Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, it’s now safe to manually pull the door handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I know the system tell you not to pull the manual door release in the Model 3 because it could damage trim (I assume because the window doesn’t lower).

However, I pulled it a few weeks ago (for science!) on the driver’s side - and nothing bad happened. The window does lower as it would when you press the button!

Now, I’ve only had my car from May. I tried it on a buddy’s Model 3 a few weeks back - which he bought in September, 2018. His window also lowered and no damage or any other concerns either.

So, I’m not sure what the warning in the car is for anymore. I understand if the 12V battery dies the door won’t open with the button, and obviously the window won’t lower without power - but then again that’s a necessity to pull the manual handle at that point just to get out of the car.

I feel like, based on my experience with the driver’s side door, there’s no longer any harm in pulling the manual door release. I prefer to, and always - push the button, obviously - but this is more to allay people’s fears about unsuspecting passengers pulling the handle. Doesn’t appear like it’s an issue at all.

Anyone with any further input here?

I believe it may not lower the window as quickly when using the manual release. When using the button, the window is lowered and the door release is triggered under control of the car computer state machine.

When the manual release is pulled, the window lowers when the door latch is opened and the door open is detected by the car.

Likely not a huge difference. Perhaps rubs a bit more opening the door. The critical part is the window is lowered when the door is closed. Either method allows plenty of time for the window to lower before the door is pushed closed.

It's always worked that way. The manual release will *almost* work just like pressing the door button if there is power to the car. The window will go down properly. But if the power is out, the manual release will unlock the door, but the window won't drop, of course.
The only caution is if you are pushing outward on the door and you use the manual release, you may catch the window on the trim, since it unlocks and rolls down the window at the same time. Using the door button will drop the window first, then unlock the door.

Thanks for the replies. Since not all our doors are made exactly the same way (tolerances-wise), perhaps that’s why the warning exists. Either way, it likely isn’t an issue when on the odd occasion someone unfamiliar with the door pulls the handle. No damage will likely be done.

The door is able to be opened before the window has finished moving down with the manual release handle, that is why the warning is there.

If the person opening the door with the manual release lever waits the 1/4 second for the window to move down before pushing the door open, there shouldn't be damage. If however, they instantly are pushing the door open as soon as they pull the handle, that is when excess wear can occur.

Personally, I don't understand why Tesla couldn't have designed the door to never suffer damage when manually opening. My BMW E36 coupe has frameless windows and has no problem being opened and closed. That car design dates back to the early 90s (technically designed in the 80s). The window on that car also responds much faster than Tesla's.

Definitely make sure to renew the lubricant in the Model 3's window regulators, probably within 5 years. Since the windows are used every single time the door is opened, I'm sure the lubricant will fail sooner than on most other cars. On my E36 I clean out the window tracks every 5 years or so, and relubricate them.

I'm about 98% sure the window did not go down originally- which is why the warning was introduced- and they updated the system so that it WOULD go down if the car had power in a later software update.

I wanna say the change was mid-late 2018 and I'd bet there's threads on it if someone cares enough to search for em.

The door is able to be opened before the window has finished moving down with the manual release handle, that is why the warning is there.

If the person opening the door with the manual release lever waits the 1/4 second for the window to move down before pushing the door open, there shouldn't be damage. If however, they instantly are pushing the door open as soon as they pull the handle, that is when excess wear can occur.

I’ve tried and I cannot make the window catch the trim. So I don’t know if you’re guessing that this can happen, or? I can only speak for my car and my friend’s car.

I'm about 98% sure the window did not go down originally- which is why the warning was introduced- and they updated the system so that it WOULD go down if the car had power in a later software update.

I wanna say the change was mid-late 2018 and I'd bet there's threads on it if someone cares enough to search for em.

Yes. I’m pretty sure this is true. Which is why I *feel* like the warning is redundant. If they want to warn that it’s excess wear on the mechanism - that’s one thing. But I do not believe you can hurt the trim based on my small sample of two vehicles.

Reactions: brkaus
It's always worked that way. The manual release will *almost* work just like pressing the door button if there is power to the car. The window will go down properly. But if the power is out, the manual release will unlock the door, but the window won't drop, of course.
The only caution is if you are pushing outward on the door and you use the manual release, you may catch the window on the trim, since it unlocks and rolls down the window at the same time. Using the door button will drop the window first, then unlock the door.

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Today, one of my passengers opened the front passenger door by using the lever and the Model 3 threw out a warning.

I had an anxiety attack, which is pretty common because I have GAD. I was concerned they damaged the window.

I rolled the window all the way down, closed the door, and rolled the window all the way up.

Seemed like it was fine.

Can I please confirm that if there is power, using the lever does lower the window and won’t cause any issues?

Is it common for windows to get damaged this way?

Ty

Can I please confirm that if there is power, using the lever does lower the window and won’t cause any issues?

Yes, that is correct.

Is it common for windows to get damaged this way?
Not if there is power to the car, and you also pause just a beat to make sure the window rolled down like it does when you push the button. At least, not since the timeframe you resurrected this thread from. In 2018 the window did not roll down when you pulled the manual release, but they had changed that by sometime in 2019 from the time of this thread.

I still would recommend using the regular button instead of the manual release, but its been a few years since this was an issue.

Yes, that is correct.

Not if there is power to the car, and you also pause just a beat to make sure the window rolled down like it does when you push the button. At least, not since the timeframe you resurrected this thread from. In 2018 the window did not roll down when you pulled the manual release, but they had changed that by sometime in 2019 from the time of this thread.

I still would recommend using the regular button instead of the manual release, but its been a few years since this was an issue.

Thank you, @jjrandorin & @PianoAl . I truly appreciate your help and input 🙏🏽

Reactions: brkaus
All I'll say is that there's zero percent chance that a new passenger will fail to use the manual release.
I had to laugh at this. I had to remind my wife every time she rode with me for several weeks “Honey… that button that is right where your thumb is when you just naturally rest your arm and hand on the arm rest… yeah that one right there… that is how you open the door.”

I’m sure she was very irritated with me for a while but she finally got it! Love you sweetie!

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
The first thing I do for a new passenger is explain how to exit 😄.

Essentially, find the button with the "Open Door" sticker, then hold it down while pushing out the door.

Do y'all have to hold the button to open your rear doors?

I asked a service center to adjust that. They asked if I had modified anything. Yes, I put "Open Door" stickers on the buttons.

They tested some other cars and declared it "as expected."

I have a 2018 LR rwd Model 3. when I first got the car, hitting the manual release opened the door, but the window did not drop, leaving a little ding in the metal trim. Sometime in the last four years the window began going down in the same way it does with the normal door release. Another hidden upgrade.