Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen still last night. I have AP1. It still locks on the car in front if you and turns it blue when the lane lines disappear. Looks like AP2 is still trying to catch up to AP1.
Now now there's no need for yet more of that. AP2 does the same thing, it's just that it sees the lines better. If lines disappear for long enough, the car in front appears blue for us too and it follows that briefly till the lines reappear. This happens on all current releases.

• Disagree
Reactions: Helmuth
Now now there's no need for yet more of that. AP2 does the same thing, it's just that it sees the lines better. If lines disappear for long enough, the car in front appears blue for us too and it follows that briefly till the lines reappear. This happens on all current releases.

I'd like to see proof of this. My AP2 car has never, not once, shown a blue car in front of me that it was tracking.

I'd like to see proof of this. My AP2 car has never, not once, shown a blue car in front of me that it was tracking.
How long have you had your car? I know we saw it tracking a blue car on AP2 over a year ago for short distances. This video shows it tracking a blue car at 3:20 in version 17.17.4.

Later, it would still track them but they only showed blue very briefly. Jump to 3:10 in this video:

Around 2018.10.4, we noticed a change where it was no longer tracking cars that it used to and our cars would fail to go through certain instructions that used to be no problem. Jump to 4:30 in this video:

I'm still on an older version and haven't seen it track blue in a while but others report it still works that way in their cars.

Tested out 2018.21.9 this morning and the highway transition works pretty well. Max speed is automatically adjusted down during the transition and then adjusted back up to what I had it set for on first highway. Not too bad. It will not exit the highway on it's own however, only on transitions that are a lane continuation off the first highway and on to the second.

Also seems to use map data for speed adjustment for AP now, or camera view for adjustments of speed on curves is further "reaching". I tested on a local back road with very sharp turns that I have used for testing in prior versions and it seems to slow down in advance of very sharp turns much earlier. This might also be due to further camera data being used than in the past. Interestingly even though it slows much more for sharp curves, it failed in the same spots as always, so no improvement in performance even though slower. Also seems to use G force to adjust speed, but I noticed that in earlier versions as well, just more in this version. Drives like my 16 year old daughter with a permit, enters to corner too fast and then slows down mid corner once it realizes it is moving too quick for the curve.

Overall I would rate this update "Meh".

How long have you had your car? I know we saw it tracking a blue car on AP2 over a year ago for short distances. This video shows it tracking a blue car at 3:20 in version 17.17.4.

Later, it would still track them but they only showed blue very briefly. Jump to 3:10 in this video:

Around 2018.10.4, we noticed a change where it was no longer tracking cars that it used to and our cars would fail to go through certain instructions that used to be no problem. Jump to 4:30 in this video:

I'm still on an older version and haven't seen it track blue in a while but others report it still works that way in their cars.

Thanks for this! My first version was 17.36 or something around that week, so since then I have never seen a blue car. I have driven AP1 cars since and have seen the blue car so I know what to look for.

Thanks for this! My first version was 17.36 or something around that week, so since then I have never seen a blue car. I have driven AP1 cars since and have seen the blue car so I know what to look for.
Yea by then, the blue car was all of a half-second occurrence when going over bumps. Blink and you’ll miss it. Definitely it’s never been like AP1 where it will enter minutes worth of blue car mode when following another car closely or with mildly worn out lane markings.

Post 2018.10.4, even the in car manual removed all references to blue car mode. It simply says now something to the effect that it may determine lane lines based off drivers in front of you. It’s a different approach but seems to have its merits too. Even in situations where there’s no car in front but two cars beside you, it can take curved intersections more correctly than when doing it alone.

My AP1 car was slowing for exits before this update, regardless of whether navigation was on. Annoyingly so, in fact. And inconsistently -- did it for some exits but not all. It seemed to slow when you have AP on, signal to change lanes, and there is no travel lane to the right. It may also "know" there is an exit from its maps, but I am not certain of that.
I say "annoyingly so" because, In some instances, it slows too much and/or too early and runs the risk of causing a rear-end accident, so I have been turning off AP before I signal to take an exit. In other words, I had not found it useful. I will have to see if it is any better with this latest version.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
The HOLD is the evolution of the "Hill Hold" feature of the "older" Tesla's that introduced the electronic e-brake over the previous mechanical e-brake. The intent was to allow the driver to engage the e-brake when the car is on an incline/decline to prevent rollback. Tesla updated the cars to allow it to automatically engage the e-brake when the car is on incline/decline so re-purposed the feature to be a HOLD that can be engaged when you press the brake slightly beyond "full stop", and allow you to rest your foot and not have to hold the brake down....its also used for launching!

Don't think so, as I never touch the brake when pulling up to people on AP1 and yet still get this hold. It's a word HOLD, that shows up on the screen. I think this one is related to the lack of confidence the car has that the path is clear ahead. As someone else said it may have detected a pedestrian, some object too close to the car, or some such thing.

On another note I just returned from my third 5000 plus mile trip. My brother was driving the car and we tested the nag length, it was 2 minutes 10 seconds. I'm on an older version of software, 2018.16. It took 2 minutes 10 seconds exactly to go to the hold steering wheel text. A few seconds to do the flashing white surround, etc. We never let it go all the way. Tried it three times to make sure it was exactly the same.

Last edited:
Then please explain to me how the orange trick fools the nag screen?

I will agree the grip sensor isn't very sensitive or consistent (parts of the wheel are dead).

There is no grip sensor. An orange has weight, so it will feel, to the car, as if a human is slightly exerting pressure on one side of the wheel. This is registered by the torque sensor.

I thought I read where this still existed but they had eliminated the blue car signal so now if/when it occurred we have no idea. Not sure if that was legal’s idea or engineering’s. :confused:

I’d guess probably Karpathy’s. Rather than having the network just identify cars ahead and have hard coded following when lane lines are missing, use the car ahead as one piece of information giving a hint as to lane lines and let the network learn how to figure it out in a more general way.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and croman
I came from .20 too. It was extremely proficient on curvy roads. I will test it today on our drive on 101 from Gearhart to Cannon Beach and tomorrow on a curve near my home that it has always failed spectacularly.
F96259E4-35C2-4CDB-BCC6-83ACBD7D151F.jpeg