Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I pull the trigger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned over 20 cars since I started driving. I don't know too many where I actually made money above-break even, when I sold them.

I've lost money on every car I've owned so far... mind you if I had more than one car at a time, might have been able to try private sale vs trade-in. The only car I'm not going to lose money on is my 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but that's only due to the TDI scandal and VW seemingly effectively paying me what I bought my car for (or more) after I sell it back to them and get compensated on top of that.

Reactions: ABCCBA
Prepping to close the deal in a week or so. Bringing it home for a spin tomorrow night.

One thing I noticed on the 2016 'refresh' was the rear cupholders have disappeared. I have two kids and I'm pretty certain I will get in trouble for not thinking about that. I was told by an OA at the store today that the Premium Package adds a rear center console.

Something like this: Tesla — Model S Integrated Center Console

True?

Prepping to close the deal in a week or so. Bringing it home for a spin tomorrow night.

One thing I noticed on the 2016 'refresh' was the rear cupholders have disappeared. I have two kids and I'm pretty certain I will get in trouble for not thinking about that. I was told by an OA at the store today that the Premium Package adds a rear center console.

Something like this: Tesla — Model S Integrated Center Console

True?
I believe that was only available with the 4-seater rear row executive seating feature which isn't available anymore. Unsure if it was or is offered any other way.

Probably a stupid question but is supercharging enabled on a 60?

upload_2016-7-8_21-15-1.png

$2500 is the additional cost of the Supercharger option for the 60, it is not "standard" at that battery size.

All new Tesla Model S already come with Supercharging enabled including the new 60; however, the older 60 didn't come with it automatically, which is why it's not listed on the accessories page. The new 60 is also technically a 75kWh battery software limited to 60.

Reactions: Austin Powers
Java, you are right. Sorry I left the impression that the 60 does not come with SC, know it does. I was addressing an interpretation of the pix in the post. (I'll be more careful in the future.)

No worries, technically the new S60 is really a 75kWh battery, so technically you were right... when there was an actual 60kWh battery size, supercharging wasn't enabled from the start. Just figured should be specific that all new S60s have supercharging enabled.

I'm not doing a trade-in, since I have a VW TDI and will be better compensated holding onto it until VW will buy it back.

I am likely moving forward with Liberty Mutual, as with better coverage (including new car replacement coverage) than my existing farmers will cost me $1958/year and no cost to pay it monthly vs all at once. It will cost me $2300/year w/ Farmers and that doesn't include gap insurance (basically what the new car replacement is), as my insurance agent with Farmers doesn't have a clue what I'm asking... And this is for full comprehensive insurance. I have comprehensive Farmers on my VW and it's effectively $1617/year. So not much more for the Tesla 60D with Liberty Mutual. I'll also be saving significantly money on better home owners coverage switching to Liberty Mutual too, basically will be the additional cost of auto insurance over what I pay now.

Nerd Wallet is also a quick way to get a simple insurance quote from. But until you have a VIN, hard to get accurate quotes from actual insurance companies directly.

I'm using State Farm, am in my early 40's, and have the following for my quote on my soon to be delivered (July 20th!!!!) MS 90D:

Liability - $250k/$500k
Uninsured Motorist - $250k/$500k
Comprehensive deductible with Glass is $500
Collision deductible is $1,000

Premium: $1,316 annually in two 6-month installments (they won't give me a single annual installment rate and I'm not sure why)

There is a lot of variation in the premiums depending on your driving record and that plays the most significant factor along with where you are located and if you have any multi-policy discounts for other vehicles and home owners.

As far as GAP Insurance is concerned, Alliant financing has a great deal if you get any size auto loan with them. They are giving GAP insurance for $399 as a one-time fee and in addition, their GAP Protection also provides "an Auto Deductible Reimbursement. In the event you have to file an insurance claim of any kind, on any automobile insured in your name, our GAP Protection will reimburse you up to $500, 2 times per year for 3 years." I haven't pulled the trigger on the policy but in covering other vehicles besides your, it pays for itself on that part of the policy alone. I'm trying to find anyone who has used this part of the GAP policy to see if it too good to be true.

I'm using State Farm, am in my early 40's, and have the following for my quote on my soon to be delivered (July 20th!!!!) MS 90D:

Liability - $250k/$500k
Uninsured Motorist - $250k/$500k
Comprehensive deductible with Glass is $500
Collision deductible is $1,000

Premium: $1,316 annually in two 6-month installments (they won't give me a single annual installment rate and I'm not sure why)

There is a lot of variation in the premiums depending on your driving record and that plays the most significant factor along with where you are located and if you have any multi-policy discounts for other vehicles and home owners.

As far as GAP Insurance is concerned, Alliant financing has a great deal if you get any size auto loan with them. They are giving GAP insurance for $399 as a one-time fee and in addition, their GAP Protection also provides "an Auto Deductible Reimbursement. In the event you have to file an insurance claim of any kind, on any automobile insured in your name, our GAP Protection will reimburse you up to $500, 2 times per year for 3 years." I haven't pulled the trigger on the policy but in covering other vehicles besides your, it pays for itself on that part of the policy alone. I'm trying to find anyone who has used this part of the GAP policy to see if it too good to be true.

Thanks Jaribbs for the Alliant tip. Will definitely ask them about it. That premium is not bad at all ($650/6 months). Do you have any other cars on the policy?

I'm with Geico and the estimate said it would go up by $600 for 6 months, so there goes the gas savings :) SO it would effectively be $1000 for a Prius and a 60 for 6 months.

So I brought home a 90D for a 24hr test drive (loving it BTW!). It turns out I will need the Smart Air Suspension. Both the front and back hit the curb as well as the entry into the garage pretty hard (on standard setting). Once I set it to 'High', it worked beautifully. I love the fact that it auto-adjusts when I approach my home.

The additional $2500 is making me reconsider AutoPilot now. Following is my reasoning

1. Steep driveway. Summon won't work.
2. Live in Texas, so parking is aplenty. Not sure how frequently would Auto-Park be used.
3. I have a rather decent commute with hardly any traffic. So I'm not sure how much TACC or AutoSteer would help either.

Thoughts?

Thanks Jaribbs for the Alliant tip. Will definitely ask them about it. That premium is not bad at all ($650/6 months). Do you have any other cars on the policy?

We have a 2011 Honda Odyssey minivan and our home owners insurance through the same agent and pick up some discounts there.

I am paying $379 now for a 2007 Passat and will be $658 for Tesla…not so bad considering it’s worth 10 times more!

@Austin Powers Sounds like AP is not necessary for you and the savings is needed to get you into a Tesla. So, don't activate it now. If you want it later, simply call Tesla and they activate it remotely. Also, while a Pano Roof is neat, I have also found it is not a necessity. I actually like how the solid roof is a bit more quiet inside, too. Not adding a Pano will save you a bit, too.

So I brought home a 90D for a 24hr test drive (loving it BTW!). It turns out I will need the Smart Air Suspension. Both the front and back hit the curb as well as the entry into the garage pretty hard (on standard setting). Once I set it to 'High', it worked beautifully. I love the fact that it auto-adjusts when I approach my home.

The additional $2500 is making me reconsider AutoPilot now. Following is my reasoning

2. Live in Texas, so parking is aplenty. Not sure how frequently would Auto-Park be used.
3. I have a rather decent commute with hardly any traffic. So I'm not sure how much TACC or AutoSteer would help either.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D

Thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, the coil suspension is equivalent to the "high" setting with the air suspension. So if this is correct, you should be okay sans air.

Regarding AP, I suspect you will like/appreciate it more than you think, especially if you roadtrip to Dallas or Houston. Even if you don't take any road trips, AP is so useful on the highway and in bumper to bumper traffic and even at stop lights when you are behind someone so you don't have to constantly pay attention to start moving. You mentioned not encountering much traffic on a day to day basis, but I still think you can't fully appreciate how useful AP is on a 24-48 hour overnight test drive. I believe AP has literally added years to my life with regards to the reduced stress. You will use it much more than you think and will probably drive more than you ever have in the past. I am constantly finding reasons to drive my car, run errands for my wife, etc.

You really can't go wrong. The sooner you get into a Tesla, the sooner you can be driving the future, good luck!