Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly how I feel. I can’t believe anybody will think it [no stalks] is better, at best you might be able to argue it’s “as good as” but it’s an argument that could have been avoided by fitting stalks .

Tesla has reversed course before (Yoke). Enough people complain, they can bring stalks.

Right but again I think the number of people that will join a forum or Facebook group about the car they just brought is a very tiny percentage. I think Tesla gets away with this because they can and it doesn't impact sales.

Where it probably does is things like the Yoke where Musk said that's all you'll get but now the Model S / X can be had with a wheel. The 3 isn't getting a Yoke so I think that's pretty clear they are walking that back. If removing the stalks doesn't materially impact sales, they won't be coming back. If they get too much push back and sales drop because of it, they'll walk this back sooner or later.

"New new Model 3, now with stalks!"

Also don't forget other cars have areas where they just aren't as good as Tesla. It's always a compromise, no one car does everything really well generally. I'd still say until they fully open up the Supercharger network, that's still a massive draw.

Check this video out, still shows Tesla have a big advantage here:

I would hope the Tesla does have a decent advantage given the price difference..

But I'll take your general point :)

No it wouldn't. It's a worse car than what you could get back in 2021. Stalks, parking sensors, lumbar support, the entire rear bench having heated seats.

Some rear double glazing, vented seats that are of no use in the UK and a tiny screen in the back that no one will use is not an improvement.

You're wrong, IN MY OPINION
Look I did it again

I mean if you watch the video the MG doesn’t get its stated range, is more inefficient and thanks to not being able to use Tesla superchargers cost twice as much to do the journey.

The Tesla is worth the extra if you ask me.
The guy in the MG also makes a pig's ear of the whole journey.

Using Waze and being risky with his charging is what made his life difficult. Had he stopped at Exeter as the guy in the Tesla did he might not of had such a problem

Lots of talk in here !
Anyone actually ordered and if so what model/colour etc ? And what are you replacing ?

Me - 2019 SR+ white with 75k miles (might fetch £20k?)

Ordered 2024 Highland RWD white (white again-boring you say!) with 18 inch wheels for a bargain £39,990

Reactions: spdpsba
The guy in the MG also makes a pig's ear of the whole journey.

Using Waze and being risky with his charging is what made his life difficult. Had he stopped at Exeter as the guy in the Tesla did he might not of had such a problem
Maybe though originally he should have made it but the range dropped too quickly. I have to hand it to Tesla, their estimate of battery available on arrival is uncanny in how accurate it is as long as you drive sensible.

Reactions: Simonsquiff
Pretty sure when Bjorn tested the MG the battery % gage was not linear. In that the first half lasts a fair bit longer than the second half.
Needs better calibration then for what it shows. I mean I’ve had ICE in the past that when they get low seem to drop quicker but really you want something linear so you can depend on what it’s telling you.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Lots of talk in here !
Anyone actually ordered and if so what model/colour etc ? And what are you replacing ?

Me - 2019 SR+ white with 75k miles (might fetch £20k?)

Ordered 2024 Highland RWD white (white again-boring you say!) with 18 inch wheels for a bargain £39,990
Thinking whether should go for the LR this time given the 400+miles. I am sure all these unhappy forum members will get their BMW iX and block two spaces just to vent their anger! Knowing that car will give only 200+ for the 110kw or something like that battery you don’t want to see them in all the SCs blocking the chargers. So helpful if we get the bigger battery and serenely drive towards our destination either here or in Europe! I can reach Cornwall without stopping for a charge and most of all I can drive to Troyes from here without stopping for a charge in between - when these unhappy punters are fiddling with their apps to charge from a Tesla SC - wow! How’s that for a real EV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doudeau
I don't, I'm just honest. Don't be upset because it doesn't match your rose tinted view of Tesla.

And believe me, if I really hated Tesla, I wouldn't own two of their cars.

You really do - you are CONSTANTLY making negative points about Tesla and their vehicles. Constantly. Anybody can see your post history - who are you kidding? Perhaps you've just normalised it so much as you're an overly negative person. You only ever highlight the negatives and are keen to dismiss any positive views (even for a product you have no experience with - the Model 3 Highland) with your whataboutism.

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic... Here's a nice video review of the Model 3 Highland from Motor Trend:

What I would say to balance out the largely positive tone, is that it is a US review and the lack of stalks was only covered briefly. The word "roundabout" was mentioned zero times I believe. This is obviously a key talking point and bone of contention here in the UK. However; some of the positive aspects are highlighted in this review.

How does blind loyalty to ANY brand help anyone, least of all oneself?

I’ve got a Tesla but I’m not blind to its shortcomings, and I’m not going to pretend they aren’t really issues to appease some fanboys or investors who can only deal with reading uncritical positivity.

For me people who want to pretend that Tesla can do no wrong are worse than those who are pointing out flaws. At least the latter group still cares about the brand (otherwise - as suggested - they’d just go somewhere else) and wants it to be better than it is, whereas the former are just happy to live under a delusion.