Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The strange thing is AP1 and AP2 are not synced on this.

I take this to be because the maps are different for AP1 and AP2.
In fact I suspect Tesla would have like the granularity of AP2 maps for AP1, to reduce AP1's use on marginally suitable roads.

More frustrating is AP1's much better handling of lane change - how can they get it so right on AP1 yet AP2 is such a mess (I have yet to test 2018.10.4 yet as only just received it). This cannot even be attibuted to reliability of adjacent traffic detection.

Another change that I've noticed with this update is while auto parallel parking before, it used to back into a car very close and then inch forward to park the car. It used to be very nerve racking and even though I got used to it by now, I'm always on guard whenever it starts backing up. With this new update, it stops at a comfortable distance from a car when reversing. So, even auto parking has been nicely refined now.

So I did some more driving today with this version, and highway autosteer is really nice. I also did some local road tests, and have a couple of videos to share. Sorry but no audio.

The first one is pretty amazing. The video starts with me turning onto a road and immediately engaging autopilot. It ends with me stopping at a light. I did not intervene in between at all:

The second is an instance of hill crest mis-handling, which some folks were looking for. Right around 26 seconds you can see me take over so I didn't run off the road. I think the fact that there was a side road at the top of the crest contributed. Possibly also the power line shadow, though I have not seen those causing many problems lately.

After I wrote the above, I went to track down the source for what I thought I remembered. I have been unable to locate such a source and now question the veracity of this "memory"—I couldn't find it in the user manual. To be sure, Auto Lane Change does not work for me on either surface streets, or some freeways (i.e. divided, controlled-access highways), though it nearly always works on the Interstate highways I have tried it. However, I cannot locate an actual source for my claim, so treat it with skepticism until I or someone else can substantiate it.
It works hit and miss for me. Some days it will work, some days not; on the same stretch of road...

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink
Just did my first test drive of 10.4. Big improvement. First it handles everything my prior releases did (was just on 18.6.1) without regression (on my test roads) as others have reported. What I noticed is that it handled wide lanes much better. Sometimes the right lane (US) is not marked for parked cars or bike lane so it is quite wide. It was able to center as if it was marked. And if there are parked cars is still worked as if they were not there. Like it determined the width of a normal lane using the left marks part and created the right marked even thought not there. And on Freeways it centered very well (normal) and also handled sweeping turns without a problem even at 85 mph. What I really liked was AutoLane Change. It now will gracefully change lanes (like if I was doing it). Before it would kind of dart into the next lane going either left or right. This is maybe my favorite part of the new release.

So I took 10.4 a few laps around highway 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz. We've previously discussed this road. Previous AP2 builds had no chance of being able to deal with it without frequent disengagements whenever a sharp curve was encountered.

This time, I can basically make the whole stretch without intervention except for 1 or 2 disengagements. Some interesting observations about curves:

- During really tight curves (with a posted advisory limit of 40 or 45), AP2 now initiates a slowdown from 60 (my set speed) to around 45 to 53. Most of the times this is adequate to get through a curve, but sometimes it's still hugging the outside line.
- In the times when it's still hugging the outside line, if I drop the speed another 5mph or so, it will center itself again.
- Overall at 50-60mph, it seems like this build is willing to turn the steering wheel around 60 degrees from center, compared to around 20-30 degrees before. This allows it to navigate much tighter curves. However, on CA-17, this is still insufficient for some of the tight hilly turns. Hopefully they'll relax the limit even more in the future.

The only other correctness issue I saw is this build seems to have a propensity to pick the wrong lane when a travel lane splits into a turn lane + a straight lane on CA-17. It's unknown how previous builds handled it -- it was never able to maintain control enough to test this outcome.

Overall, definitely a thumbs up. This build's improvement I think is even greater in magnitude than the sum of all the previous updates since 17.17.4.

Thanks! Love short answers

Medium answer: the thing that’s a lot more responsive is the IC. Before it’d lose a bunch of scrolling before responding, and now the wheels don’t skip a beat.

The MCU is slightly snappier in that they got rid of a lot of the mysterious sluggish slowdowns that would sporadically plague the screen ever since the new kernel update or so.

Overall there is no magical monumental leap in performance of the infotainment, unlike Autopilot!

After I wrote the above, I went to track down the source for what I thought I remembered. I have been unable to locate such a source and now question the veracity of this "memory"—I couldn't find it in the user manual. To be sure, Auto Lane Change does not work for me on either surface streets, or some freeways (i.e. divided, controlled-access highways), though it nearly always works on the Interstate highways I have tried it. However, I cannot locate an actual source for my claim, so treat it with skepticism until I or someone else can substantiate it.

I can corroborate that there are highways where auto lane change was not available, despite having more than one lane.

I have several unexpected warnings today on 10.4, while going up a bridge on the highway. "Auto steer limited to XX mph" and the car slowed down, I can increase the throttle and the car speed up. It doesn't seem to be related to speed limit or traffic as it is cleared in front and no exit traffic sign etc... I am traveling at ~65mph, once it slowed to 40mph, another time slowed to 50mph, and one more @55mph. If I exit autopilot and re-engage it keep the speed up. It seems to be related to going up elevation (nothing I will consider steep). Overall, it's still a big improvements.

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink
So I did some more driving today with this version, and highway autosteer is really nice. I also did some local road tests, and have a couple of videos to share. Sorry but no audio.

The first one is pretty amazing. The video starts with me turning onto a road and immediately engaging autopilot. It ends with me stopping at a light. I did not intervene in between at all:

The second is an instance of hill crest mis-handling, which some folks were looking for. Right around 26 seconds you can see me take over so I didn't run off the road. I think the fact that there was a side road at the top of the crest contributed. Possibly also the power line shadow, though I have not seen those causing many problems lately.

Can't thank you enough for providing this info. Something for all of us to keep in mind when using AP. This seems like a very edge case scenario and I doubt they will solve this any time soon.

Just got off the phone with Tesla support asking why I haven't gotten 10.4 update on one of our cars. He said that they have largely halted sending the update because a small percentage of cars have been experiencing MCU "blackouts" which won't turn back on despite hard resets. The engineering team has been up all night and working 24/7 to resolve it. Expect an updated release (10.5?) soon...