Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I have the new MCU in my MS100D and last night I got a fw update 2018.10.2. Haven’t seen anything about the fw, but I will let y’all know if it’s got similar AP improvements to 10.4.

Hi arrowpine,

Could you post a video of navigation screen while driving ?
How fast does the screen refreshes per second ?
(with MCU1 is seems like approx 3 frames / sec, satellite mode or not is same)

Also, when you zoom in/out, do you see blank tiles beeing getting filled one by one or does the tile filing depend on the LTE network quality ?

Thanks.

Just got off the phone with Tesla support asking why I haven't gotten 10.4 update on one of our cars. He said that they have largely halted sending the update because a small percentage of cars have been experiencing MCU "blackouts" which won't turn back on despite hard resets. The engineering team has been up all night and working 24/7 to resolve it. Expect an updated release (10.5?) soon...

I'm guessing this is the reason why I haven't got the update today. I'll have my car on wifi for most of the business day today, and if it doesn't give me the update today, I'm thinking of calling the SC to see what the deal is.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So I thought it was the ultrasonics yesterday when the motorcycle buzzed me, but this was Too far a distance to be ultrasonics, check out the car in the center video approaching from behind. Or who knows? , I don’t know if my car steered away a bit extra, I was mid way through a manual lane change abd I tensed my hand hard from the warning

With this latest update, it still seems like the AP is confused when there is a motorcycle in the adjacent lane. Even if you and the motorcycle stay in their respective lanes, don’t change lanes and the bike is not close to you at all, you’ll still hear the single beeping proximity alert warning sounds. This happened to me twice now where I was the one passing the motorcycle which was in an adjacent lane both times. Hope this gets sorted out once side cameras are put into use to pick up vehicles.

My car was wedged hard again this morning, no amount of two-finger saluting would bring back the MCU. After about 10 minutes I gave up and decided to start driving, which did whatever magic needed to be done to get it to reboot.

This is gonna be mighty annoying if it's not fixed soon.

We saw an S with the new MCU and 2018.6.50 last Wednesday. It was then upgraded to 2018.10.1. It then had problems (as others have reported) and wouldn't start or reboot.
That is interesting, if they are already sharing software between the 3 and the S/X... If that's the long term plan, it means we're still using to two software forks, Intel and Tegra (or whatever names you want to put on them).

Thanks, David!!

Maybe already mention in this thread but it seams like Tesla has start using the B-pilar cameras even if they isn't a must. Feels like the easiest way to avoid ping pong in the lane, use side cameras to keep a distans to the lanes.

Tesla's AI-based Autopilot tested after owners tape cameras in experiment

I doubt the B-pillars can see the lane lines any better than the forward camera. Those cameras probably can't see the lines immediately below them; the vertical field of view isn't good enough. They can probably see the lines well forward of the car, but then, so can the forward camera (particularly the wide-angle.)

Maybe already mention in this thread but it seams like Tesla has start using the B-pilar cameras even if they isn't a must. Feels like the easiest way to avoid ping pong in the lane, use side cameras to keep a distans to the lanes.

Tesla's AI-based Autopilot tested after owners tape cameras in experiment
No way using the side pillar cameras would be the easiest way to avoid ping pong.

The way to avoid pingpong is not to try to stay as accurately in the center of the lane as possible at all times. Rather it is that philosophy is what creates pingpong effect.

The best way to avoid pingpong is to use the head camera and look at the road ahead. Then plan a smooth path to follow as long ahead as possible within safe distances of road edges, not necessarily always in center.

Think about it. That's how you were taught to drive smooth too, same principle. Look far ahead and plan your driving. Most drivers don't look out the side windows for the centerline.

There have been some murmurings about the the premium sound system not sounding so premium anymore since the latest update, specifically the noticeable loss of bass and a reduction in maximum volume.

My ears are pretty shot and I really can't tell the difference. Has anyone found this to be true?