Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a dilemma that I'd like some advice on: I went ahead and placed my order/got lease approved at end of August. Then, had to spend money I'd set aside for delivery cash on rental property repairs. I've got client invoices outstanding AND have a property just placed into escrow a week ago. So, in either case, I'll have the extra cash to go get my car...but only by 2nd week of October, aka AFTER the 3rd qtr push. So of course I've been told that If I don't take it by the end of the month, (or sooner, sits been at the SC for a couple weeks), I lose the car and have to start over again. I'm not pleased, as it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Does anyone close to OA's or greater think there's anything I could do to get them to hold it?

I'm well aware that they are hellbent on everything this quarter...but my rental property (and tenants) didn't seem to agree. :)

Any financing/incentives for 3rd quarter you would lose and my OA says they'll typically only hold it for 7 additional days from the original delivery date and then release it.

And if you're leasing it, you'll lose the 24 month program as well.

If it's a purchase, finance it through Alliant and pay it off when you get your first statement. Won't cost you more than a few bucks in interest for that month.

Any financing/incentives for 3rd quarter you would lose and my OA says they'll typically only hold it for 7 additional days from the original delivery date and then release it.

And if you're leasing it, you'll lose the 24 month program as well.

If it's a purchase, finance it through Alliant and pay it off when you get your first statement. Won't cost you more than a few bucks in interest for that month.
Oh, I was planning and got approved for a 3 year lease anyway, so I'm not worried about losing the lease. I wanted it that long anyway because of the business write-off.

The issue for me is there being any P90Ds left for a decent price.

I have a fully loaded 2016 P90D with Ludicrous with about 5k miles on it being shipped to the Tesla Service Center in San Diego, CA. I am looking to see if anyone wants to take delivery on the car. It a pre-refreshed model with a sticker price of $140,500 with a $31,400 discount. It's a mulit color red with black next gen seats... The 2 year lease payments come in at $820 a month with taxes on the tesla estimate with 10k miles a year, with $1500 for transportation fees. PM me if interested.

I'm very interested in leasing a P90D and went for a test drive for the first time today. Wow! I'm sold. The only sticking point for me is that in Texas, when leasing a car we need to pay 6.25% on the full sales price. So tax on a discounted $112,000 car is $7000. This is significant when the rest of the 24 month lease is $25-$30k.

Any suggestions or advice on how to mitigate the lease sales tax? I could get my mom who lives in Virginia to do the lease. This would reduce the tax payment from 6.25% ($7000) to 4.1% ($4600) for a savings of $2400. But I would then need to pu and return in Virginia which if I ship would pretty much negate any saving. I know some states only charge tax on the lease payments, but my understanding is that the leasee would need to have a residence in the state.

Any thoughts?

When I lived in Texas, I did a lease transfer to skip the sales tax (from NJ, not that it mattered).

You could have your mom lease the car (assuming she qualifies, if you pick a different state like NJ, no sales tax on electric) and then transfer it to you through Tesla... although that requires a bit more cash for the xfer and shipping.

Does VA charge tax on the lease payment or on the purchase price? If it's on the payment, then when you transfer to Texas, the payment drops by that sales tax amount...

Bit of a dilemma that I'd like some advice on: I went ahead and placed my order/got lease approved at end of August. Then, had to spend money I'd set aside for delivery cash on rental property repairs. I've got client invoices outstanding AND have a property just placed into escrow a week ago. So, in either case, I'll have the extra cash to go get my car...but only by 2nd week of October, aka AFTER the 3rd qtr push. So of course I've been told that If I don't take it by the end of the month, (or sooner, sits been at the SC for a couple weeks), I lose the car and have to start over again. I'm not pleased, as it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Does anyone close to OA's or greater think there's anything I could do to get them to hold it?

I'm well aware that they are hellbent on everything this quarter...but my rental property (and tenants) didn't seem to agree. :)

take a line of credit out...

Reactions: SD_Engnr
When I lived in Texas, I did a lease transfer to skip the sales tax (from NJ, not that it mattered).

You could have your mom lease the car (assuming she qualifies, if you pick a different state like NJ, no sales tax on electric) and then transfer it to you through Tesla... although that requires a bit more cash for the xfer and shipping.

Does VA charge tax on the lease payment or on the purchase price? If it's on the payment, then when you transfer to Texas, the payment drops by that sales tax amount...
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately for me, VA also charges tax on entire vehicle amount (although at a lower rate of 4.1%). It would save me a couple K. The 7k for Texas sales tax is a deal killer for me. Bummer.

Congrats to 134895. Was in the showroom working the numbers and it went out from under us. I am throwing in the towel on the lease search. Continuing to bank the payments so I can pull one in off a lease for ownership
GTIceman I got lucky yesterday. Who ever reserved 134895 let it go or changed his order and it came back up. I reserved it right away. Was going to go with a different car but when this popped up I had to grab it. It has all the options. P90DL Pearl White ,black interior and 21'' Grey Turbine Wheels. He gave me a killer deal.

Hi
Can you elaborate please? You put NJ resident name in lease (I just paid deposit, hope I can add NJ resident ) and have him assume lease.
Then do a lease transfer ?

I'm going to talk to my OA and Finance tomorrow re: the 24mo lease; because of the flood of cars earlier this week, I was able to swap the car I had reserved on Sunday for a different one yesterday that had more on it (sub zero and 21s in grey) and was cheaper than the one I had previously reserved. Both cars are back east; and both cars are going to take "two or three weeks" to transport and get ready. I've asked several times about ensuring that I would still be able to obtain the 24mo lease rates and have been told, unequivocally, "yes" by Tesla Finance.

It would be a deal breaker otherwise for me. Will keep you all posted once I heard back from Tesla Finance tomorrow.

-Eddie

I'm going to talk to my OA and Finance tomorrow re: the 24mo lease; because of the flood of cars earlier this week, I was able to swap the car I had reserved on Sunday for a different one yesterday that had more on it (sub zero and 21s in grey) and was cheaper than the one I had previously reserved. Both cars are back east; and both cars are going to take "two or three weeks" to transport and get ready. I've asked several times about ensuring that I would still be able to obtain the 24mo lease rates and have been told, unequivocally, "yes" by Tesla Finance.

It would be a deal breaker otherwise for me. Will keep you all posted once I heard back from Tesla Finance tomorrow.

-Eddie
My OA said yesterday it might be late to buy out of state car as there is not enough time for transportation and getting the car ready for delivery. Just FYI.

GTIceman I got lucky yesterday. Who ever reserved 134895 let it go or changed his order and it came back up. I reserved it right away. Was going to go with a different car but when this popped up I had to grab it. It has all the options. P90DL Pearl White ,black interior and 21'' Grey Turbine Wheels. He gave me a killer deal.

Lucky! My OA must not have seen it. I think I am going the purchase route now.

Just need to determine P85D or wait for P90D. There is a P85D available CPO on Tesla's site but I think the price is a bit crack pipe at $90k for 41k miles

I was also wondering if we would start to see some deals on the first run of Model X's as some are getting up there in miles

Is the only way to find out the current discount by keep calling in and asking what is out there and how much of a discount is being offered?

Keeping in touch with a responsive OA may yield you vehicles that have yet to hit the website. Otherwise, you can check the size of the discount by viewing the page source of a specific vehicle and searching for "discount".

• Informative
Reactions: hmmm