Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow-cover for charging at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jpaikin

Hi

I’ve searched but not found an answer...

Does anyone have a good idea for covering the charge-plug and port when charging at home in winter?

If it snows I suspect that snow will accumulate in/around the charge-port - and perhaps staying there when the port closes.

I seem to remember seeing some sort of plastic or cloth that could be mounted on the charge-cable, but cannot find it now.

Thank you in advance

Jakob

Hi

Does anyone have a good idea for covering the charge-plug and port when charging at home in winter?

If it snows I suspect that snow will accumulate in/around the charge-port - and perhaps staying there when the port closes.

I seem to remember seeing some sort of plastic or cloth that could be mounted on the charge-cable, but cannot find it now.

Thank you in advance

Jakob

Snow should not be a problem for the charger. The car can charge just fine in rain, and water is a liquid that can seep through cracks and is usually conductive. Snow is significantly less conductive, and all it can do is rest on surfaces.

The model 3 has a charging door which should shelter the cable a little (as if that were needed), but this biggest danger with any "roof" is with accumulation of snow creating weight. Just make sure to clear the snow once a day at least.

Don't be afraid to clear it with your hands, especially with a glove (to keep from freezing your hands and melting the snow, not b/c of electricity).

Just ordered a Yet E Boot. I may have more money than sense (don't read into that - I don't have much of either) but I don't like the snow building on top of the charging door & around the port.

It's snowing currently and we're only maybe 1/3 through this thing. Just not crazy about seeing that much snow around the charging port. Not worried about getting zapped but it's going to make a packed-in mess once I pull the charging wand out.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.00.53 PM.png

In my first year of having my 3, I put an old folded up towel over the charge port door and against the quarter panel whenever rain was in the forecast, and snow too. Then I got tired of it and let it charge in the rain, uncovered. No problems so far.

I drove a Chevy Volt through three winters, parked outside. I charged in both rain and snow with no problems; however, I preferred unplugging in such inclement weather, in an overabundance of caution. I've now upgraded to a Tesla Model 3, and I do the same -- bad weather will sometimes creep up on me and I'll charge in it, but I prefer to simply unplug when rain or snow approaches. My Tesla is an LR RWD, so it has a theoretical maximum range of 325 miles. As such, it's unlikely that I'll be bothered by lack of range if I don't charge for a couple of days because of snow.

Hi

Thank you in advance

Jakob
macapuche.com =)