Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've disabled this for now.... my schedule has not been terribly consistent of late, and the car seems to pick some odd times to enable HVAC, as others have experienced...

Maybe I'll tray again in the future.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before in this thread (or elsewhere). Do you have to select "Work" and "Home" from the Nav screen in order for the learning process to know that you are going to and from Work? Or is the learning process simply related to the time you get in your car and leave home regardless of destination and the time you leave work regardless of the destination?
The feature specifically mentions Home and Work needing to he setup in the Nav and so many have presumed that it would just learn your commute and not trips to the store. But like Evan and others I have come into the garage to throw some laundry in at a random time and the car is sitting there w/ HVAC running so I've turned it off. We did get the patch update over the weekend but haven't re-enabled it.

New "vampire drain loss" thread in 3, 2, 1...

I've caught my car auto-climate activates at weird time and using data logging I could see it activates for 30min at a time while at home in the evening (once).

I can really see someone confuse this to a new "vampire drain" as depending on temperature it can use 1-2% each time if unplugged.

Smart preconditioning active

9979357765268b1ff32491e4883d8e56.jpg

Imagine my excitement when I went into my Tesla app on my iPhone to preheat my car only to see this screen above. Very fun! Will be super nice to not have to do this myself daily now. Only downside is that I don't plug in at work so I will prob lose a minimal % of SOC on really cold days. But that's okay a warm car is worth it ;)

I have also disabled the preconditioning. My schedule is solid like clockwork.. so to speak... While I've noted the car properly warmed when I go to leave, I've also been wondering just WHAT she's doing when all by herself.

The other day I arrived at work with 242 and came out about 9 hours later to a partially warmed 216. It was even that cold out that day! She's a little nuts with her preconditioning... I'll just do it the caveman way for now, poking buttons on the app like a monkey in a lab experiment.

1-IMG_2399.JPG

1-IMG_2402.JPG

Came out to my car nicely preheated before my regular Saturday morning work out. Weird thing though was it preheated to 71 and I've never once set the climate temp above 70 and it is almost always set to 68.

Before I turned it off, I found my car with temps in the 80s at times (in cold/cool winter weather) and rarely set the temp above 67. That was the final straw with the preconditioning coming on at weird times. Just make a manual option and this is a nice feature...assuming it doesn't overheat/overcool.

Smart preconditioning didn't work for me either--I turned it off too. Tesla, just let us manually schedule times and leave it at that. There's no way you're going to be able to accurately predict our driving schedules, and the wasted energy by trying to do so is...well...not eco-friendly at all. It's not a failure on your developer's part--it's just not physically possible.

Smart preconditioning didn't work for me either--I turned it off too. Tesla, just let us manually schedule times and leave it at that. There's no way you're going to be able to accurately predict our driving schedules, and the wasted energy by trying to do so is...well...not eco-friendly at all. It's not a failure on your developer's part--it's just not physically possible.

The thing is, they could easily add manual scheduling without doing away with the preconditioning as it stands now, and give everyone what they want.

They could have the preconditioning as it is working now populate a scheduling or calendar type screen that shows us when the car plans to preheat, and at what temperatures, etc. That screen would allow us to make changes to what the car intends to do. So we have full manual control, to override or completely turn off the car's ability to "learn" our schedules. But the people who like the way preconditioning is working never have to touch that screen, and things will keep working exactly as they are now. And for people who generally like it, but just want to have a little more control, or want to know ahead of time what is going to happen, this would make them happy too.

This is another example of Tesla seemingly doing the hard part of the software, and not doing the easy part. I mean whatever programming had to be done to try to figure out when to preheat based on when people have been driving, etc. has to be a whole lot harder than just taking that information that has already been figured out and popping it into a scheduler and also allowing people to make changes to that scheduler. The first requires actual computations and algorithms. The second is just a user interface and mapping stuff. So as I see it, Tesla did 90% of the work to give us 10% of the functionality, when if they did the remaining 10% of the work, we'd have the other 90% of the functionality (taking us up to 100% functionality.)

The thing is, they could easily add manual scheduling without doing away with the preconditioning as it stands now, and give everyone what they want.

They could have the preconditioning as it is working now populate a scheduling or calendar type screen that shows us when the car plans to preheat, and at what temperatures, etc. That screen would allow us to make changes to what the car intends to do. So we have full manual control, to override or completely turn off the car's ability to "learn" our schedules. But the people who like the way preconditioning is working never have to touch that screen, and things will keep working exactly as they are now. And for people who generally like it, but just want to have a little more control, or want to know ahead of time what is going to happen, this would make them happy too.

This is another example of Tesla seemingly doing the hard part of the software, and not doing the easy part. I mean whatever programming had to be done to try to figure out when to preheat based on when people have been driving, etc. has to be a whole lot harder than just taking that information that has already been figured out and popping it into a scheduler and also allowing people to make changes to that scheduler. The first requires actual computations and algorithms. The second is just a user interface and mapping stuff. So as I see it, Tesla did 90% of the work to give us 10% of the functionality, when if they did the remaining 10% of the work, we'd have the other 90% of the functionality (taking us up to 100% functionality.)

The way I see it Smart Preconditioning is far from provide good results, if they provide a schedule interface no one will use the smart preconditioning so they won't have field data and the system can't be perfected, I think currently the users are guinea pigs hence released as Beta, with the field information they can start to improve the system, the problem with that is that the current behavior is far from correct, my car used to turn on every single weekend, I ended disabling and I'll re enable again probably in 6 months, probably for that time they will have figure out how to make it more precise.

The way I see it Smart Preconditioning is far from provide good results, if they provide a schedule interface no one will use the smart preconditioning so they won't have field data and the system can't be perfected, I think currently the users are guinea pigs hence released as Beta, with the field information they can start to improve the system, the problem with that is that the current behavior is far from correct, my car used to turn on every single weekend, I ended disabling and I'll re enable again probably in 6 months, probably for that time they will have figure out how to make it more precise.

I think you completely misunderstood how I envisioned the scheduler.

It would initially populate with what the Tesla preconditioning predicted. We would then manually make changes to that, to get it to do exactly what we want it to do. Sure, some people could still choose to turn off the "guessing" that the preconditioning was doing, but I'm sure plenty of people would leave it on. And for anyone that did leave it on, the changes and corrections that people were entering could significantly speed up the ability for Tesla to correct the algorithms that help the software learn people's patterns.

I think you completely misunderstood how I envisioned the scheduler.

It would initially populate with what the Tesla preconditioning predicted. We would then manually make changes to that, to get it to do exactly what we want it to do. Sure, some people could still choose to turn off the "guessing" that the preconditioning was doing, but I'm sure plenty of people would leave it on. And for anyone that did leave it on, the changes and corrections that people were entering could significantly speed up the ability for Tesla to correct the algorithms that help the software learn people's patterns.

Apology, I get it now :), I did my response from all previous post than reading yours in detail, I think it would be a good idea to allow the driver to know what the preconditioning predicts and allow to overwrite it, so Tesla could even get better field data.

My car seems to only precondition for me when i'm leaving the gym at lunch time. Not in the AM or PM. Odd. I really wish they exposed more knobs or at least tell you what its thinking. So far the beta is a failure for me.

I found the same thing, even though I leave at the same time every morning.
It was also warming it as weird times, so I turned it off.
I may try it again in a month or so.

I have not found "smart" preconditioning to be useful, and certainly not smart. The only times it seems to precondition are odd times. e.g. late weekday nights and odd times on weekends. Today, it was "smart preconditioning" at 10pm on a Friday night (I have not driven at 10pm on a Friday, much less any day of the week, in a long time).
Hopefully they will improve it.

I have not found "smart" preconditioning to be useful, and certainly not smart. The only times it seems to precondition are odd times. e.g. late weekday nights and odd times on weekends. Today, it was "smart preconditioning" at 10pm on a Friday night (I have not driven at 10pm on a Friday, much less any day of the week, in a long time).
Hopefully they will improve it.

Or give us this:

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

How have people been liking the smart preconditioning? I haven't found it to work well at all. In fact, I can't recall it turning on at any desirable time recently (principally that would be around 5:30 or so for the commute home). Rather, the only times it turns on are times that make me scratch my head and say "why?".