Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After enjoying this release for some time, I had a sanity check placed on this release by my wife driving my car on a long trip the other day (she only rarely drives my car.) It was raining hard and she didn't turn on any feature of the autopilot because she didn't trust it in those conditions; not even the TACC. Then she turned the wipers on manually because the auto setting even on the most sensitive was just acting like an intermittent setting which was nowhere near enough wiping for the amount of rain. Finally she told me to do something about the high beams constantly flicking on and off at random times that had nothing to do with other cars. I tried numerous times to convince her to at least try TACC/AS but she repeatedly refused. All in all, a complete failure for her..

Instead I see a steady stream of videos where drivers are conducting what could be dangerous tests to see what has changed or to find the limitations. If we knew what it was supposed to be able to do, we could test for that capability and the feedback to Tesla would be more meaningful.

While I do agree that it would be nice if Tesla provided more feedback in the OTA logs regarding changes to Autopilot (even something simple like "this update improves auto steer" or "this update makes auto lane change smoother"), I think a lot of the videos you are referring to are from people who simply don't understand what autopilot is. The videos you mention are indeed very dangerous because the users are testing Autopilot for FSD features that we know it does not have. They seem to be under the false impression that Tesla is hiding FSD features in Autopilot and not telling anyone. In reality, Tesla has been quite clear what the general capabilities of Autopilot are and if Tesla does release a new AP feature like auto freeway exit or does release FSD, that will definitely be in the OTA log. Running through stop signs to test if Autopilot can now read them is dangerous and unnecessary.

Reactions: mongo and jrad6515
Am I the only one that think AP1 is still leagues ahead. When I used a loaner AP1 car from them it drove better, had less hold the wheel nag and it saw more things on the road. It quickly determined when there are more than 1 lane. The newest version of AP still struggle with that.

And when the hell will they start to use the 4 side cameras? It's just sitting there now where as it could help AP or even show you your blind spots when you put your turn signal on.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Am I the only one that think AP1 is still leagues ahead. When I used a loaner AP1 car from them it drove better, had less hold the wheel nag and it saw more things on the road. It quickly determined when there are more than 1 lane. The newest version of AP still struggle with that.

And when the hell will they start to use the 4 side cameras? It's just sitting there now where as it could help AP or even show you your blind spots when you put your turn signal on.

I happened to drive an AP1 loaner and I have to agree with you.

Sadly that is what it does. Go and park your car underground and try and unlock/start it.

A direct connection would be nice, but it isn't how it works right now.

Correct.

You guys remember the story about the guy who drove his Tesla into the desert to go for a hike, "cleverly" taking only his phone?

When he returned to his car, he couldn't get back in, as he was well out of cell range.

He hadn't realized that phone app doesn't talk directly to the car, but rather communicates indirectly over the Internet.

No signal = no internet = locked out = face palm.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Correct.

You guys remember the story about the guy who drove his Tesla into the desert to go for a hike, "cleverly" taking only his phone?

When he returned to his car, he couldn't get back in, as he was well out of cell range.

He hadn't realized that phone app doesn't talk directly to the car, but rather communicates indirectly over the Internet.

No signal = no internet = locked out = face palm.

Well, hate to be a jerk, but that guy was a total moron. Failure to understand how his car works. He deserved the grief he caused himself. I'll bet he learned though....

Well, hate to be a jerk, but that guy was a total moron. Failure to understand how his car works. He deserved the grief he caused himself. I'll bet he learned though....

I think that's a little extreme. I consider myself not a total moron and although I would generally not leave my key on purpose, I can easily see how somebody would conclude that this would be fine since the app has unlock buttons on it. I think this is a reasonable honest assumption. Especially since he brought his phone he may not have realized there was no signal.

I'm glad to finally meet one person on the planet whom has never made a mistake, never down anything stupid, and never said anything dumb. Can you help me pick some good stocks? :D

Reactions: ahkahn and ABC2D
I don't want to rifle through the last 34 pages but for those with the premium sound system, have you noticed a deterioration in sound quality since the update, specifically the loss of bass and overall volume? Sounds tinny now.
Yes it is quite sucky now, especially if you are using the Dolby surround option. Mine is pegged at 8 over all parametric EQ settings. Volume at 9 now equals about a 4 or 5 on the old UHF system EQ. The subwoofer rarely if ever fires now and it used to vibe so loudly while playing my Kraftwerk files that the mirrors would shake.

I’m holding back my rage hoping this is a precursor to a completely new audio software upgrade to include the mythical Tesla streaming service. Time will tell.

I actually found the old bass was absurdly boosted in an attempt to give a nice popular consumer sound. It was fine for bass heavy rock, electronic music, pop etc. but was totally unnatural and out of place on acoustic instruments and classical. It's now far more natural. You can't really have it both ways I'm afraid.
So I prefer the old way then. The car is not an audiophile listening chamber to winnow out the nuances of quiet music. The old EQ had many more bands to sculpt the sound to make it suitable for a moving car’s sound environment. Following on your logic, there shouldn’t be any EQ at all. Totally flat EQ coming of FRFR speakers is the most “natural” sound, but so so boring.

There was a significant bass reduction months ago. I'm not a thumping bass fan with the type of music I listen to and go for a more neutral response. I used to crank the bass EQ bar down to -6 or so. I now run it +3. Not to mention overall volume reduction. I have to go to a volume of 9 just to listen to some audio podcasts streaming off my phone now. I'm not sure where they think they are going with the audio system. Backwards in my experience.

So I prefer the old way then. The car is not an audiophile listening chamber to winnow out the nuances of quiet music. The old EQ had many more bands to sculpt the sound to make it suitable for a moving car’s sound environment. Following on your logic, there shouldn’t be any EQ at all. Totally flat EQ coming of FRFR speakers is the most “natural” sound, but so so boring.
You should note I said nothing about the equalisation. You misunderstood, I was talking about the default tone balance which has been changed. I'd prefer there to be much more control over the sound myself too. More equalisation options, old fashioned 'loudness' option, a dynamic compression option or two, speed dependant volume and so on.

Reactions: BlueRocket
There was a significant bass reduction months ago. I'm not a thumping bass fan with the type of music I listen to and go for a more neutral response. I used to crank the bass EQ bar down to -6 or so. I now run it +3. Not to mention overall volume reduction. I have to go to a volume of 9 just to listen to some audio podcasts streaming off my phone now. I'm not sure where they think they are going with the audio system. Backwards in my experience.

I would totally agree with your assessment. I am the opposite, I am a 90's kid who loves bass, and around that same time I noticed the bass isn't really very loud. I pump mine up as loud as it goes, and it still sucks now. It sucks that the car has a subwoofer in the rear, yet it's barely used.

After enjoying this release for some time, I had a sanity check placed on this release by my wife driving my car on a long trip the other day (she only rarely drives my car.) It was raining hard and she didn't turn on any feature of the autopilot because she didn't trust it in those conditions; not even the TACC. Then she turned the wipers on manually because the auto setting even on the most sensitive was just acting like an intermittent setting which was nowhere near enough wiping for the amount of rain. Finally she told me to do something about the high beams constantly flicking on and off at random times that had nothing to do with other cars. I tried numerous times to convince her to at least try TACC/AS but she repeatedly refused. All in all, a complete failure for her..

Haha, well my wife was sold on the car doing automatic parking during a test drive "...we need to get it!"
Now we have the car she refuses to use it as she doesn't trust it.

Reactions: conman