Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha well I guess I had my hopes raised a bit too high. I finally got this update and took it through the punishing boulevard circuit I use to test its performance through a winding road and alas it's still got a long way to go before it can tackle it. The road has exceptionally clear markings so there is no reason it shouldn't be able to do it with a satisfactory algorithm. It has definitely improved its tracking when the curves are now associated with a crest or dip in the road - it breezed through them as though there were no inclines at all. However the main problem is, as others have pointed out, a resistance to tackling tight curves. The curves are clearly marked and low speed; the whole route is 50km/h. It crossed the lines on multiple occasions and I had to take over, but all of them were where the radius is very small. It also came to almost a complete standstill whilst coming up to parked car which intruded into the lane and just barely manoeuvred past it safely. Other times it was getting too close to parked cars for my liking and I interrupted it. What it did do successfully is negotiate a mini roundabout in the middle of the route - the recommended speed through it is 30km/h so I set it to that and it went through fine. Perhaps what I should do next time is manually drop the speed to all the recommended speeds through the tighter bends and perhaps it will make it then. Hopefully in the future it will read speed signs and do it automatically though.

On the other hand its performance in merging lanes is substantially improved as others have already said. Alas I also have not seen any improvement in take off at lights in stop and go - it's still glacial in response even with tracking set to 1. Note of course that the manual still stipulates it should only be used on highways blah blah but that's no fun.

Last edited:
Got my update and did not notice a major improvement, but I’ve never really had an issue with AP. Our roads here in NW Phienix are all new, all pretty much straight with few curves.

I did notice that it is spotting cars much further away, however they appear in the next lane over for some reason. Thinking of maybe submitting this to Tesla? What’s the email to do that to?

I did notice that it is spotting cars much further away, however they appear in the next lane over for some reason. Thinking of maybe submitting this to Tesla? What’s the email to do that to?
There is none any more. Presumably as Tesla got bigger, many more cars got out there, and the reports got unmanageable so they disabled the email address. Now there are only generic support ones.

Got my update and did not notice a major improvement, but I’ve never really had an issue with AP. Our roads here in NW Phienix are all new, all pretty much straight with few curves.

Wow that is a nice crisp and straight highway! Not surprised even previous builds did well. Those of us with more irregular highways have not fared as well before this update.

Reactions: croman
If there is anyone here who has 2018.10.4 and commutes on Highway 288 in Houston between downtown and Hwy 6, please comment on how it does.

Re-routed lane markings, no shoulder with small curves should offer a very good test.

Last edited:
Either cameras peeking through not enough tape or autopilot using gps data it seems...
Definetly he did NOT cover the cameras enough.

upload_2018-3-20_10-51-53.png

Question out to you guys with 2018.10.4 and Standard Audi System...

The navigation voice is barely possible to hear (even set at max volume) if I drive at freeway speed and have music on 7+. When navigation voice instruction come it will NOT fade down the Audio volume on the left dash speakers. You barely here the navigation voice mixed up with the currently played music. If I turn off the music, the navigation voice is there.

So, seems to be an issue with the function that "lower music volume on the driver speaker, for the navigation voice to be loud and clear".

I know for fact that this is a non issue with the Premium Sound system since I've tested that also. But the Premium HIFI got an extra speaker in the dash so I suspect that what Tesla does is direct the navigation voice to this speaker, but for the Standard Audio system the result is that the nav voice is barely there while playing music.

Anyone else with the same experience?

Question: For those who have the power liftgate, does the app allow you to at least close the liftgate remotely? It would be a shame to accidentally open it while it's parked at the airport or some other public place when you're not around and not be able to close it until you were physically there.

Yes, you can close the trunk with the app. The picture shows the trunk open. You push the button and wait 6-7 seconds then the picture shows the trunk closed. It doesn't let you know if it is opening or closing in real time, but does change the picture once it is opened or closed. The car makes a beep letting you know the trunk is opening or closing but the app does not beep. You also don't get a notification if you accidently press the button and the trunk is now open. If you happen to open the app, you can see the picture with the trunk open, go to controls and close it. Don't hit the button twice. Hit it once and wait at least 10 seconds to see if the picture changes or it will start closing then open again and stay open.[/QUOTE]

At least on my iPhone, unlike the "VENT ROOF" button, the TRUNK buttons don't change when a trunk is open or closed (they always show open); and there's more...

This doesn't seem like a well thought-out feature:
1. It's way too easy to accidentally push one of these buttons...and you may not know that you did.
2. US cars (et al?) don't allow the front trunk to electrically close. If you accidentally open it, you won't know it and won't be able to close it until you get back to the car. NOT good.
3. It's unclear to me how often you'd even want to open/close a trunk when you can't even see the car. This is both a safety and security issue...and can risk damage to the trunk if something is in the way.

And BTW, why not let the app open the roof to more than just the vent position?
And let the app and key fob close all of the windows to make sure that the car is really locked.

Reactions: P100DHG.
Just updated last night and took it for a quick 10 mile drive on the windy hilly roads. My one criticism is that it still hugs the lines too uncomfortably coming out of a bend, on either side, though it never veered over the lines like it always has. I'd certainly be uncomfortable if I were approaching on the other side when this is hugging the center. On this road the guard rails and reflector posts are at times literally right next to the edge of the road, so while it worked when I didn't take over, it is pretty nerve racking to endure. But these are details that I'm sure will be worked out. Watching that one youtube video where the car navigates through a construction cone zone, off the lines, is very impressive.

Curiously, the app said the update failed, even though it showed the new version, both on the app and the car screen, and the screen said it will be updated again.

Same here. You're not alone :)

2. US cars (et al?) don't allow the front trunk to electrically close. If you accidentally open it, you won't know it and won't be able to close it until you get back to the car. NOT good.
The first thing I did when I got the notification on my phone that the update had completed was to walk to the window overlooking where I'd parked the car in the driveway to get wifi, open the app, and press trunk open. It instantly opened the trunk (surprisingly quickly, almost as if it was communicating via the local network), then I pressed "close trunk", and it closed it. I would imagine it would work just the same if I hadn't been peering out a second-floor window at it while I did it, and I definitely live in the US lol.

EDIT: it's early; I haven't had my coffee yet - didn't see FRONT trunk o_O

The first thing I did when I got the notification on my phone that the update had completed was to walk to the window overlooking where I'd parked the car in the driveway to get wifi, open the app, and press trunk open. It instantly opened the trunk (surprisingly quickly, almost as if it was communicating via the local network), then I pressed "close trunk", and it closed it. I would imagine it would work just the same if I hadn't been peering out a second-floor window at it while I did it, and I definitely live in the US lol.

EDIT: it's early; I haven't had my coffee yet - didn't see FRONT trunk o_O

Well....after your post, I realized that my rear trunk issue is actually one of UI design. You're right that the background car image shows the trunk status (I didn't have my coffee either). Like the VENT ROOF and UNLOCK buttons, I was expecting the TRUNK button logos to change to reflect their status...maybe in the next phone app update...

Still, the front trunk issue is a real one. Fortunately, it's less of a safety & security issue than inadvertently opening the rear trunk. Just don't keep any valuables in the frunk.;)