Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first three months the MX is available to the public will most-likely be followed by great reviews, since most outside of the Tesla community aren't really aware of how great of a car it is. I'm optimistic Tesla will beat delivery guidance for Q3 and the 50K yearly guidance. There will be much more hype around the Model 3 reveal in March and Gigafactory opening in April as the time approaches. Also, a lot of good news that comes out about Tesla is unexpected and can't be predicted months in advance. I can see TSLA's stock much higher than today's levels after the Gigafactory opening, which will eliminate a ton of doubt. Of course, I'm not sure if you would consider this time horizon "short-term."

We'll know how the production rate is going the first week in October when Tesla reveals their Q3 results, but I see a greater likelihood of missing their annual target (<50,000) than exceeding it (>55,000). I am quite bullish about 2016Q1 and 2016Q2, but until then I see the uncertainty of production and cash flow being the dominant story of TSLA after Model X excitement wears off. Your mileage may vary.

Two words can explain what we saw today. Algos and manipulation. Why were 3 articles written about the supposed Apple car that probably won't exist. Less than 6 months ago the media was saying an Apple car might ship in 2019 according to some random person.

:confused: These analysts and journalists are pulling rumors out of a hat. This is worse than the magical Apple Television set that has been rumored to be on the way, every year for the past 6 years, yet still doesn't exist.

My person favorite was when analysts confused Amazon's suppliers for Apple's and thought Apple was working on an iPad HD.

Last edited:
Let's assume for a minute apple IS launching their car in 2019. Will it complete in Teslas space (i.e. Full and mid sized Luxury performance)? I highly doubt it... Other traditional ice manufacturers are more threatened. For example, every single Prius owner will want the apple car. Generally, I think apple will make a green car for people who hate cars in general.

bottom line, Apple entering the car space isn't necessarily bad for tesla.

Here's what I heard in May:

Some third-hand info about Apple's car, so take with a grain of salt: Not autonomous, designed to compete with BMW 1 series, and it will be marketed to Millennials (who don't care about owning cars--perhaps Apple is trying to change that).

My money is on Apple positioning themselves as a competitor to Nvidia, Mobileye, and Bosch in autonomous driving... not Tesla, Nissan, and GM in manufacturing cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would someone clarify with a disclaimer that they "come in peace" unless they are fully aware that they have an anti-Tesla agenda?

My thoughts exactly! I posted the same over there before reading your comment here. :)

If you read into a bit more, you'll note he said "I come in peace, but..." What's with the but?

Headlines from Benzinga this afternoon in my TD Ameritrade account:

1:48 pm ET - Global Equities' Trip Chowdhry on Tesla: Highlights Indian Prime Minister Modi to Visit Tesla Factory This Upcoming Weekend, Missing Link for Nation's Solar Power Initiative 'the lack of Storage Batteries'

1:49 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Notes Indian PM Modi 'expected to ask Tesla for help with Utility Grade and Commercial Grade Stationary Batteries'

1:49 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Believes Elon Musk May Have Changed Some Plans 'and will very likely be in town to meet PM Modi'

1:50 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Believes 'PM Modi may invite Tesla to initially open 4 to 5 Tesla Dealerships in India'

Headlines from Benzinga this afternoon in my TD Ameritrade account:

1:48 pm ET - Global Equities' Trip Chowdhry on Tesla: Highlights Indian Prime Minister Modi to Visit Tesla Factory This Upcoming Weekend, Missing Link for Nation's Solar Power Initiative 'the lack of Storage Batteries'

1:49 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Notes Indian PM Modi 'expected to ask Tesla for help with Utility Grade and Commercial Grade Stationary Batteries'

1:49 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Believes Elon Musk May Have Changed Some Plans 'and will very likely be in town to meet PM Modi'

1:50 pm ET - Global Equities' Chowdhry Believes 'PM Modi may invite Tesla to initially open 4 to 5 Tesla Dealerships in India'

Caveat: Trip Chowdhry.

My money is on Apple positioning themselves as a competitor to Nvidia, Mobileye, and Bosch in autonomous driving... not Tesla, Nissan, and GM in manufacturing cars.

Nvidia, Mobileye, Bosch all make components or sell to OEMs. Apple is completely different. They're all about owning the entire customer experience. If they go into cars, they're going to make a car, IMO.

I can see the appeal for Apple. They just need to get battery costs down (just like Tesla is doing) and they can make a pretty good electric car, I think. Apple will likely have to make a gigafactory (or partner with some companies to do so), but to Apple $5 billion in cash is like pocket change. So, I don't see battery costs an issue. The rest of the car is rather straightforward. They basically just need to copy the Model S and make it smaller and cheaper... basically what Tesla is trying to do with the Model 3. If Apple can make a good car at a good price, then I can see the appeal for certain buyers. Their car will be integrated with iOS and let you access all their services/apps/etc.

I need somebody to report about how Electric cars less than 2 years ago were supposed to go extinct because they didn't make any sense, they were vaporware. Now you have the biggest company in the world (depending on the day) decide they want to make EV's. Can somebody report on that? No, because people either hate or love Musk (and his companies).

Also, does anybody know what Tim Cook drives? Apparently a Porsche from Googling. I know Steve Jobs used to drive a SL55 AMG and that was his main car. Anyway, short term... enjoy capitalizing on this mini dip. Long termers this is a huge signal to buy in.

Gee, I never even knew Google sold Porsches. :tongue:
Would that be a diesel, by any chance? :wink:

Ok, still learning a lot here.
With the track record of WSJ articles about Tesla Motors and other car companies we all know how to interpret this article.
This is stock market manipulation at it's best, just like Volkswagen and Audi did exhaust-gate manipulation at their best.
There is a lot of money to be made on the short side in the stock market and there is a lot of money to be made on sales in the auto industry.
The astonishing thing is what weapons people are willing to uses to get to their aim: illegal ones!
These two issues remind everybody that even after lot of years this is still a bloody fight, and it will remain bloody during the years to come.
These two issues remind me how important this fight is and that it is a good fight.
Peace.

This reminds me of the artificially created double top by the last two big negative reports that were out exactly at the $280 level by Deutsche et al.
IMO this is pure SP manipulation at it's best!

This news is the shorts currently running out of ammo.
They did not plan with this exhaust-gate scandal.
As everybody is able to see the WSJ article news is already lacking dynamics, that was only a blip.
SP already bubbeling up again towards $270 and maybe $280 later this week.

Right now, during the dip, all in and now full steam ahead at least till Model X Founders Series first deliveries event next week!

Please be careful with your investments.

BTW the big news is still VW and Audi exhaust-gate and this will get worse this week, there is more to come!
German television news reported 9 minutes only about this one issue during prime time this evening, now everybody in Germany knows about this fraud!
And here is in deed first page of one of Germany's most read news paper (in good old fashioned analog way), watch out:
2015-09-21-VW-AbgasBetrug-Sueddeutsche-Original.jpg

Update:
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure ordered tests for all Volkswagen/Audi diesel engines in Germany!!!

Last edited:
That was quite the buying opportunity for 15 minutes or so. I hope everyone got shares or options!

Hi. Serious question. Can you please explain to a noob why this is a good opportunity now? I mean, less than a week ago on a Wednesday, it hit about the same price point. I get that the macro change today is the VW emissions gate and the Apple car rumor. But are those two events convincing enough to make that price look like a bargain now? Would it not have been a bargain a week ago as well? Not trying to troll or anything, just want some perspective among you experienced traders. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.