Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DC/Northern Virginia area just got hit by a snow storm and I-95 got shut down.
One of my friends spent 20 hours in his car stuck in the interstate.
I wonder any Tesla owners got stuck in the I-95 and how long their battery lasted.
My friend had enough gas after 20 hours of engine running with heater and phone charger on and still had enough gas after 20 hours.
Will Tesla cars survive that long?
Opinion: Imagine Virginia’s icy traffic catastrophe — but with only electric vehicles

I hate to give any additional air to this OpEd as WaPo (which I normally like) is dismal when it comes to general EV coverage and worse if it relates to TSLA or Musk.

Maybe the real moral of the story is that when the weather gets bad, things can go wrong, so plan accordingly. I love the idea of trying to only use the seat heaters in such a situation. As stated, I imagine 20kW could run them for quite a while.

Reactions: robussc and scsmx
Believe this is a made up issue. Over the years lots of people have frozen to death in their gas cars getting caught in freezing weather. Never saw a report of this ever happening in a Tesla. EVs are very efficient. If you are stuck in cold weather, simply turn on your heated seats or steering wheel and be toasty as you want. Battery will keep you warm for days.

Fake news.
You realize a lot of people on I95 are on road trips, right? Like many are probably in the 20s (or maybe even less) battery percentage-wise as they approach their next SC?

Maybe we’ll see F150 lightning owners make a few extra bucks acting as recovery vehicles. Not sure the amps on the 240v, but it may be able to do 7.2kW. The Rivian might also be able to do it after some OTA updates down the road…
That's one area that I'm disappointed in Tesla; using the car to deliver power. It would be really handy to be able to lend another BEV owner some juice to make it to a charger. I think it's really neat that the F150 Lightning can do V2G and it might be a selling point with some consumers. Maybe the Cybertruck will have V2G or V2V charging.

You realize a lot of people on I95 are on road trips, right? Like many are probably in the 20s (or maybe even less) battery percentage-wise as they approach their next SC?
No, that's not what a lot of people on I-95 are doing during the middle of the week. I'd bet over 99% of the cars on the road there were commuters. And to be honest I have remarkably little sympathy for anyone going on a road trip when NWS and all local weather folks are predicting 10-12 inches of snow. I barely can summon sympathy for the commuters.

No, that's not what a lot of people on I-95 are doing during the middle of the week. I'd bet over 99% of the cars on the road there were commuters. And to be honest I have remarkably little sympathy for anyone going on a road trip when NWS and all local weather folks are predicting 10-12 inches of snow. I barely can summon sympathy for the commuters.
I heard reports of people being stuck for 10 to 20 hours...but one person mentioned being just 3 miles from an exit. If properly prepared with the right clothing and footwear (and snowshoes, if necessary), I could easily hike the 3 miles in less than an hour. I also saw some people were "stuck" but able to have Uber Eats delivered. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Glen959
Great response. As a comparison, my 3100+ sq ft house used 35 kWh yesterday. That includes power for drying clothes and baking. We have gas heat but heat is circulated by the HVAC fans.
I mean gas heat makes a HUGE difference. Heat pumps don't work in freezing temperatures so resistive heating is used. in my house, my electric heater has a 15kW resistive heater for when the heat pump can't operate (it turns on below 40deg IIRC). My electric bill is easily 50% more when it's freezing outside.

Also, your house is well insulated. I'm not saying a Tesla can't handle it, I'm just saying it's not as trivial as you may think

Opinion: Imagine Virginia’s icy traffic catastrophe — but with only electric vehicles

I hate to give any additional air to this OpEd as WaPo (which I normally like) is dismal when it comes to general EV coverage and worse if it relates to TSLA or Musk.

Maybe the real moral of the story is that when the weather gets bad, things can go wrong, so plan accordingly. I love the idea of trying to only use the seat heaters in such a situation. As stated, I imagine 20kW could run them for quite a while.

Right: turn down cabin temperature, and up the seat heaters. Temperatures only "dipped into the teens", so moderate heating wouldn't be too bad,
Also, heat pumps help to reduce the amount needed. (My Kona doesn't have one, as they decided not to include it in the USA...)

The article isn't a surprise from the writer, Lame(?).
The future reality would be very different. Higher charger density and capacity, and a different response from authorities if it were a bigger issue anyway.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I'm really curious about this, since there is now a huge contingent of people who hate EVs commenting on what a catastrophe it would be if there were more of them in this disaster.
By law of averages, there HAD to be a couple Teslas in that traffic jam.
It would be really great to hear from them and hear how they fared.

A classic case of concern trolling. No effort to find out the real situation, just a flight of fancy about how dire it would be to be caught in an electric car in a snow storm. They attempted to head us off with a note about Norway but then said they all still drive ICE there anyway so…

What an absolute disgrace. Yes, let’s keep driving ICE vehicles so we get trapped in awful weather forever!

A lot doesn’t have to mean a high percentage. Whatever the actual percentage is, the absolute numbers are not trivial. It can take just 3 or 4 disabled vehicles to shut down a highway.
Right: turn down cabin temperature, and up the seat heaters. Temperatures only "dipped into the teens", so moderate heating wouldn't be too bad,
Also, heat pumps help to reduce the amount needed. (My Kona doesn't have one, as they decided not to include it in the USA...)

The article isn't a surprise from the writer, Lame(?).
The future reality would be very different. Higher charger density and capacity, and a different response from authorities if it were a bigger issue anyway.
How would the response from authorities have been different in the future reality?

I mean gas heat makes a HUGE difference. Heat pumps don't work in freezing temperatures so resistive heating is used. in my house, my electric heater has a 15kW resistive heater for when the heat pump can't operate (it turns on below 40deg IIRC). My electric bill is easily 50% more when it's freezing outside.

Also, your house is well insulated. I'm not saying a Tesla can't handle it, I'm just saying it's not as trivial as you may think
Agree about heat pumps. When I lived in Virginia we had one and I hated it. I had to set to emergency (resistive) heat to get any warm air. That was in the 80s and I understand they are much better now and you can do things like underground coils. But, I will stick to gas.

Bosch 2.0 inverter heat pump is efficient down to -5 degrees. The tech has come a long way. I just had one installed on a 1550 sqft home. Kept the home at 72 degrees in 10~15 degree weather. I've got a propane furnace alternate I can swap between.

While the heatpump can maintain a temp efficiently, it does struggle to go from very lower temps to warmer temps efficiently (hence the backup LP)

That seem extremely implausible on I-95 proper. The highway was closed and if you managed to enter you couldn't exit. Perhaps the delivery was by ski.
There are plenty of roads that pass under/over I-95. I saw video that showed cars driving on a road close to I-95 and a driver got out and walked over to I-95 to deliver food.

What an absolute disgrace. Yes, let’s keep driving ICE vehicles so we get trapped in awful weather forever!
While simplified and slanted to support the thesis there are valid points. The most important being that gasoline or diesel powered vehicles can be trivially refueled while stuck like this. This happens on occasion in my neighborhood where people are somewhat used to unexpected storms. Of course there are a *lot* of snowmobiles in my part of New York and it's considered a civic good to provide aid to stuck motorists before the National Guard is deployed.