Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So frustrating! Or am I being entitled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Just went to my local Tesco to get some shopping, as per normal I headed for the chargers because, hey its free and if I walk out of there with an extra 5-10% charge then the trip has basically cost me nothing.

But, as per bloody usual, I couldn't get on them.

4 chargers, only 1 car that could even have plugged in - but wasn't.

I waited about 10 minutes because i'm stubborn and eventually a young couple strolled out and got in their orange fiesta and casually mooched off so I dived in the spot.

When I left, the Tesla and the car to the right had both left, and been replaced with another 2 vehicles, both ICE.

I mean, these spaces are not even that close to the doors! What the hell. Its so annoying...

/rant

Attachments

• 20210604_150836.jpg
    20210604_150836.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 84
Not being entitled atall, it’s bloody annoying , infact I carry around a hammer in my glove box just Incase I spot an ICE car at a charge point 😜

jokes aside, it is really annoying and happens often at my local shell garage as well, until these things are actually enforced unfortunately I don’t think people will stop doing it, similar with broken charge points that I see around, the charge points should be treated as a necessity like fuel pumps are and non EVs swiftly moved on/ broken points repaired quickly -until more businesses see it this way we won’t build up the infrastructure or convert more people to EVs

Free chargers are the devils work.. Some chargers near me were free, spots were always taken, they introduced a £1.50 connection charge and suddenly nobody was interested in them except those that needed them. Public chargers are for those that need them, I can understand getting annoyed at them being ICE'd, but its really not much worse than needing one and finding someone using it to freeload.

Free chargers are the devils work.. Some chargers near me were free, spots were always taken, they introduced a £1.50 connection charge and suddenly nobody was interested in them except those that needed them. Public chargers are for those that need them, I can understand getting annoyed at them being ICE'd, but its really not much worse than needing one and finding someone using it to freeload.
There is a HUGE lack of courtesy from ice, phev and Bev drivers. One company here in the states lets the property owner set the price which is sometimes free for a time and then goes to idle fees. When idle fees are high enough, most of the freeloaders move. As for icers or unplugged cars, if there were a few tows that would stop IMHO

Reactions: pow216
Just went to my local Tesco to get some shopping, as per normal I headed for the chargers because, hey its free and if I walk out of there with an extra 5-10% charge then the trip has basically cost me nothing.

But, as per bloody usual, I couldn't get on them.

4 chargers, only 1 car that could even have plugged in - but wasn't.

I waited about 10 minutes because i'm stubborn and eventually a young couple strolled out and got in their orange fiesta and casually mooched off so I dived in the spot.

When I left, the Tesla and the car to the right had both left, and been replaced with another 2 vehicles, both ICE.

I mean, these spaces are not even that close to the doors! What the hell. Its so annoying...

/rant

I'm with you 100%. There's a special place in hell for these people. ;)

There is a HUGE lack of courtesy from ice, phev and Bev drivers. One company here in the states lets the property owner set the price which is sometimes free for a time and then goes to idle fees. When idle fees are high enough, most of the freeloaders move. As for icers or unplugged cars, if there were a few tows that would stop IMHO
I would never do it but in darker moments have thought about raising awareness by getting a bunch of EVs to hog all the pumps at a petrol station and then go off shopping...

I complained about this to the local Tesco Manager, was told to take it up with the parking management company. They referred me to her & nothing has changed.

The solution is to shop soon after they open at 7am, it's only 2 miles away & the four Pod Points have never been ICEd or blocked by other EVs....so far.

We live in a funny slither of time where not all transportation is electric and cars don't yet drive themselves.

Soon those 4 spots will be full with EVs and you wont be able to get a space anyway. And a couple of decades from now you won't even need the carpark.

The perspective I try to have is that I don't need it with a Tesla, even if it's free. All the enforcement established today will still be around when it's not relevant tomorrow....

Reactions: Doudeau
It's a very emotive topic. BEV owners upset at ICE and PHEV drivers is typical, while thinking nothing about charging beyond what they need and blocking another BEV owner, whether paid or free. It's not that much different to people parking in parent and baby spots when they have no need or disabled bays. People even get upset posting picture with plenty of free bays around them just like 1 ipace trying to charge on a supercharger gets lambasted even if there are 7 free superchargers, so even if there were unused charging bays, people would still complain.

Best to just let the feelings go because they're based on your right and wrong but to a different standard (such as only charging if needed) you could be upsetting someone else. Rhetorical question, but given a choice, is it better for a PHEV to use the charger which enables them to complete their round trip on electricity or a BEV which doesn't need the charge but just want to because the parking bay is larger and nearer the store?

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
..and one tends not to make allowances for folk in disabled bays that don't qualify but have some mobility issues and there were plenty of free bays. Or folk who have a bunch of shrieking kids and just didn't read the sign. Or folk who have problems reversing, parked in a SuC bay before realising they couldn't use it but just went to the loo anyway. Not everything is black and white.
Yes I have free SuC'ing, Yes I'd top up if time permits but yes I’d let anyone queuing have my spot if that situation occurred and i had enough juice.

Got to say I’d have gone into the store and asked that the store put an announcement over the tannoy for the owner of Xxxx to report to customer services - where they would be asked to move.

then again, unless I was in desperate need of a charge to get home I’d probably not bother, and reconcile myself to the fact the owner was an arse and an arse will always be an arse..