Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the forum and have yet to drive a Tesla, but I'm hooked after riding in one recently. I've also put down the $1,000 on a Model 3. Just did that in early December so delivery estimate (if that google doc is in the ballpark) is Nov. 2018. I'm considering getting a Model S to tide me over. Looks like there were some great deals the end of last quarter. Any chance those start popping up the end of this quarter? Also, is it best to just keep searching the inventory on Tesla's site, or work with a local guy from my store? Or use @SoCal Jimmy's guy, even though I don't live in CA (although I spend nearly every week in San Diego so maybe I actually do live here - in the SAN airport now watching it rain).

Thanks.

Rick

New to the forum and have yet to drive a Tesla, but I'm hooked after riding in one recently. I've also put down the $1,000 on a Model 3. Just did that in early December so delivery estimate (if that google doc is in the ballpark) is Nov. 2018. I'm considering getting a Model S to tide me over. Looks like there were some great deals the end of last quarter. Any chance those start popping up the end of this quarter? Also, is it best to just keep searching the inventory on Tesla's site, or work with a local guy from my store? Or use @SoCal Jimmy's guy, even though I don't live in CA (although I spend nearly every week in San Diego so maybe I actually do live here - in the SAN airport now watching it rain).

Thanks.

Rick

Just an FYI - I tried using one of the "my guy" recommendations from the forum who was from a different part of the country back in the end-of-Q3 rush - not SoCalJimmy's guy, but someone else on the east coast. He ended up costing me a car and almost causing me to not jump on a great deal at all because he *completely* mis-quoted my lease (his state did sales tax on leases differently than mine, and he had no idea). I ended up switching to a local OA and got what I wanted and an accurate estimate.

So I would strongly recommend that if you are looking seriously to just find someone in your local sales center that you like - there are plenty of great OAs out there that can get access to all the inventory, and I think the benefits of having someone local who is intimately familiar with your state / local particulars makes it more likely that everything will go smoothly and there won't be any surprises. Another thing to note is the OA's numbers are only an estimate and not binding as far as I understand it, so if they make a mistake based on not knowing your state sales tax, etc, then you may be stuck paying a different amount than you were expecting...

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and tmarcc
Just an FYI - I tried using one of the "my guy" recommendations from the forum who was from a different part of the country back in the end-of-Q3 rush - not SoCalJimmy's guy, but someone else on the east coast. He ended up costing me a car and almost causing me to not jump on a great deal at all because he *completely* mis-quoted my lease (his state did sales tax on leases differently than mine, and he had no idea). I ended up switching to a local OA and got what I wanted and an accurate estimate.

So I would strongly recommend that if you are looking seriously to just find someone in your local sales center that you like - there are plenty of great OAs out there that can get access to all the inventory, and I think the benefits of having someone local who is intimately familiar with your state / local particulars makes it more likely that everything will go smoothly and there won't be any surprises. Another thing to note is the OA's numbers are only an estimate and not binding as far as I understand it, so if they make a mistake based on not knowing your state sales tax, etc, then you may be stuck paying a different amount than you were expecting...
Thanks, that's good advice. I ended up going to the Tesla Store in Denver yesterday and talked with a guy that seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful. He's got me setup for a test-drive on Tuesday. He suggested I start there, then figure out what options I really want, then we could look for Inventory cars that meet my needs. Looking forward to finally driving one of these.

Yeah, I just completed the lease extension documents for the showroom P90DL I leased back in Sept 2016 thanks to this thread. Extending the lease 6 months is better than nothing! 'm really going to miss the car.

Lol

Yeah, quite a few of you are going to have a sad Q3. A few of my friends decided against extending since they’d have to pay another $800 in registration fees.

I got two of them into 100D’s last quarter but this quarter, Tesla bumped the lease rate up even more and it royally sucks for any lease. They really want to just sell cars this quarter and get paid for them immediately.

Good luck to all on your searches for a new car

Yeah, I just completed the lease extension documents for the showroom P90DL I leased back in Sept 2016 thanks to this thread. Extending the lease 6 months is better than nothing! 'm really going to miss the car.

Hmm. I was thinking of doing that too, except now that the tax credit is going to expire at the end of this year, it's probably a better deal to buy something in Sept and get the credit.

This thread brings back memories! I got one of the few (only?) P90DL Xs that had the 2016Q3 heavily discounted lease terms ... and now I’m hoping my lease end lines up nicely with my P3D that’s on order to replace it ....

Hoping that they put a bunch of these cars in service as much needed loaner cars in the SCs!

BTW, how did people do on lease miles? I’m only about ... 30k over ... knew I’d be well over going in, but the car is just too fun to drive!

This thread brings back memories! I got one of the few (only?) P90DL Xs that had the 2016Q3 heavily discounted lease terms ... and now I’m hoping my lease end lines up nicely with my P3D that’s on order to replace it ....

Hoping that they put a bunch of these cars in service as much needed loaner cars in the SCs!

BTW, how did people do on lease miles? I’m only about ... 30k over ... knew I’d be well over going in, but the car is just too fun to drive!

I'm 1500 miles over with 2 months to go.

Has anyone tried to buy back their own car once it goes up on Tesla's site as CPO? I definitely won't buy my car for the $94k buyout price, but I think Tesla will immediately list it for CPO at about $80k. Maybe even $73k, based on this one:
Inventory Search | Tesla

I'm 1500 miles over with 2 months to go.

Has anyone tried to buy back their own car once it goes up on Tesla's site as CPO? I definitely won't buy my car for the $94k buyout price, but I think Tesla will immediately list it for CPO at about $80k. Maybe even $73k, based on this one:
Inventory Search | Tesla

Hah I'm about exactly where you are. about 1500 over with 2 months to go. But I also have a P3 on order so hopefully delivery coincides with my lease expiration. (I only had a 90D, but I loved it) Did some quick KBB searches, and not too hopeful of a carmax lease buyout to avoid overage charges.

Last edited:
I’m not over yet only because mine was in the shop for ~3-4 months due to this :mad:
5A3D15BF-2E84-43F0-9EDA-BCCC672A0AF9.jpeg