achieve his goal. I think that the reason all investor presentations indicated that TM plan to focus on premium cars is because it will allow them to have a greater leverage in triggering this transition.

Licensing TM core technology - drivetrain and battery, while allowing mass manufacturers to "dress" this core platform any way they see fit will result in the greatest impact on the transition per each dollar of the capital available to TM. I think Elon wants to concentrate on the further development and refinement of the core technologies, using TM premium auto manufacturing as a lab for innovation, while enabling mass auto manufacturers to switch to EV without investing considerable resources on developing technology in which TM is a clear and unquestionable leader. This approach will also allow mass manufacturers to buy into the world-wide network of Tesla superchargers. All of this without assuming substantial risk which they are so averse to.

Elon wants to concentrate on the further development and refinement of the core technologies, using TM premium auto manufacturing as a lab for innovation, while enabling mass auto manufacturers to switch to EV without investing considerable resources on developing technology in which TM is a clear and unquestionable leader. This approach will also allow mass manufacturers to buy into the world-wide network of Tesla superchargers. All of this without assuming substantial risk which they are so averse to.

Elon may or may not want this but I am almost certain the legacy OEMs don't want this.

This reduces automakers to coachbuilders while Tesla controls them buy controlling powertrain and fueling.

A few automakers may do this for a limited time for limited volume.

But if they produce enough EVs to matter then they want to control key technologies and not want a key competitor to control the fueling.

The biggest risk is losing control of your own ICE/battery pack technologies. That is why most legacy automakers are partnering with LG not Tesla.

And LG and various legacy OEMs do question Tesla's leadership. They just say Tesla charges more for more battery but not technically difficult. Ford CEO says they took Model S apart put it back together and drove it again and that they could build a Model S too. Not saying that I agree with them just saying legacy automakers do not agree that Tesla has a technology moat.

(...) Not saying that I agree with them just saying legacy automakers do not agree that Tesla has a technology moat.
I've commented on this before. I'm also quite sure some of the europeer car makers (VW, BMW, Merc.) are fullt capable. What they lack is willingnes (and a large battery factory). I belive they consider the risk involved (by increasing the battery size in their existing EVs) is still to big conpared to the risk-free making/selling of ICE cars. These companies are run by the quarterly results and not by 'true' visions.

Last edited:

A $35k car has wide mass appeal, not a $100k , just like a $600 iPhone has wide mass appeal.

Earnings come out on 8-5, 12 days from now. Any investors care to comment on this 12 day window versus whether or not Tesla opens up the design studio for X reservation holders before then?

Seems like the design studio will give a lot of insight into what options and pricing will be for the X. That has the potential, if not certainty, to be able to cause a large stock price swing. As we get closer and closer to the often stated 3rd quarter X delivery target, the fact that the design studio is not open becomes the bigger and bigger elephant in the room. I would hope that it opens up before the conference call, but maybe Tesla will either open it up the day of the earnings release, or announce on 8-5 when the X reservation holders can configure their car. We have 12 days to figure it out.

Fool says design studio could open up any day:

Preorders for New Tesla Could Begin Any Day Now -- The Motley Fool

RT

Status
Not open for further replies.