Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a public charging network account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ChargePoint, Blink, and SemaConnect. I also have a Nissan LEAF "No Charge to Charge" card that I got with my LEAF which gives me access to Blink, EVGo, and Greenlots stations. It is typically free 30 minutes on CHAdeMO and free 1 hour on L2. As it turns out, the charging stations have no idea whether it is a LEAF or a Tesla plugged in :) Sadly my free 2 years will be expiring next month :(

So you carry the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with you during long distance travel ?
I keep mine in the cubby in the trunk at all time. There's 5 free CHAdeMO stations across the city that I use often. The MS has so much storage, it would seem crazy not to just keep it in the car. On a few different occasions, by having it, I was able to be more flexible with my plans.

Of course. That's the only time I carry it with me.

Mine lives in my frunk all the time. Saved me one day when I realized after I had left the house that I had a long day of local"ish" driving and a short amount of time to gain enough charge to make it home on time.

If you have one why wouldn't you carry it? it doesn't do anyone any good if it isn't in the car. I have one in my car, I've only attempted to use it once (unsuccessful). I also carry a few adapters and extension cords.
If you road trip a lot having multiple options available to charge is important.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I've never seen anyone here in the Bay Area with one of those snout nosed CHAdeMO thingies actually. On the other hand I haven't done long distance travel either - Bay Area to Tahoe with so many SCs doesn't count - so I haven't met that driver profile much. It seems it's owned by more people than I assumed.

I've never seen anyone here in the Bay Area with one of those snout nosed CHAdeMO thingies actually. On the other hand I haven't done long distance travel either - Bay Area to Tahoe with so many SCs doesn't count - so I haven't met that driver profile much. It seems it's owned by more people than I assumed.

I use mine a fair amount, there's lots of EVGO stations around the area that are convenient. They're limited to 30 minutes at a shot, but that's enough to add about 20kwh to the battery while I get a coffee or some groceries.

Since you mentioned Tahoe, there's a chademo charger at Incline village that I used last time I was there. It seemed like one of the better options for charging around there.

With Blink, ChargePoint, and EVgo networks all participating in ROEV, one should only need to get a card from one of those three to cover all 3. Has anybody tried that?

I also noticed SemaConnect is listed as an associate company, I would hope that means their network will soon (if not already) be covered by ROEV too.