Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping Delivery Dates for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent point. You should charge to the pretend 100% or 95% every time (according to the software that it) when in fact, the battery is not being fully charged. I had not thought of that.
That is not necessarily true. You don't know where the reserve is - if it all at the "lower" end of the discharge state (which makes a great deal of sense), charging your "fake" 70kwh battery to 100% all the time will be just as damaging as charging your "real" 70kwh to that SOC all the time.

That is not necessarily true. You don't know where the reserve is - if it all at the "lower" end of the discharge state (which makes a great deal of sense), charging your "fake" 70kwh battery to 100% all the time will be just as damaging as charging your "real" 70kwh to that SOC all the time.

I hope this theory is true, and the extra was at the end and the software tells you you are at 0% but really ther might be another 4-5% there but not registering. I'm sure the battery would just keep telling you zero and let you get another 19 miles or so home in a pinch. This would be more useful than the battery not charging all the way to its actuall 100% and never be able to be utilized. Either way, hopefully all the new refreshed versions are shipping with these larger batteries. I'm hoping for some extra voltage too to shave a few hundredths of a second off 0-60 times as a nice little bonus. We'll find out soon enough.

Imagine the software limit on the S75 is at the 'low' end of the battery. It would stop the car before it starts dipping into its software limited reserve. In this scenario you'd blame the software limit on the need to tow. And I can see Tesla feeling obliged to enable it over the air to say get a car off the shoulder of a highway to safety. Customer relations nightmare ensue.

If the software limit prevents you fully charging the car, then any range issue is purely a result of your planning. So better for customer relations.

Not convinced that its worth paying the extra $ to go from 70 to 75. In reality I would be lucky to drive long distance a few times a year and what difference would a few KMs make if the trip were planned carefully? Not into hyper-miling or flatbeds.

If there was a performance gain or better resale value this would sway me more toward purchasing the upgrade.

Reactions: bradjc
Im surprised tesla are increasing it. If they keep doing that, they will be back to an 85 again. I would have thought freezing the 70, but gradually decreasing the number of batteries to make the car lighter and therefore cheaper to build would make more sense, but with no decrease in range.

Im surprised tesla are increasing it. If they keep doing that, they will be back to an 85 again. I would have thought freezing the 70, but gradually decreasing the number of batteries to make the car lighter and therefore cheaper to build would make more sense, but with no decrease in range.
Maybe they are positioning the Model S as a premium vehicle compared to the Model 3. After all a Model S sale is as profitable as several Model 3 sales.

Mine is still in production. :( Maybe they build in groups, 90s first, 85s next, then the lowly 70s last. :(
Production batching is generally aimed at reducing change-over times, and maximising labour efficiency. Some possibilities ...
  • Painting all the cars of one colour together, to minimise colour paint swapping time.
  • Assembling all the RHD cars together to minimise the time spent reversing component flow on the line (also design rules changes for RHD countries such as Aust).
  • Batching the glass roof cars together due to the higher manning level required (wasteful to do all-metal cars during the high manning period).
  • etc
Wouldn't think there would be an assembly tooling change between battery pack sizes.

Maybe lowly single-coat cars like mine ;-) sneak in ahead of your prestige multi-coat finish!

"Production is due to commence next week, delivery still pegged for mid-to-late June.

James Tubb | Delivery Experience Lead
5/650 Church Street, Richmond VIC
(03) 9039 6000, Option 4 | [email protected]"

Slipping delivery dates . . . My Tesla says "late June-July" but see above . . . happy with today's news.;)
Looks like were on the same boat after all.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Here the new option:

75d.png

Yahoo, my car has been built and is in transit from factory. :)

Estimate range increase on Design centre notes is 20km extra range at time of charging.

mmmmm will think about the value of upgrading for a while. Don't plan to upgrade immediately and certainly not if have to pay LCT on top.

My thoughts exactly. And since this is an upgrade that can be had AFTER delivery, then maybe this can be purchased six months after delivery and just get GST and not LCT. Then its just a matter of getting the 75D badge.

Good news today: "Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from the factory" :)

I bought a previous car and the boys on that model forum had a ship tracker, giving a world map with ship location, plus links to CCTV at the docks, so you could track your car being loaded and unloaded. The shipping companies use the VIN as cargo ID so they figured out how to track it.
Are we doing things like that here?