Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon 2019.20.0.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if smart summon will work in parking garages with multiple floors

Let’s just say I’ve seen a version of this struggle to “see” that the car was on a different “level” than maybe what would be implied via a 2D map.

Your question is a good one. I cannot imagine it will work well in that environment if the owner is within range but on a different level.

NOPE NOPE NOPE

I will never do that!

Between almost hitting the parked car and running into the railing, I have seen enough. I am certain it will work marvelously for others here - but not me.

This is the incentive Tesla has for enforcing NDA. A video of a not released feature which many watching it will assume it is representative of how it will work when released.

(not saying that you specifically are amusing).

Let’s just say I’ve seen a version of this struggle to “see” that the car was on a different “level” than maybe what would be implied via a 2D map.

Your question is a good one. I cannot imagine it will work well in that environment if the owner is within range but on a different level.
Since you’re supposed to monitor the car while using summon this doesn’t seem like a real problem.
I expect quite a few people will make the mistake of parking, returning later, and then not inspecting around the vehicle before using summon. In a parking lot the environment will change between when you parked the car and when you return. I’m wondering how well the car will recognize objects that are very close and low to the side of the vehicle (outside the area that can be seen by the ultrasonics).

Latest data shows AP is currently 2x as safe as human drivers and that's only getting better.

I’m a big fan of AP and Tesla’s strategy for autonomy, but there is absolutely zero truth to this claim you made. Tesla doesn’t release the data necessary to make any causal claims about the safety of AP use versus not using it.

It isn’t even possible to generate that data with a causal link given the way it is rolled out. The best they could do would be to provide a statistical comparison between a manually created control group of otherwise similar drivers who don’t use AP, vs a test group who do use it. To achieve any meaningful statistical power they’d also need to provide ways to slice this data and scope the analysis.

The simplest thing they could do that gets closer to meaningful data would be to provide miles-traveled-per-accident data filtered to major highways, which could potentially provide evidence that AP use *might* improve safety of travel on said highways. But for now, we do not even have relatively simple data like that. The best we have is overall fleet stats about miles when AP is engaged versus not. All this tells us is that AP isn’t obviously and overtly detrimental to driving safety.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Tesla owners: "Elon said next week. Where is Enhanced Summon? We want it NOW!!"
Tesla releases Enhanced Summon to Early Access
Tesla owners: "Enhanced Summon sucks!!! Tesla better work on it some more before releasing! It's not ready!"
Tesla pulls Enhanced Summon and works on it some more
Tesla owners: "Where is Enhanced Summon? Tesla lied again. They said next week."
Tesla re-releases Enhanced Summon to Early Access again
Tesla owners: "Enhanced Summon STILL sucks!!! Tesla better work on it some more before releasing! It's not ready!"

Seriously, this Enhanced Summon is better than what we saw before. It is faster than before. it is just Early Access, not representative of the final product. Yes, Tesla has a ways to go before the car can drop us off at the front of a store and go park itself without any supervision. I am sure that will come eventually with AP3. But this Enhanced Summon is a first step, a beta, towards that eventual goal.

Tesla owners: "Elon said next week. Where is Enhanced Summon? We want it NOW!!"
Tesla releases Enhanced Summon to Early Access
Tesla owners: "Enhanced Summon sucks!!! Tesla better work on it some more before releasing! It's not ready!"
Tesla pulls Enhanced Summon and works on it some more
Tesla owners: "Where is Enhanced Summon? Tesla lied again. They said next week."
Tesla re-releases Enhanced Summon to Early Access again
Tesla owners: "Enhanced Summon STILL sucks!!! Tesla better work on it some more before releasing! It's not ready!"

Seriously, this Enhanced Summon is better than what we saw before. It is faster than before. it is just Early Access, not representative of the final product. Yes, Tesla has a ways to go before the car can drop us off at the front of a store and go park itself without any supervision. I am sure that will come eventually with AP3. But this Enhanced Summon is a first step, a beta, towards that eventual goal.

That actually made me chuckle out loud. It's true.

But what's also true is that TODAY, on the Tesla website, the FSD package says/advertises:
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

The "Really" really is there.

At a minimum, they should advertise this as "coming this year" rather than being offered now.

At a minimum, they should advertise this as "coming this year" rather than being offered now.

Yeah, they probably should have. Although I think at this point, it's too late. Tesla should just focus on finishing the feature. Imagine the hell that Tesla would get from owners if they suddenly changed the wording now. Might look something like. LOL.

800px-simpsons_angry_mob.png

Reactions: pdx3181
Again I am supportive of Tesla offering features early to the brave souls willing to try them....but Elon and Tesla's current positioning of this feature should contain the commentary that it's currently being evaluated with the fleet for feedback and improvement. Not that it's fully baked. Really. I think it's great to be testing it out, but it's sooooo far away from being primetime!

Found another good video with some pretty comprehensive tests. I guess it's safe to say that autopark smart summon isn't really a feature yet:

This video shows some good stuff but I’m skeptical that it’s the best it could do. At the end they talk about how summon wasn’t working and they did a reset on the car. After the reset it was working.

Did they calibrate the cameras before this test?

Found another good video with some pretty comprehensive tests. I guess it's safe to say that autopark smart summon isn't really a feature yet:
This is the most egregious violation of the Early Access Program NDA that I've seen, complete with shameless self-promotion. Finally pushed me over the edge. I've reported it, as it also violates YouTube's terms of service agreement.