Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until I drive another Model 3 with V9, I can't make a decision if all of these new features are worth in lieu of giving up my pre-April low-nag version.

At some point when I take it to the SC for any reason they will update it, but until then I am thinking of enjoying an almost nag-free drives over all these new features... don't know

Last edited:
I wish they would add an option to turn off media. It starts auto playing music from my iPhone every time I get in the car or end a call. Was hoping v9 would improve this, but doesn't seem to, if anything it is worse.
For me, since V9, every time I get in my car I see the music app on my iPhone starting to play (silently because I have my car’s media player set to slacker streaming which by the way is not starting to play automatically like it used to). I think this is a bug that’s needs addressed in future releases. With V8, streaming used to start automatically where I left it before leaving the car and iPhone music only started if I had it playing when I left the car. Now it seems to always defaulting or triggering the iPhone music.

Reactions: Sambas
Wow. Some serious downer posts in here.

I personally really like the new UI. It seems easier to access at the bottom for me and more logically laid out. I sometimes drive with the rear camera on and it works just fine at the bottom. This nonsense of it being “useless” because it sits a few inches lower is crazy.
I have absolutely no problems with the auto steer and staying perfectly centered. Seems very stable as it has been for a few updates. And I will go so far as to say it is smoother on acceleration and slowing in traffic. Not so jerky anymore. I really like it.
Navigation with exit numbers is also very welcomed! And I love the sharing of direction with my phone now before I even get to the car. Small feature but very handy indeed.

I do wish we had the Drive on a Nav feature and I’m disappointed it’s not done yet. But I get it why it’s delayed so I’m not gonna get to worried about it for now.

Bottom line is I would recommend this to anyone considering whether to update or not.

Definitely agree with this. Maybe if you have a pre AP2.0 car the update may not be worth it, but its a no brainier update for everyone else.
I was one of the ones that always had the rear camera on the top half, but now with the blind spot detection its really a non issue. Plus, you can still have the backup camera if you want...the 8" lower position on the screen isnt going to make or break it.
I actually like the new UI, it feels fresh and updated. The one one was pretty basic...felt like two separate screens most times instead of one cohesive one. Then you have the auto lane change on local streets for AP2.0+, which is awesome. Add in the ability to send navigation direction from your phone and those three reasons definitely outweigh the small downside of not being able to have the rear camera on the top half of the screen.

I am not a big fan of the whole cosmetic UI refresh. For me the ability to have split screen apps was the main feature of the MCU screen. Taking that away is a step back.
The main features in V9 that I like are the ability the send navigation to the MCU from the phone, the 360 view on IC screen with blind spot monitoring.
Tesla waisted time on some unecessary visual changes whereas the could have used the time better to improve EAP.

Per TeslaFi looks like the rollout has stalled a bit? 52 installs early this morning and then stop...

All sold out?

Personally I only use the camera when going in reverse, so it is a non-issue for me, but if enough people complain it shouldn't be too hard for Tesla to enable an option to drag it up to the top over the nav and keep it there for those of you using it while driving. I don't know why they wouldn't have done this at the onset as many people have already voiced concern about this. I can see them wanting to change peoples habits by using blind spot monitors on newer cars, but what about the AP1 cars like mine?

In the meantime drivers who have updated will continue to gather data for Tesla so that when the rest of you come on board the driver assistances will work better than they do now.

Reactions: Magus
Wow. Some serious downer posts in here.

I personally really like the new UI. It seems easier to access at the bottom for me and more logically laid out. I sometimes drive with the rear camera on and it works just fine at the bottom. This nonsense of it being “useless” because it sits a few inches lower is crazy.
I have absolutely no problems with the auto steer and staying perfectly centered. Seems very stable as it has been for a few updates. And I will go so far as to say it is smoother on acceleration and slowing in traffic. Not so jerky anymore. I really like it.
Navigation with exit numbers is also very welcomed! And I love the sharing of direction with my phone now before I even get to the car. Small feature but very handy indeed.

I do wish we had the Drive on a Nav feature and I’m disappointed it’s not done yet. But I get it why it’s delayed so I’m not gonna get to worried about it for now.

Bottom line is I would recommend this to anyone considering whether to update or not.

Yes, you beat me to it on those comments. And to add that just one of the reasons of having moved selections to the bottom of the screen come from comments of some people that sit further back in the driver seat and needed to lean forward to make selections at the top of the screen on the S and X because of the slant of the display. Some of those people may be happy that selections are at the bottom for most everything regularly chosen while driving. It's good to hear comments, yet bottom line is that not everyone is going to be happy with some of the changes. There are some I don't like either, but over-all the improvements far outweigh the prior version for us.

I haven’t updated yet. I’m reading these comments and it looks like for my AP1 it’s a mixed bag. The thing that strikes me most is that it seems like the revolutionary claims that this was finally going to add FSD unique features etc have all fallen away one by one. Aren’t AP2.x owners disappointed by that? When the update was delayed another month I thought ‘ ok, they finally learned its better to finish and deliver on promises late than to ditch features that aren’t ready’. Now it seems like they did both.

I don’t own a mode 3, but it seems like making the UI form factor different was the opposite of an inspired move. Now they forever have to hamstring the display on the larger S/X for the sake of development commonality with 3. Pretty dumb to limit the expensive product to the proletariat model capabilities.

I haven’t updated yet. I’m reading these comments and it looks like for my AP1 it’s a mixed bag. The thing that strikes me most is that it seems like the revolutionary claims that this was finally going to add FSD unique features etc have all fallen away one by one. Aren’t AP2.x owners disappointed by that? When the update was delayed another month I thought ‘ ok, they finally learned its better to finish and deliver on promises late than to ditch features that aren’t ready’. Now it seems like they did both.

I don’t own a mode 3, but it seems like making the UI form factor different was the opposite of an inspired move. Now they forever have to hamstring the display on the larger S/X for the sake of development commonality with 3. Pretty dumb to limit the expensive product to the proletariat model capabilities.

Not disappointed at all, in fact, thoroughly happy with v9. I'm not seeing any of the regressions that others are seeing, other than for around the first 25 or so miles Autopilot was a bit unstable around corners. But it seems like after about 50 miles of driving, Autopilot is a totally new beast, able to take on crazy sharp turns, most cloverleafs, etc. Definitely next level capability for me.

Lane Change behavior is pretty awesome. If you flick your turn signal on with a car directly next to you, it seems to make a decision between whether to speed up (within TACC limitations) to merge ahead of the person or to slow down and go behind.

Overall sure, you can say it's the same set of Autopilot features, but everything just feels better now. Sure I can't wait for more automation features, but for now, v9 was more of an update than I expected. Especially compared to all the ridiculous hyping around v8 and it was basically just a basic reskin of the UI.

And I guess I'm in the minority of people who like the new UI changes.

I'm on AP2.5. I'll probably keep driving it around for the next few days to see if anything changes. Is there maybe some kind of re-calibration period that I don't know about?

I don’t believe there is (much of a) recalibration period. Staying straight in my lane solidly worked immediately after the update for me. You’re definitely not the only one I’ve seen reporting ping-ponging, though. I wonder if it could be AP2 vs 2.5.... they do use different cameras.

• Informative
Reactions: BinaryField
I don’t believe there is (much of a) recalibration period. Staying straight in my lane solidly worked immediately after the update for me. You’re definitely not the only one I’ve seen reporting ping-ponging, though. I wonder if it could be AP2 vs 2.5.... they do use different cameras.

Staying straight when the lanes were straight worked immediately for me, but going through intersections and taking mild curves was wonky and even threw up red hands once in the first 2 miles that I used it. Also, the handoff of surround view between the various camera angles was very glitchy at first -- almost every car would duplicate, teleport further away, etc. But now I can barely get it to glitch once in miles of driving.

Maybe there's some per-car variance too in terms of how well your cameras are calibrated or the angle of the pillar cams. The lane lines to your side and rear appear to be dynamically drawn -- when cresting over a hill, the rear lane lines disappear and then grow back. I wouldn't be surprised if getting odd data from any of the cameras results in weird Autopilot behavior, especially since Tesla claims the B pillar cams are used to deal with sharp turns.

I'm curious for those who are having odd AP behavior if taking it on the highway for a few dozen miles makes a difference. It definitely changed the behavior for me.

Not disappointed at all, in fact, thoroughly happy with v9. I'm not seeing any of the regressions that others are seeing, other than for around the first 25 or so miles Autopilot was a bit unstable around corners. But it seems like after about 50 miles of driving, Autopilot is a totally new beast, able to take on crazy sharp turns, most cloverleafs, etc. Definitely next level capability for me.

Lane Change behavior is pretty awesome. If you flick your turn signal on with a car directly next to you, it seems to make a decision between whether to speed up (within TACC limitations) to merge ahead of the person or to slow down and go behind.

Overall sure, you can say it's the same set of Autopilot features, but everything just feels better now. Sure I can't wait for more automation features, but for now, v9 was more of an update than I expected. Especially compared to all the ridiculous hyping around v8 and it was basically just a basic reskin of the UI.

And I guess I'm in the minority of people who like the new UI changes.

My AP is better behaved today. Same intersections that generated wild sharp dinks and dives now were just slight nudges (which I felt through the wheel, passengers were not unnerved). Maybe the cameras were shadow calibrating -- but I'm even more vigilant until the next few patches come through.

I tested pedestrian detection downtown. Its not perfect but its freaking amazing to see. it detects passengers leaving the vehicle once the doors close (repeater cam is blocked by door and b-pillar camera looks slightly forward so rear passengers alighting or departing are missed until they step forward past b-pillar, door closes or they step wide of the car). I am very impressed with how much better it is at recognizing and classifying a variety of things. It does think a LEAF is an SUV for some reason but I could careless as long as it sees it (which it does).

IC representations are still skittish and locations of displayed vehicles are prone to bouncing around. Its clear work still remains but its a significant upgrade.

As far as vehicle control (apart from interesections), highway driving was rock solid. Local lane following is even better (outside of intersections yesterday). It even was able to complete a section of roadway where the road sharply curves and a private lane splits off (going in the direction of the travel before the curve) and it kept following the double yellows in the center of the road instead of the solid white right verge. This is the first firmware build to successfully make it through my torture test road (except stop lights (3 over 6 miles). It didn't cross the double yellows on the S curves but it did get close (30mph zone done at 29mph AS). It doesn't slow down ahead of curves like AP1 (it slows after the curve g force is unacceptable). I hope that will also improve along with even more cautious turning, especially on ramps leading into restricted highways.