Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Coming to Canada This Weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live in Toronto.
Damn, it works like a charm! The car is very responsive, moving fast.
Yes, there is room to improve, but it is a very, very good feature.
To activate the "Come to me" button, I think you need to activate summon standby from the car's menu.
I already tested around 10 times, including store entrances.
People in shock when they see there is no driver inside. Filming on their phones. They just can't believe what they see.

Ok, so this is totally useable. Just tried a typical use case. Parked near the movie and summoned the car to the front door. First pic shows the route the car took. At times it was going 8-9 km/h. Totally normal speed in parking lot. It did stop at one point between buildings and said 'pausing for intersection'. But it took a minute to get to me. The timestamps on the photos were 1:30 apart, but I didn't start/stop summon as soon as I took pics, so it seemed like less than 1 minute.

Way faster than walking to the car, which is to me the thing that makes it useable. Nevermind walking in the rain/snow. Very satisfied so far...

Oh, and this time it was 82 paces to get to the edge of the bubble. I must have been walking faster this time and taking slightly larger steps :)

Screenshot_20191011-094339.png

Screenshot_20191011-094510.png

Yes I know you don't need to, but if you want that button in the other location in the app with the radar view of what the car is seeing apparently you need to enable it. But otherwise yes you can do it the way you are now.
Ah ok...Lemme try enabling it ...

Edit: yep, you are right. Shows up on main page now

Screenshot_20191011-095651.png

Edit 2: this is what it looks like. It kind of looks like an atari 2600 drawn trajectory of where the car will go. Tbh I think I like it in map view more since in this screen the summon route shows up under where your thumb is holding the button. Maybe here is where tap to summon would be useful instead of hold....

Hmm...the screenshot didn't actually show the layer of graphics I was referring to above. Strange.

Screenshot_20191011-095923.png

Last edited:
I think it might. Help message says it disables itself at 20% like the other draining features. Time will tell if it's sentry mode level drain or keep cabin cool level.
It's probably like sentry at a minimum since it will use the cameras (and presumably more of them plus other sensors and processing so I'm guessing it will be more than sentry drain).

It doesn't seem worth leaving on to be honest. If the car takes an extra 10-15 seconds to wake up vs increased drain over hours of being parked I know which option I'm picking :)

Reactions: WolfHero and bijan
If the only benefit to turning on the standby setting in the car is that the car will wake quicker when summoning it, agreed- I wouldn't mind the extra 10 seconds to wake it up compared to the increased drain during the entire time parked. However, if somehow (and I admit I also have not been following smart summon much as it has rolled out in the US, other than to watch enviously at some videos because I never in a million years (Elon time) thought it would make it to Canada) it facilitates "come to me" or adds some additional viewing / mapping options on the app, then it could be "worth it".