Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I replace the tire ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit the curb on my model Y . Rim is dented but much worried about the crack on the sidewall of the tire . Should I replace the tire ?
80589F68-936A-4064-94ED-576511A11CEE.jpeg

I have a small flap on my sidewall near the rim. I took it to Tesla. They said it was just cosmetic, no threads or belts were visible. I think I’m going to replace it anyway. I understand that you have to replace both tires on the same axle, so it’s $600+, not $300 as some have said.

Upvote 0
I have a small flap on my sidewall near the rim. I took it to Tesla. They said it was just cosmetic, no threads or belts were visible. I think I’m going to replace it anyway. I understand that you have to replace both tires on the same axle, so it’s $600+, not $300 as some have said.
Photo would help. How many miles on your tires?
Details.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a tire shop looking to make money.
Especially on a new car, the other tire is basically new and there’s no sense in replacing both.

On a set of tires that have been well driven, it really depends on how much is left on the other tire. Traction can vary in inclement weather, but if you’re on a tight budget - it’s not required to replace both tires. Your car will still go down the road, and work just fine.

If you’re below the legal limit, the tire shop can refuse to work on your car, at least in MA I believe that’s the case.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0