Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read on a finance news site that all Polestar 2’s delivered to date (2200 vehicles) are being recalled due to a software “glitch” that can cause cars to cut out completely whilst driving.

That is not what I wanted to hear and really bad for EV competition in the Model 3 category.

Just read on a finance news site that all Polestar 2’s delivered to date (2200 vehicles) are being recalled due to a software “glitch” that can cause cars to cut out completely whilst driving.

That is not what I wanted to hear and really bad for EV competition in the Model 3 category.
843 out of 1,491 registered Polestar 2 cars in Norway are recalled due to this issue.

Polestar 2 is surprisingly popular in Norway even with all the problems with the car so far, while the popularity of Model 3 has plummeted. Solving the sudden death issue will probably reinforce this trend.

Noticed on Bjorn's YouTube video's his test car was suffering from 2 separate rattles so maybe Polestar built quality is not that big a step from Tesla, although I haven't hear of any panel gaps or paint issues.
I actually met Bjorn a couple weeks ago and had a chat with him about the Polestar 2 while he was charging.

The main issue with the car is the energy consumption, so the range is really not impressive compared to the Model 3. He thought it would be way better to opt for smaller wheels (19") and drop the performance pack (20").

The rattling with the steering wheel column is reported by many, so this is obviously a problem. I'm not so sure that the second rattling noise is a real issue, at least it is not widely reported.

(In my Model S I have rattles caused by gravel in the air ducts below the front seats.)

I would not go with the Performance pack on the Polestar, at least with the Tesla Performance you do gain extra speed. Expensive brakes that you barely use and reports suggest the standard suspension is good, if the adjustable suspension was electronic and controlled by different modes from inside the car then good but very few people are going to mess around changing the settings manually. I like the 19" Polestar wheels and I'm would think the ride will be more comfortable and quieter. I love the 20" Tesla wheel design but often wish I could try 18's or 19's to see the difference in noise and comfort.

EPA range on the Polestar is out:
233 miles
which is not really a surprise if you look at the results Bjorn got 435 km (270 miles) at 90 km/h (56 mph) and 305 km (190 miles) at 120 km/h (75 mph).

Its not great for a car with a 78Kwh battery. Its barely more than an M3 SR+ and for LR money.
Given that this is not a city car I think that range combined with lack of SuC network is going to hurt them at least in the UK where the CCS Rapid network is still very hit and miss. Even worse in the US probably.

EPA range on the Polestar is out:
233 miles
which is not really a surprise if you look at the results Bjorn got 435 km (270 miles) at 90 km/h (56 mph) and 305 km (190 miles) at 120 km/h (75 mph).

Its not great for a car with a 78Kwh battery. Its barely more than an M3 SR+ and for LR money.
Given that this is not a city car I think that range combined with lack of SuC network is going to hurt them at least in the UK where the CCS Rapid network is still very hit and miss. Even worse in the US probably.

This really killed my interest (as a competitor, I picked up my model 3 a couple weeks ago). Frankly with the supercharger network an SR+ beats most other EVs on the road, even those with 300+ miles to a charge.

I really like the look of the Polestar 2. I was tempted to get it over the Model 3, but all things considered I don't think it's as good a fit for me.
everyone talks about range, looks etc but the thing that the recent polestar and particularly now the Kona recalls have made me realise is that while Tesla's have their faults they have been making this type of EV for 8 years +. The model 3 has been on the market longer than many other companies have been making any BEV's. Suddenly the M3 feels less like the prototype I have always kinda thought of it as and more like the safe option!!