Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping Delivery Dates for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything's possible with insurance companies I guess, but there's really no logical basis for it to affect premiums other than related to total vehicle value. The larger battery changes nothing but the size of the 'fuel tank' as far as insurance goes. It's not like 60->85 where there was a performance increase as well (which could also be the case here depending on battery configuration but no indication of that anywhere as yet).

I know insurance is a bit of a crapshoot at the best of times but would there be any difference between a 70D later upgraded to 75D compared to a "factory" 75D?

I doubt it. I just upgraded to Ludicrous and told the insurance company plus the cost and they just added it as a note on my policy - no premium increase... So I'm guessing if anything a factory 75D may cost slightly more than a 70 upgraded...

How long approximately from production to expected delivery for you do you think? I ordered last week of April and updated last week to "We are processing your order and will provide an estimated delivery date." Hoping it gets here by August (also Melb delivery) but seems like the facelift update pushed back dates a bit.

Hi bradjc
My theory is they manufacture RHD's in batches.
I believe Richard McN ordered early March and gets his car in 2 weeks making it a 15 week wait (hence the "acute Teslaritis").
Nova was ordered on 13 April and (docks in Melb 13 June) with delivery at 11.00am on 20 June (who's counting) making it a 9 week wait.
We've already seen the FaceLift in the Melbourne showroom - so those FL cars had a 7 week delivery (express service to showroom).
Tubbers posted he ordered late March and has been pushed back to end July due to parts shortage?

Sounds like you missed our batch, but also sounds like you're not far from production.
Richard's & mine were about 6 weeks from start of production to customer delivery (in Melbourne).
Each case is different, but hope this info helps.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Further to Novatec's post we also know that Tesla tries to produce most overseas orders at the beginning of a reporting quarter so there is time for the car to be shipped and delivered within the quarter it was made. Close to the end of the quarter they concentrate on US/Californian orders that can be delivered quickly and boost numbers for that quarter.
So anyone who missed out recently and are wondering when their car will enter production, most likely in early July, assuming no other batching or parts shortages apply.

Whoops, meant to write first week of April confirmed (6/4/16) so coming up 2 months and still is just a sheet of aluminium. Teslaritis well and truely settling in and left eye doesn't stop twitching! Previous estimate was July early August so on track for that I guess. Still another 2 months off though potentially. This is going to hurt for a while. :-/

Reactions: newtman
Whoops, meant to write first week of April confirmed (6/4/16) so coming up 2 months and still is just a sheet of aluminium. Teslaritis well and truely settling in and left eye doesn't stop twitching! Previous estimate was July early August so on track for that I guess. Still another 2 months off though potentially. This is going to hurt for a while. :-/

Sounds like our cars will be boat buddies. The last car I ordered built to spec was a VW Golf, let me tell you watching it come from Europe via boat was painful - 2 months is going to be a doddle in comparison ;)

Reactions: bradjc
From what I understand they switch production for part of the factory / line to RHD periodically to do batches. When I got mine I was informed there had been a technical glitch at the factory switchover to RHD so it was a few weeks later than forecast... but considering I had been waiting for 6 months, 2 weeks was not an issue for me.

Sounds like our cars will be boat buddies. The last car I ordered built to spec was a VW Golf, let me tell you watching it come from Europe via boat was painful - 2 months is going to be a doddle in comparison ;)

I noticed from your profile you're just up the road from me. I'm in Ballan so I'm sure you're like me in hoping Ballarat is in line for a supercharger soon. Cars shouldn't be far off production so let's hope for some calm seas and smooth sailing in the coming month or two. :D

I noticed from your profile you're just up the road from me. I'm in Ballan so I'm sure you're like me in hoping Ballarat is in line for a supercharger soon. Cars shouldn't be far off production so let's hope for some calm seas and smooth sailing in the coming month or two. :D

I've been doing some gentle prodding of local government and businesses to see what can be done :) I dobbed Sovereign Hill in via the destination charger suggestion page and I know Tesla has contacted them over it. Fingers crossed they consider superchargers instead, it'd be a nice location for them.

I also reached out to Acciona (who run the Waubra Wind Farm) and suggested they add EV charging to their information centre just near Waubra, they emailed me back saying they're going to look into it. Not an ideal location but I thought it'd be cool to be able to charge up in the middle of a wind farm and I know they are always looking for ways to pay back the local community.

And I also emailed Hepburn Wind in Daylesford to say they should put in some Tesla charging in Daylesford and they replied saying they were already in the process of doing it so I'd say Daylesford should have a charging point of some kind soon (it might end up being a J1772, but we'll see).