Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea what domain the update image comes from?

Have logs of a few different tesla domains the car just pinged.

2018-09-30 22:58:58 A www.teslamotors.com
2018-09-30 22:56:27 AAAA tesla-hermes-snapshot-motors.s3.amazonaws.com
2018-09-30 22:55:15 A telemetry-prd.vn.tesla.services
2018-09-30 22:51:08 A daws.tesla.services

You probably won’t see it in your DNS log, I think it gets the URL over VPN. If you sniff the traffic you will ultimately see the URL it downloads (forgot what it was) and can even download the image, but useless since it it encrypted.

No ULC confirmed, as expected.
The Navigate on Autopilot option was greyed out after the update until additional cameras could be calibrated. After 5 miles of driving, the option was enabled and... I love this freakin car and company!

With regards to Navigate on Autopilot, I needed to confirm all lane changes. The option for unconfirmed lane changes, as seen on preliminary v9 videos, is not available. During a quick late-night test drive, EAP was able to navigate interchanges and exit the freeway onto local roads. When exiting onto local roads, the vehicle would slow down to the displayed speed limits. In daily use, I'll probably feel safer turning off EAP as soon as I start exiting to a local road. Overall, I found the user interface and experience to be robust and look forward to testing it out further. A few other notes: the display now shows actual lane widths and I was able to navigate a difficult local road with cars parked on the side that EAP was never able to previously.

Any idea what domain the update image comes from?

Have logs of a few different tesla domains the car just pinged.

2018-09-30 22:58:58 A www.teslamotors.com
2018-09-30 22:56:27 AAAA tesla-hermes-snapshot-motors.s3.amazonaws.com
2018-09-30 22:55:15 A telemetry-prd.vn.tesla.services
2018-09-30 22:51:08 A daws.tesla.services
The firmware isnt loaded over vpn

It will be downloaded from va.teslamotors.com

You probably won’t see it in your DNS log, I think it gets the URL over VPN. If you sniff the traffic you will ultimately see the URL it downloads (forgot what it was) and can even download the image, but useless since it it encrypted.
In the past, the encrypted firmware update files were downloaded via HTTP, so there was a DNS lookup prior. I think it came from CDN servers like AWS or akamai in the past.