Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a permit for installing a 240V outlet ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m located in SoCal.

My city requires a building permit for adding an electrical outlet, especially EVSE 240v.

All I’m getting down is having a 240v Nema 14-50 outlet out in garage

99% of electricians I called told me not to worry about it bc it’s not a big deal.

The lawyer in me is asking, if something were to go wrong, will insurance company deny any claims bc I didn’t get a permit?

Or advice?

Cities require permits precisely to help them and others place liability in case something happens. If you have an electrical fire that jumps to your neighbours' houses and the following investigation determines that you did electrical work without a permit, you're on the hook. Likewise, your own insurance might partially or fully deny your claim. The likelihood of something like this happening is obviously small, but if it happens it can be a financial disaster. Up to you to decide if saving a few hundred bucks is worth the risk.

BTW, contractors who refuse to pull a permit for you may do so because they are not properly licensed ...

Cities require permits precisely to help them and others place liability in case something happens. If you have an electrical fire that jumps to your neighbours' houses and the following investigation determines that you did electrical work without a permit, you're on the hook. Likewise, your own insurance might partially or fully deny your claim. The likelihood of something like this happening is obviously small, but if it happens it can be a financial disaster. Up to you to decide if saving a few hundred bucks is worth the risk.

BTW, contractors who refuse to pull a permit for you may do so because they are not properly licensed ...

....when you put it like that, it seems like saving a few hundred bucks on a permit is down right stupid

I hired a licensed electrician who had done other homes (like my buddies place). He did the routine of checking utility bill history and load balancing, asking about daily use of other 240V appliances etc. I skipped the city permit, not because of a few hundred $, but because utility line from street to my main breaker box would have needed to be torn-up and re-cabled for 100Amp to ensure that I could be cooking, washing, heating the overhead patio units, (charging my air-buds:D) ...... and charging MX ALL AT SAME TIME. If I charge @home it's @12:01AM

Reactions: Pkmmte
Yep, get a permit. Mine was $40.

Note that I don't think all municipalities let you do your own electrical work, or they may place a (probably reasonable) limit on what you can do yourself. Things like panel replacements and stove/EVchargers are IMHO considerably more error prone than replacing a bad outlet or putting in a dimmer switch.

[Edit:] yes, I'd never pull a permit to do an outlet or a dimmer switch, but the electrical inspector would like you to.

Here are the Oregon requirements:

So no requirement to pull a permit to replace a light switch or outlet or a light fixture.

You do need one for adding any circuits or new receptacles.

Generally adding a single circuit in most jurisdictions should be pretty inexpensive (but YMMV). I had to pay a bit more since I installed a generator transfer panel at the same time as my Wall Connector and 14-50.

I would do it as when you sell your house here now I think you have to attest that you did not do any un-permitted work and if there was a fire you want to CYA. EV's take a crap ton of power and the risks of a fire are real.

I have never run across a municipality that does not allow the homeowner to do their own work (but there may be some out there?) - generally your home is your castle (though you are required to still get permits!)
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.33.46 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and BrokerDon
I would do it as when you sell your house here now I think you have to attest that you did not do any un-permitted work and if there was a fire you want to CYA. EV's take a crap ton of power and the risks of a fire are real.

I have never run across a municipality that does not allow the homeowner to do their own work (but there may be some out there?)
Generally yes, but at least here in CA, if you do the work yourself and are not a licensed electrician, it is your responsibility to determine if an inspection is required for the particular project and to schedule it accordingly. Just pulling a permit is not enough to CYA.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I’m located in SoCal.

My city requires a building permit for adding an electrical outlet, especially EVSE 240v.

All I’m getting down is having a 240v Nema 14-50 outlet out in garage

99% of electricians I called told me not to worry about it bc it’s not a big deal.

The lawyer in me is asking, if something were to go wrong, will insurance company deny any claims bc I didn’t get a permit?

Or advice?
Different municipalities (citys/counties) require different permitting. It is your responsibility to check with your specific municipality for permitting requirements. This is also something that may change over the years, especially as rural counties become urban.

My installation was quite simple, 8' run from the outside breaker box to inside the garage. Had it done by a licensed electrician who has done Tesla power cord boxes before. I have a detracted two car garage. Did not get permit. It wasn't a complex operation. If yours is simple and the electricians are saying skip it. I would and did not get one. No worries.

Last edited:
Surely the correct answer is always "do it by the book", but I think some of the fears and concerns here are overblown.

I did my own 14-50 because it was dead simple and 3 feet away from my electrical panel. 2 years and 65,000 miles later, I have yet to burn the house down. I've checked my work twice now, inspecting once a year to verify torque on the lugs, inspect the wires, all that good stuff... I think that's good practice no matter who does the work or how much you pay for the permit.

Reactions: eprosenx
Every electrician that I contacted via Tesla's website insisted on a permit. I contacted two others who both said not to bother. I went with one of the two 'other' electricians and requested a permit. The electrician got the permit and scheduled the inspection, which cost me $300. I think that was $250 for the permit and $50 for the electrician's time to go get it.

Everything went fine, but the inspection never happened. I called the city of Atlanta to re-schedule the inspection as no one showed up on the scheduled date. I was told the inspection "already happened". So I have a copy of the permit, but the work was never inspected. I'm confident the work was done correctly, but I kind of feel like I didn't get enough for my $300. :)

I did get a $250 rebate from Georgia Power though.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and Graffi
You got a Bureaucrat to sign off on the permit document. His inspection may just be that he is experienced with this electrician and knows they do a correct install so they approve it without going out to look at it. You were only paying for him to sign off.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Every single electrician has told me to skip it lol

I find this rather odd

Same here. Every electrician here also said most everyone skips the permit. Although it was a choice for the owner. I think it has to do with any potential difficult city inspectors.

But OP is in Los Angeles, and if you are with SCE, you may want to get a permit. Because your 240 outlet could be free if it is under $500.
Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

Reactions: Jedi2155 and Tezla1
The two reasons they do that is to low ball the offer because they think you won't hire them if they follow the law, or because they aren't a licensed electrician and can't pull a permit for you.

Some of them also tell you to skip it because: 1) They don't do work that will stand up to inspection; 2) It's a pain to go get a permit (some cities make it difficult); 3) It might be more trouble and time to go get parts that will pass inspection (Example: Need Eaton circuit breakers to go in a Cutler-Hammer panel, even though other breakers like GE might fit).