Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the 10.4 update on Tuesday (3/20) on my Dec 2017 Model S. Immediate observation is that AP 2.5 has improved. Especially the ability to stay in the center of the lane at turns and less ping pong. It hugs to the right or left still when a long turn is completed. But that is manageable compared to how it was before.

I have noticed that while AP takes a turn, if there is another slower car in the adjacent lane, the car brakes assuming that the car is in the lane that we are in. This is a hassle as the cars following me have to brake imminently. I usually disengage when it does this and I am above 65 MPH.

The first of a kind experience and not a good thing was my mid-journey reboot of the MCU. The MCU went thru a reboot, the climate control stopped working. It was about 9.00 PM in the night and it was raining. The windows were foggy and my visbility was next to none. Since AP was engaged, the car kept going. I wanted to pull over but thankfully there were only two other cars in the vicinity and I wanted to see how this plays out. After the reboot was completed, I cranked up the heat, pressed the defogger buttons and then got a message that said something like 'Defogging limits are restricted due to vehicle settings....' around this time, the windshield vision was blurry but workable. I rolled the front side windows down and brought them back again to clear the windows. I drove for another 20 minutes but couldn't get my climate control right. Called up the roadside assistance and told them about the climate control malfunction while the MCU rebooted. They have logged a case and are evaluating my logs.

Pictures below

AP_1018_18_4_Pics.JPG

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and NicB72
Here’s a better view of what’s happening with vehicles on the side or in the road! And the obligatory hill crest...I’ll try the same thing with ap2 and see what happens

I have not seen this behavior with AP2.0 18.10.4. There are a lot of streets in Seattle where parking should not be allowed, and it would be fantastic if it would start to automatically adjust position in the lane. Of course, we don't see cars in adjacent lanes yet, although 10.4 might be starting to evaluate adjacent lanes. There's no visible sign of a response to them yet.

This is potentially really interesting. I had assumed that the ultrasonic sensor input was about as good as it was going to get (in part because the range is quite limited).

However, if the signal processing has in some way improved, then this may explain *some* of the new “false” alerts. I hadn’t thought so and just figured the culprit was the forward radar.

Must go read/re-read some of the more technical threads to see what possibilities are left for those sensors.

Am going to feel quite spoiled if and when we ever get the benefit of all 8 cameras as well. Will need a whole new Holiday Egg.

• Love
Reactions: fasteddie7
To me, it looks like they have massively improved the "real-time motion planning" to make it more proactive and to look further ahead.

Have experienced the car on 10.4 "lining up" in advance to take a route between a row of parked cars and a traffic island. In the past, it would either ignore the parked cars, forcing a rapid take-over, or sound a collision alert, forcing a rapid take-over.. The traffic island would have been taken into account, but never with ny confidence - it was often avoided at the last minute.

Have yet to see if the lane positioning during overtaking has been improved. In previous versions, the car would approach the vehicle being overtaken too closely, and would only adjust lane postion once the ultrasonics detected the vehicle.

Got an update notification an hour ago.
View attachment 289300

But my car is at the service center until (probably) Wednesday...

And I’m on 2018.10.4 already!
I didn’t expect any update until the weekend!
What could it be?

I have a MX100D, 12/2017, MCU1, with EAP...
I had a similar experience. I hurried home and installed - just to get 2018.10.4 again (or still).

This is potentially really interesting. I had assumed that the ultrasonic sensor input was about as good as it was going to get (in part because the range is quite limited).
Hi Tao, apologies if I am hashing something you already know. Yea, the Ultrasonic sensor is about as good as it is going to get. I think I might have said this somewhere else. Many people are assuming that if they see a flash on the display from the sensor, that it is the sensor sees that car on the side of the road 100 feet or more ahead. Not the case. It is not a direct one to one system. The forward radar and cameras are seeing the car and ALSO feeding that flash on the display :D

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
View attachment 289300

What could it be?

Because everyone wants 'the new stuff' they often just download the latest. Whether or not it's really new(er). :D 10.4 is still the newest thing we know of for MCU1 cars. (That are not 3's. Unfortunately.)

My center screen crashed and rebooted itself while driving yesterday. I have no idea if it was 10.4 related or not, but I had been driving for about 90 miles when it suddenly went black, the AC went off, the radio went off, and a couple of minutes later the T logo showed up and the system was all back to normal in a few more seconds. Odd.

My center screen crashed and rebooted itself while driving yesterday. I have no idea if it was 10.4 related or not, but I had been driving for about 90 miles when it suddenly went black, the AC went off, the radio went off, and a couple of minutes later the T logo showed up and the system was all back to normal in a few more seconds. Odd.
I had the same today on the way home from work. Thankfully it wasn’t cold so didn’t steam up. It was as if the sat nav went slow and then the lot went off while driving at about 45mph. It didn’t affect driving (was on manual anyway) but still off-putting

View attachment 289300

What could it be?

I got my car back from the SC on Saturday and got a firmware update message after I got home. I was also on 2018.10.4 and when I installed it, it was still 2018.10.4. I was hoping for a newer version but hopefully this coming weekend, we will all start getting the updated navigation firmware.