Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never ever complain when it comes to Tesla.
Except today. SINCE I received notification that the map update (5gb) was done and deployed about 4 days ago, I have had so many IC/MCU issues on 14.2 (AP 2. MCU v.1).

Issue 1: iPhone connected jamming out then... BAM. Random MCU restart. Looses LTE for a good 10~ min or so (not exaggerating). Issue 2: The screen will randomly become completely unresponsive when on a routed map. Issue 3: It’s taking on average, 2-3 minutes to “boot up” (without power saver enabled). Issue 4: I’ll be on a call and the whole MCU just completely freezes. Issue 5: - the IC will show a live call, have the air conditioner overlay AND the sunroof overlay frozen. Issue 6: If I’m reversing and the ultrasonic sensors sense something, it will “ding ding ding” in a repetitive glitchy sound.

Dare I “interesting” (but annoying) issue that happened this morning. Example: Local road, no car near me and no highway overpass. Out of the blue, my AEB kicked throwing me forward and the red “take over wheel” displayed while on AP. Let me be clear there was no threat.

None of this has happened before 14.2. Anyhoo... Just called SC, they’re going to pull logs and call back later.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
2018.14.2 - We've not noticed any particular difference in lane ping ponging. The vector maps on the dash are nice. We've have experienced unwarranted emergency braking a couple of times, which is new for us. OTOH, the homelink seems to be working better.

So the trade off seems to be that you might get rear-ended, but your garage door will automatically close more often.

Had an interesting experience I posted yesterday with this update on that the vehicle stopped visually showing the lines for miles at a time with the blue popping in here or there. Rain and heavy reflections on the road seemed to cause this, but it's crazy autopilot still worked.

I did about 2000 miles on 2018.12 and didn't have any complaints. I got 2018.14.2 a couple weeks ago and have a couple minor issues on the same 375 mile road trip. Overall, it was still very good but compared to 2018.12, I did have a couple instances of it trying to take an exit ramp and then correcting itself. I also had it do some braking when entering a construction zone that 2018.12 didn't have problems with two weeks earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
On 14.2. I notice that now autosteer recognizes wide lanes. The problem with this is when 2 lanes merge and the markings in between disappear AP thinks it is a wide lane and tries to center the car instead of sticking with the continuous original lane markings. This same phenomenon leads to the car trying to take the exit on the freeway when the lanes splits into an exit and a comtiuouing lane. This was not a problem Foe the most part (except for some exits) in previous version until 18.12 or 18.14 (not sure which fw added wide lane recognition).

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My 2015 Model S received 2014.14.2 on Friday (5/4). I never received 2018.10 or .12, so I assume they are all rolled into 14.2.
The only change in Autopilot performance I have noticed so far in the two days since is an improvement in lane keeping with my AP1. It seems much, much .less prone to wander between the lane lines on the crests of small hills. This improvement is most welcome, as the wandering or "ping pong" has been annoying and sometimes alarming for 2 years or more.

On the other hand, sometime in the past few updates, the car has become much more prone to heavy braking and deceleration when I approach an exit and signal to change lanes in order to exit. The speed drops considerably, even when am some distance from the exit. This sounds very much like the "feature" to have the car slow down as it approached an exit, which I vaguely recall being rolled out a year or so GO. I never experienced it then, but I have definitely seen it in the past 4-6 weeks, previous to receiving 2018.16.2

My 2015 Model S received 2014.14.2 on Friday (5/4). I never received 2018.10 or .12, so I assume they are all rolled into 14.2.
The only change in Autopilot performance I have noticed so far in the two days since is an improvement in lane keeping with my AP1. It seems much, much .less prone to wander between the lane lines on the crests of small hills. This improvement is most welcome, as the wandering or "ping pong" has been annoying and sometimes alarming for 2 years or more.

On the other hand, sometime in the past few updates, the car has become much more prone to heavy braking and deceleration when I approach an exit and signal to change lanes in order to exit. The speed drops considerably, even when am some distance from the exit. This sounds very much like the "feature" to have the car slow down as it approached an exit, which I vaguely recall being rolled out a year or so GO. I never experienced it then, but I have definitely seen it in the past 4-6 weeks, previous to receiving 2018.16.2
I turn off AP when exiting or when exits are present and I'm not taking one. AP1 gets way too confused, and for me, that is a situation where I do not feel safe with AP on.

I turn off AP when exiting or when exits are present and I'm not taking one. AP1 gets way too confused, and for me, that is a situation where I do not feel safe with AP on.

I've found that staying in the middle lane (when there are at least 3) in my AP1 leads to an almost flawless experience. Set the car up for success by keeping it away from the edge cases where it's known to struggle.

Reactions: David29 and tmoz

I have recently begun switching off AP sooner when approaching an exit I will take, to avoid the excessive deceleration that seems to be occurring more often now.

The results are mixed when a lane splits. It may depend upon which side departs the main line.
At one interchange near me (in Westwood, MA, where I-95 Southbound takes a turn south away from what becomes I-93 northbound), the 2-lane right exit uses one lane marked "Exit Only" as well as the right-hand lane that continues past the exit. In this case, I have found the car will stay in the continuing lane and not take the exit.
But at another nearby exit (where state route 24 takes a left exit from I-93 southbound in Randolph) , the car wants to follow the left exit. This leaves me suspecting that the system might be biased to follow the left lane line when the lane widens for such an exit. That would make sense because more exits are right-hand exits than left-hand ones.
In both cases, I try to avoid being in the situation where the car has to choose which side of the split lane to follow, but in any case I am prepared to take over steering if needed.

Until AP can make turns for me via my Nav route, I only let it go straight where no decisions have to be made.
Plus, AP won't swerve to miss a board or chunks of blown out tires on the highway, so one has to always be alert for that.
Nevertheless, it does relieve the strain of actively steering, which I tend to forget that steering does actually take effort, until I have to drive my other non-Tesla car.